Glad I chose Verizon!

hobiedude16

Reaction score
So, today, I confirmed why I have Verizon over the other carriers...

We were doing a tough bike ride (62 miles, 3500 feet of climbing), and had finished some of the "attack zones," but then, when we were cruising at an easy pace (about 30 miles into it), my uncle's tire blew out, taking out the rim as well. That means his wheel was destroyed, no fixing the flat to keep on riding. Nobody had a signal out there.... But me! The ATT phones, the T-Mobile, and even the Sprint had 0 signal. I had 3 bars! My uncle used my phone to call his wife to come get him, and all was well.. I am just glad i had Verizon!

Oh yeah, then, go figure, I took my phone to the pool today, and grabbed my towel, not noticing my Droid sitting on it, and slung it on the ground, Chipped the crap out of the bezel, but no other damage. Oh well....

Vulnus

Reaction score
I love how durable the Droid is. I went through four Voyagers before this phone. All of them broke from being dropped. One was even dropped on the carpet from a few feet off the ground and the screen quit.

FDFTW!!

Reaction score
I am also glad I chose Verizon. I had an iPhone 3G with AT&T which worked fine until I moved about 8-9 months ago. You see, I moved out to the sticks, and out here there is no cell service with any carrier, but Verizon. 5 bars 3G at my house, which makes it a natural choice IMO.

AT&T had one bar at best, and was always running on the EDGE network (equivalent of Verizon's 1X I believe)

dwagner88

Reaction score
Yeah, VZW has 3G coverage over basically the entire state of TN, even the bum frick nowhere parts. AT&T doesn't even have 3G in all of the cities in TN, much less T-mob. I haven't dropped a single call since I got my Droid in December. I have been with Verizon for 5 years and have dropped maybe 6-7 calls that entire time, and most of those calls were to T-mobile customers!

BCrawford

Reaction score
I am also glad I chose Verizon. I had an iPhone 3G with AT&T which worked fine until I moved about 8-9 months ago. You see, I moved out to the sticks, and out here there is no cell service with any carrier, but Verizon. 5 bars 3G at my house, which makes it a natural choice IMO.

AT&T had one bar at best, and was always running on the EDGE network (equivalent of Verizon's 1X I believe)

How are you getting 5 bars? :blink:

cosmonaut

Reaction score
Verizon has the best coverage in my area except at my house. I am .38 miles from the tower. I can sit in my front yard and watch the lights blinking to close to it according to Verizon. So I got a network extender and wow is that thing powerful. I am sure all of my neighbors are happy too.

Last edited:

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
This thread is a good example of the problem with comparing carriers. It's the equivalent of the guy that drowned in a river that was on average 12 inches deep.

Carriers vary greatly in both the quality and range of their coverage. Verizon long ago decided to invest in excellent coverage in places where (almost) no one lives. That's great if you're going camping or live in the sticks. On the other hand, carriers with bad reputations in one geographic area can have a great reputation in another. T-Mobile, for example, is, as far as I know, an excellent carrier here in the Seattle area while (I've heard) it's terrible in some other metro areas.

In short, on average, VZW seems to have the best overall coverage. But "averages" and "overall" don't help if you're in an area that isn't well served by a particular carrier.

FDFTW!!

Reaction score

How are you getting 5 bars? :blink:

LOL, you can tell I've been an AT&T customer for a while, huh? dancedroid

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
In short, on average, VZW seems to have the best overall coverage. But "averages" and "overall" don't help if you're in an area that isn't well served by a particular carrier.
Bingo. General discussions on coverage are fairly pointless IMO. Ensure that your carrier has coverage where you need it (that's what the 30 day initial return period is for with carriers that offer it). Every carrier has coverage holes, even in urban areas.

Capt.D

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I had the opposite happen to me at my daughters graduation, we went into the school and I had very little service but they had full with at&t. Oh well can't always be the strongest,,,I was however the only one picking up the campus wifi so that made up for it...My daughter was ribbing me back home about it so I had her log onto myspace without wifi the same time as I did and I had updated before she logged on!!!!!3g at home with Verizon edge with at&t...I mainly bought it because at work in Fourchon, La. at&t is so overcrowded you cannot use the edge hardly at all but Verizon has 3g, I spend alot of time at work so it didn't make sense to pay for an iPhone I could not use that often.

Reaction score
Yeah my wife got back from a road trip into bumfrak nowhere Texas. Reception sucked on her Droid. Friends that had AT&T did much better. But in town in normal use, the droids do much better then any AT&T phones do. So I can live with this. As people said nobody has perfect coverage everywhere.

Capt.D

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I just thought that I work away...28 days at work and 14 home...It makes better sense for me to have a usable phone and to top it off I live in a very small town and will never see 3g from at&t so its a win/win...