Gingerbread leak signifigantly slower than Focused

djdubd

Reaction score
Not much else to say here, just wanted to get it out there in case people were wondering. I expected it to be slower, but man....didn't realize how spoiled w all were!

I am planning on suffering through it until there is root and recovery anda custom rom. I've also found what parts of BLUR that I actually see (running LauncherProPlus) to be tolerable. You can tell they are just lagging the entire system down though!

Wanted to hear other people's thoughts after running it for a day, anyone (or everyone) else experiencing the same general laginess?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Jakeworld

Reaction score
Not much else to say here, just wanted to get it out there in case people were wondering. I expected it to be slower, but man....didn't realize how spoiled w all were!

I am planning on suffering through it until there is root and recovery anda custom rom. I've also found what parts of BLUR that I actually see (running LauncherProPlus) to be tolerable. You can tell they are just lagging the entire system down though!

Wanted to hear other people's thoughts after running it for a day, anyone (or everyone) else experiencing the same general laginess?

I have been using the GB leak since yesterday, and while I have noticed some general sluggishness while running the default launcher, the build has been running generally quite smooth since the latest LauncherPro update (0.8.4) released today. Using the latest "Flip" transition animations, the launcher is smoother than it has ever been before in my experience. I feel the UI animations could be a bit faster, but they don't appear to be laggy or sluggish in any way.

I have found myself enjoying many of the BLUR features, especially the keyboard. I don't recall the feature in previous revisions, but I have noticed that the keyboard will highlight any misspelled words in red, which helps reduce embarrassing auto-corrections, by drawing attention to the misspelled word in the first place.

The dialer is also pretty nice. It's very responsive, retains the most recent phone call number, contains T9-esque recognition, and is overall quite attractive. I like the shortcut to quickly add a contact with an existing number pending in the dialer. I'm sure some of these features were available in previous BLUR revisions, though due to the general low performance in the past, I spent as little time as possible until alternative ROMs were a viable option, and jumped right to Rubix Focused.

The color scheme is overall quite attractive and the system just feels responsive. It doesn't feel quite as snappy as my ideal setup with Rubix, but it still feels rather quick and very stable. I still don't like all of the bloat, and get tired of the constant DLNA notifications, which enjoy reminding me that I turned off the service, but for what it's worth, Motorola delivered a pretty nice build.

OP
D

djdubd

Reaction score
I'm sure it is signifigantly faster than froyo blur. I don't have much of a baseline either since I found focused soon after I got my x.

jsvanham

Reaction score
Gingerbread is the best out if the box rom by moto. Some cool features that were already discussed. Even though the blur did not slow the phone down as must as before, I believe it has to a little. I think most if us have developed as allergy toward blur.
It will be nice when they get this rooted and drod or team liberty can do their magic.

mcp770

Reaction score
Gingerbread is the best out if the box rom by moto. Some cool features that were already discussed. Even though the blur did not slow the phone down as must as before, I believe it has to a little. I think most if us have developed as allergy toward blur.
It will be nice when they get this rooted and drod or team liberty can do their magic.

Agreed, I think I like the new blur in comparison to the old by far. That mixed with the simple fact I have been without blur for so long I kind of like many aspects I just plain forgot about. I must say however that gingerbread even with full stock blur in motion has incredible battery life. I went nearly 24h on stock gingerbread so far with the extended battery and still have 20% with moderate use. A feat froyo could never think of touching without a custom rom. I'm really liking it and miss root but this is very tolerable and glad I tried it.

Reaction score
read a post on Twitter from P3 that TBH might be releasing a blurless version of GB....not sure if it's for the DX but he does reference needing to be on 2.3.340 to do it so maybe..

P3: "Going to be working with other members of TBH to try and get you a blurless GB as well, no eta on that though we have all the parts"

Additionally he also mentioned that he had a root method...

P3: "OK YOU HAVE TO PROMISE NOT TO KILL MY SERVER, BUT I HAVE ROOT ON CONSUMER GINGERBREAD, pass the word"

Not a whole lot of info there though.

I was planning on heading back to rubiX today because of the sluggishness. Bloated and blurred up GB is way better than I thought and good on Moto for that. They impressed me and I have run it for a lot longer than I had anticipated.

But I think tonight it's back to rubiX until I see a blurless version of GB, custom or not. Hopefully that's rubiX but I completely understand if Drod can't get that done.

prbpci0

Reaction score
How will you guys go back to Rubix from an un-rooted GB? Through an SBF? Contemplating this, I've always installed Clockwork/Bootstrapper as step #1 so I could go back to a nandroid backup, but you can't do this from an un-rooted device, right?

- Pete

Reaction score
I'm gonna SBF back to stock Froyo and then just root, bootstrap and re-install rubiX

prbpci0

Reaction score
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks!

Slightly OT, but help me out if you can: TBH has essentially 'ported' GB to the DX, right? How is that possible without root? Can they not just modify the init process to make one of the shells SUID?

- Pete

Reaction score
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks!

Slightly OT, but help me out if you can: TBH has essentially 'ported' GB to the DX, right? How is that possible without root? Can they not just modify the init process to make one of the shells SUID?

- Pete

It's a version, maybe not the final version, of Gingerbread Moto made for VZW and it will be what is sent out in the form of an OTA whenever it's ready.

As with any leak it's possible that it won't be the exact version that ends up being pushed OTA. They have already found some parts that reference ATT so that'll probably need to be changed before VZW pushes anything which might mean another version.

I would love to know how P3 and TBH gets their hands on these things...just out of curiosity.

OP
D

djdubd

Reaction score
I do have to somewhat retract my prior statements, while it still isn't as fast as Focused, I reinstalled the rooted version today and it is running much better.

I am thinking the might have been other issues causing my lag when I installed before. Only thing I can think that I did different was to format cache.

Really loving it so far, tolerable enough to deal with blur until there is a more streamlined rom out there.

jawonder

Reaction score
I have no problem with Gingerbread it's Fast , Smooth and full of features , to compare it with Rubix , GB is just a stock rom and Rubix isn't . I've use all the roms out there for the Droid x and i can say for a stock rom GB beats most of them including Rubix .

usne8

Reaction score
How will you guys go back to Rubix from an un-rooted GB? Through an SBF? Contemplating this, I've always installed Clockwork/Bootstrapper as step #1 so I could go back to a nandroid backup, but you can't do this from an un-rooted device, right?

- Pete

You can't go back without an SBF. I tried to restore my rubix just for grins and it just rebooted back to GB after the bootstrap to recovery and restore. The rooted, deodexed GB is pretty smooth though.

GB Rooted Deodexed OC'd and Gingercomb Juiced!