Google Strikes $1.1 Billion Deal With HTC

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
htc-google-jpg.77916

Google has just secured the next 10-20 years of their hardware development future with a $1.1 Billion transaction with HTC. They have acquired part of HTC's mobile team. These are the same members who have already been working closely with Google to work on Pixel devices. The deal also includes a non-exclusive license for HTC intellectual property.

HTC will only employ about 2,000 of the original 4,000 design staffers after the acquisition. This means that Google just picked up a bunch of talent. HTC will continue to build their own smartphone and VIVE virtual reality business following the acquisition.

via Google

Attachments

• htc-google.jpg
    htc-google.jpg
    506.3 KB · Views: 3,355

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Lets hope they don't turn around in a hear and sell this company to China too.

don't think that is going to happen this time. they have the pixel this time and that was something they did not have when motorola was purchased and sold. but then...

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
Let me guess. They hired all the engineers who told HTC execs that nobody needs a phone that lasts more than four hours on a single charge.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Sweetheart deal to save a struggling HTC from $50M in severance packages and shattering morale.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
they had the Nexus last time...what's different

the difference is, htc is already building for phones for google. not the case when google purchased motorola. It took almost 3 years after the purchase for them to build a nexus - just a couple of months before they were sold again.