How to Build a Twitter client with Google App Inventor

asforel

Reaction score
A couple days ago (and again yesterday, it seems) Google started sending out rounds of invites for its new App Inventor beta. Google App Inventor is a web-based, drag-and-drop Android application building tool.
Using App Inventor for Android you can easily develop in real-time on a live device (as you build the app it is rendered live on screen). Making changes in the designer or blocks editor (more on those in a bit) instantly updates your device, ready to test.
Before you get started, there is a minor amount of setup (including installing some App Inventor helper software on your machine) but the process seemed fairly simple. There is also a great selection of tutorials up already, featuring complete instructions to build numerous different apps.
How App Inventor Works
App Inventor is composed of two basic pieces: the designer window and the block editor. The design page is where you actually construct the interface, name elements, etc. The blocks editor is much more fun, featuring a drag-and-drop building block style for creating functions (making your app actually do something).
As you build and edit in the designer, the blocks editor will automatically update, adding new blocks and functions. The blocks are clearly and logically labeled, making building with them a breeze.

Hope this can help dancedroid

iPirate

Reaction score
I got my acceptance today!

holy crap this thing looks more confusing than writing the app myself in eclipse...

Last edited: