Google Maps? Anyone have .apk?

Chief Wahoo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not sure what I did, but could not access Google Maps yesterday (just kept sticking before bringing up the map. So, somehow (user error, I am sure) I tried to uninstall the application, with the intent to reinstall it.

The problem is that now when I go into the Market both options ("open" and "uninstall") are grayed out and I can not access the application.

Anyone have the .apk or know where I can get it? Or alternatively, what options I have to get Google Maps back?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks

That link there says Google_earth.apk...that's not maps...

I could be wrong, but I think you could download it from the market since they released the update with buzz/multitouch...

If not, I'll see what I can do about uploading it to my host for you...

EDIT: Uploaded it anyway...Here's Maps 4.0 with buzz and multitouch!

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=a121045b3a2db72ee5c3dee5769931ec7e51fd4bb1c16161cbf192767de0ad64

I trust you know how to install it yourself? :D

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

That link there says Google_earth.apk...that's not maps...

I could be wrong, but I think you could download it from the market since they released the update with buzz/multitouch...

If not, I'll see what I can do about uploading it to my host for you...

EDIT: Uploaded it anyway...Here's Maps 4.0 with buzz and multitouch!

Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire

I trust you know how to install it yourself? :D

Excellent reply and thanks for sharing the link :)

OP
C

Chief Wahoo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I appreciate it - downloaded and installed the app, but when I try to open it I get a Force Close with the message "Sorry! The application Maps (process.com.google.android.apps.maps has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

Will try rebooting the phone and see if that helps, but not confident that it will fix the problem.

OP
C

Chief Wahoo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Actually, I am not - running BuglessBeast1.1.

Edit - just rebooted and still receiving same error. Nothing really changed on my phone, so this error is perplexing.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
I has a problem with my maps. They wouldn't show or install.

I had to remove the app via the terminal and then remove it from applications then I was able to install.

Get a terminal app from the market and open it up.

Type su to gain super user control.
Type rm /system/app/Maps.apk

Exit the terminal emulator.

Go to your home > Settings > Applications > Manage Applications - settings - filter all

From that point look for com.android.maps.apk or maps and try to uninstall it. Then reboot, go to market and see if you can install it.

I can't promise this will fix your problem or you won't break something, cause you might lol, but that's what worked for me.

OP
C

Chief Wahoo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
We are getting close. . .just a bit more help

I open the Terminal emulator i used to access root.

At the $ sign I enter su and hit enter, I enter the rm /system/app/Maps.apk and hit enter and the return message is "rm failed for /system/app/Maps.apk, Read-only file system"

By the way, when I first opened the emulator the first line says
"$ export PATH=/data/local/bin:$path" - not sure if that is what it is supposed to say, but didn't want to not list that, in case that had something to do with the error.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
It sounds, and this is where my help gets patchy lol, that you are having root issues.

Is it possible for you to re flash the custom rom, and wipe data and do a factory reset?

I know that sounds extensive, but when you swap from rom too rom without wiping data, you are carrying left over info from the previous roms and it can cause problems.

OP
C

Chief Wahoo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Last weekend I essentially had to unroot, re-root, re-install the ROM and the whole 9 yards, including readding all applications, etc. So I have been on the same ROM all week. Your logic makes sense but I wonder how screwed up it could be after being completely a fresh flash last week.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
This is a tough one for me. You might have to look around the forums for terminal commands to possibly gain access to the file... I'm on my phone so I can't find some of really good ones I have on my comp :(

billyidle

Reaction score
In the original post, you said you tried uninstalling Maps, and that's when the issues started right? I'm sure that is the root of your problem, I have no solution however.

How about flashing DroidMod, then reflashing your current mod?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Or, if you have a nandroid backup from before you were messing around, you should be able to just restore to that...i think...if you backed the right things up in advanced nandroid...

Idk why that apk didn't work...I'm guessing maybe because it was from an update...? I'll try snatching the full apk later today and upload it if out looks like there's a difference...but I'd still attempt a restore. Sort if you already did. I can't remember and I'm on a break @work, so I can't go back and look...