Google completes $1.1 billion HTC deal

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
google-android-phone.png

Google's billion-dollar deal to acquire a part of HTC (along with a non-exclusive license for its intellectual property) is done. The two companies announced its completion tonight, and the details appear to be the same as originally announced. While the team behind the Pixel phones is joining Google, HTC says it will continue to make mobile devices under its own brand name while using Vive products to compete in VR. It won't stop there either, as the company says it will pursue innovations in AR, AI and IoT technology.

Continue Reading @ Engadget

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Happy to see Google with a little more direct control over their phones, without stifling competition by allowing HTC to continue on.

Hopefully we'll get more up-to-date hardware in Pixel phones and possibly remove LG from the equation, which I'm totally cool with.

kinfolk248

Reaction score
Nothing will change. Google will still flip-flop on ideas and the implementation of said ideas. They simply purchased patents and copyrights, that's all...

kinfolk248

Reaction score
they done that when they purchased motorola. maybe this time will be different.
HTC and Motorola have different patents being that they are two different companies. Now Google has two of their portfolios now. But I'm confident Google won't make any executive Apple style decisions and put their down. Pains to say that but I'm afraid it may be true.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
they done that when they purchased motorola. maybe this time will be different.
Google put many of Moto's ideas and patents to use. Many of the features of stock Android today were because of Moto only features at the time they bought them. Anyone who remembers the old Moto Actions (or whatever it was called) would realize that many of those features are now part of stock Android that we all get to use. Them buying Moto paid off for all Android users...and spawned the Moto X, one of the most revolutionary phones made in my opinion.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

ayanav

Banned
Reaction score
To see what will be the guideline of these smartphones and what will be the products offered by this collaboration. But in front of Samsung and Apple I wonder what means they will put in place to position themselves well in the market.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
iphone 8 galaxy note 10

Last edited: