Gingerbread update keeps failing!!!

spacemanCO

Reaction score
help!!!!!!

Good to go! I appreciate all the feedback today! After SBFing (NO data wipe afterwards),then updating, I am able to enjoy Gingerbread without losing a single thing on my phone! dancedroid
I really need your help. I am kinda new to all this. Well sort off. i dont understand how to sbf. I have a droid 2 that I think is rooted. Its flashed to cricket though and one of my biggest worries is loosing the flash. I love this phone but i really want gingerbread. I get the same error as you did. about a third of the way through the update i get that exclamation point and my phone reboots.

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
Get the standalone .zip file for your update; if you're a Droid 2 user, it should be somewhere around in the Droid 2 section. Put it in your SD card's top level directory, and rename to update.zip. Reboot to recovery, and choose apply sdcard:update.zip. Check the error message carefully, it probably mentions either /system/bin/logwrapper, or some of the bloatware.

SBF does reset CDMA programming, so if you resort to SBF, you'll have to reflash the phone to Cricket.

silver6054

Reaction score
oh and can i find that .zip file on here?

Edited after rereading!

The SBF process (and the flashing to cricket) will require a computer. The zip file process can be done on your phone. There are links for the Droid 2 Global zip in many places, including this forum. G.Y. referred you to the Droid 2 section as you mentioned that phone rather than the Global.

Last edited:

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/cy...rbread-rom-cm4d2-gb-now-ready-prime-time.htmlhttp://www.droidforums.net/forum/cy...rbread-rom-cm4d2-gb-now-ready-prime-time.htmlFor Droid 2 only
read this thread

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Redflea

Blur_Version.2.3.20.A955.Verizon.en.US.zip

Here ya go - put on SD card root, rename to update.zip, launch stock recovery, select apply update.zip. Done.

Make sure you're doing this over stock Froyo.

Last edited:

silver6054

Reaction score
read this thread

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Redflea

Blur_Version.2.3.20.A955.Verizon.en.US.zip

Here ya go - put on SD card root, rename to update.zip, launch stock recovery, select apply update.zip. Done.

Make sure you're doing this over stock Froyo.

Just a note: the referenced thread is to actually install a new CM7 ROM, you just need to do the part that themib quotes. And if you don't know how to launch stock recovery, look in the Droid Wiki, referenced in the themib's signature, the link to that section is: Android Recovery - The DROID Wiki

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
yes i was just going to clarify that
you just need steps 2-3
For Droid 2 only
2. Download the GB OTA update, place it in the root of your SD card, and rename it to "update.zip". Download this file:Blur_Version.2.3.20.A955.Verizon.en.US.zip.

3. Install using the Update.zip option in stock recovery. Boot into stock recovery by holding the X key when you press the power button, when the triangle with the "!" in it appears, press the Search button on your keyboard (magnifying glass) to enter the stock Recovery menu.

if that doesn't work you may have go back and do step 1 - 3

Last edited:

spacemanCO

Reaction score
So i know you need a computer for the sbf process and flashing but do i need my computer for downlooading the zip and putting it on my sd card is what i meant. I want to do everything i can to prevent sbfing or having to reflash my phone.

silver6054

Reaction score
So i know you need a computer for the sbf process and flashing but do i need my computer for downlooading the zip and putting it on my sd card is what i meant. I want to do everything i can to prevent sbfing or having to reflash my phone.
You don't need a computer for this bit.

You should be able to go to that link with the browser on your phone and download it (to the SD card). Then use a file manager to do the renaming and maybe moving it to the root of the card if the browser puts it elsewhere.

spacemanCO

Reaction score
So I tried updating from the twice. both ttimes it errored out at the verifying package stage. It said there was an error in /sdcard/update.zip

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
think you need to redownload zip

you renamed it update.zip right

silver6054

Reaction score
Is this for D2 or Global? I am out of the country trying to fix a failed update.
Probably Droid 2, as that is the A955, A956 is the global one.

Spaceman, is yours a Droid 2 or a Droid 2 Global? If it is a global DO NOT use this file!

Last edited: