Google App Inventor Out of Beta

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
google-app-inventor.gif

For those Do-It-Yourself people out there, Google's DIY Android "pseudo-programming app", Google App Inventor, is out of beta and available now. The app allows you to customize some of the things your phone can do, and it allows you to create your own custom apps, without having to write a single line of code. It's designed to help those of us who don't want to spend years learning how to program, but still want to exercise creativity and ingenuity. Supposedly, the app was actually thoroughly tested with several different target groups. Notably even their "high-school girls" group seemed to fathom its use.

[video=youtube;8ADwPLSFeY8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ADwPLSFeY8[/video]

The process involves dragging around code-wrapped images designed to 'piece together' tasks and actions in order to create a cohesive pattern of action. One example given was that you could setup your phone to send a specific text under certain preset conditions. You can even create simple games. The possibilities seem limitless with the power of imagination 'taking the reins'. I suspect that this will become one of the most popular downloads from the market. What do you guys think?

Get started today by following the link here: http://appinventor.googlelabs.com/learn/setup/

Source: Google via Phonearena
by dgstorm

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Awesome find danDroid!!

DroidForums junkie!!

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had the beta for awhile and it was pretty straightforward and easy to use. I wish they would have an option to show the code, though. Because for an untrained hack such as myself, that would help in learning how to actually code the stuff.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
+1! I feel so under par! :(

I had the beta for awhile and it was pretty straightforward and easy to use. I wish they would have an option to show the code, though. Because for an untrained hack such as myself, that would help in learning how to actually code the stuff.

DroidForums junkie!!

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
I wrote several apps with appinventor and while I'll admit it is quick and easy I also think it's extreme limited in it's current form. There are a lot of features and functions missing from appinventor thus for basic apps it's fine but for more advanced apps it's no good.

Mopdaddy

Reaction score
Can you only use the images or can you write your own like you don't know everything but somethings you can do on your own? So can I use both the images and write my own?

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
It is pretty cool, but I do agree with one of the above, I think a few more advanced options would be good. Even if we don't know what to do or how to do it, its a great learning experience. I think its awesome they've come up with something like this in the first place!

Zarniwoop

Reaction score
And now, thanks to this how-to video and this awesome technology, 1000 Fart Apps will soon hit the Market!

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
yea but how many people are going to pay the $25 developer charge (am I mistaken with that number?) I hope this part deters people from doing that, cuz I hadn't thought about how many more apps are going to be able to come out now, and 99% could SUCK!

Reaction score
yea but how many people are going to pay the $25 developer charge (am I mistaken with that number?)

You are correct. I made a simple Silent Hill soundboard that I thought I'd submit (Since there's a serious lack of Silent Hill apps) and got to a screen saying $25 fee. Ha. If only I had $25.... Now I see why people urge you to purchase the 99cent "donation" apps. Poor people make you these awesome apps, and on top of that have to pay $25 :(

Aram58

Reaction score
When the beta came out, Google said they wouldn't allow apps made in app inventor in the market. And btw The final packaged app is huge compared to what it needs to be.

App inventor is what made me decide to start learning c# and eventually java.

Sent from my stunning rooted droid using tapatalk.