gmail and email

cosmonaut

Reaction score
Both gmail and email icons are on my Droid making double notifications even though I only have one account, gmail. How do I turn on of them off?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Both gmail and email icons are on my Droid making double notifications even though I only have one account, gmail. How do I turn on of them off?

Well, you can try and remove the account of the email but it kept reappearing on my phone.

What I did was a factory data reset on my Droid and then logged into only my gmail account. I never use the other email account and you have to log into gmail because it's a google phone. So try to remove it first and if that doesn't work due the factory data reset under your privacy settings. The only thing it will do is clear your data and you will have to log into things again, your apps will not be removed. Clean and simple and probably not a bad idea to do on the Droid anyway maybe once a year or so. Just to refresh everything.

Dustinmj

Reaction score
The easiest thing to do is choose an app, then disable notifications from the other one :)... aside from that you can always rename one of the apps and it's respective .odex in your system's app folder

OR

Disable notifications in Gmail, delete your emails from 'Email' app, and download k9 email from the market... I prefer k9 over the stock apps (it has batch 'mark as read')... ahhhhh

Autostarts should be able to keep both Email and Gmail from starting up on device boot to keep them out of memory if you use K9

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I just went to account and sync - and just removed my regular email account.

Yeah, I tried that too but if your regular email account is gmail it won't come off of there. At least it didn't for me.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why not just go into Email app (or Gmail app if it isn't the main account for the phone) and remove the account? Just turning off notifications for either of the clients works too, but deleting the account from Email app will free up some CPU.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why not just go into Email app (or Gmail app if it isn't the main account for the phone) and remove the account? Just turning off notifications for either of the clients works too, but deleting the account from Email app will free up some CPU.

Well, I tried that and it wouldn't work. He wants to keep the gmail app, as he should and eliminate the other email app. If gmail is your mailing address for some reason you can't delete it from the email application.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score

Well, I tried that and it wouldn't work. He wants to keep the gmail app, as he should and eliminate the other email app. If gmail is your mailing address for some reason you can't delete it from the email application.

I use the "Gmail" app. My "Email" app has no accounts set up to use it--I think K9 works much better. If you open the stock "Email" app, you should be able to delete any and all accounts in it. May need to long-press on the account to get the menu.

shootingdoc1

Reaction score
To aminaked Thanx! I needed to know how to remove an account from the stock email app. The long press you mentioned (from a couple of days ago) was the trick. I am too new, non-technosavvy to have known that. Again, many thanx.

OP
cosmonaut

cosmonaut

Reaction score

I use the "Gmail" app. My "Email" app has no accounts set up to use it--I think K9 works much better. If you open the stock "Email" app, you should be able to delete any and all accounts in it. May need to long-press on the account to get the menu.

I think that might have done it. Thanks. I only want one gmail account and no other emails.