Gingerbread for D2G?

AmazinsCowboys

Reaction score
From what I've heard, Verizon signed off on an official Gingerbread build for the Droid X and it will begin rolling out this Friday, May 13th (bad luck!). Anybody know when we can expect an official release of Gingerbread for our Droid 2 Global's? Hope it's soon, can't wait!

jmdale1984

Reaction score
I wouldn't hold your breath... the X is a much more popular phone than the D2G. I'm not sure we'll ever see a Gingerbread OTA. Even if they do do one... they're probably gonna screw it up as bad or worse than the DX's.

On the X, they got jiggy with the bloatware according to some leaked screenshots.

OP
A

AmazinsCowboys

Reaction score
I bet we will get the update soon

Verizon seems to think the D2G is the better phone, on the VZW website the D2G sells for $199.99 while the DX sells for $149.99

Snow02

Reaction score
It's actually more likely that economies of scale just aren't as good for the d2g.

OP
A

AmazinsCowboys

Reaction score
If it wasn't selling, wouldn't VZW drop the price in order to try and sell more?

And if the DX is so popular, why wouldn't they keep the price at $199.99? Anyway, I still think that with the DX and D2G VZW and Moto's top smartphones we will see Gingerbread for D2G soon enough.

Snow02

Reaction score
Again, they likely get the X much cheaper.

Masamichi7

Reaction score
Um, that and the huge reason for the DX price drop is they're trying to clear every single one out of their inventory before the DX2 comes in mid to late May. So therefore, they're making the DX a more attractive low price right now. The Droid 3 doesn't come for a long while, so the D2G is still expensive, plus it has the upgraded cpu.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
As I see it, Droid 2 Global has completely replaced Droid 2 (which is not on sale any more, at least I can't find it in their online store). Therefore, as it's their current “flagship” in the QWERTY line (now, Palm Pre and LG Ally aren't as “up to date”, right? Pre is WebOS, and Ally is 600MHz), I'd guess they will roll out Gingerbread sooner or later.

gthotie5

Reaction score
As I see it, Droid 2 Global has completely replaced Droid 2 (which is not on sale any more, at least I can't find it in their online store). Therefore, as it's their current “flagship” in the QWERTY line (now, Palm Pre and LG Ally aren't as “up to date”, right? Pre is WebOS, and Ally is 600MHz), I'd guess they will roll out Gingerbread sooner or later.

I hope your right cuz i had both but, I kept global because its "Newer"

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Yes the D2G replaced the D2 completely except for the occasional replacement. Some people have gotten a D2G to replace the D2 others got the DX.

As for the price, keep in mind the D2G has a completely different radio capable of both GSM and CDMA while the DX does not. While I am not sure exactly what a "slot" is in regards to mobile CPUs since this term isnt used for desktop CPUs, but the D2G CPU has an extra "slot" in the cpu which is there to improve performance. I dont know if I would call it a flagship phone as they slipped it out pretty quietly, but then again it was on the most elaborate display at my local VZW store with the DX,D2Pro, and a second D2G. Regardless, I do suspect Gingerbread will hit the D2G. It seems like most phones will see atleast one upgrade in there lifetime, but if there lucky, more.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Its already been confirmed that we're getting it by CellZealot and P3Droid. Last i heard it was still being worked on though. Was some problem with the usb not charging although, thats been about 2 weeks ago.

currentweb

Reaction score
Well, NYC is in sight from the right hills.
P3Droid mentioned some weird things when I asked him about the D2G Gingerbread update. He basically said that it wasn't coming soon as per TBH leaking it, but then said that Verizon and Moto are in fact planning to release it in the not-too-distant future. He said he couldn't discuss why he was unable to leak it, but only that he couldn't as of right now.
So, we're getting Gingerbread, but from Verizon in the future instead of a TBH leak now.

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
Well I would like to see the d2g receive ice cream sandwich. As I've seen in the past the google nexus phone should be the first to get 2.4. What os did the og droid initially ship with 1.6(im just guessing and isn't it up to froyo now?) Im more optimistic with Motorola and Verizon keeping that droid does motto in tip top shape. Yea our batch of gb has taken a while to finish baking but the end result should be tasty.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

ben7337

Reaction score
Well I would like to see the d2g receive ice cream sandwich. As I've seen in the past the google nexus phone should be the first to get 2.4. What os did the og droid initially ship with 1.6(im just guessing and isn't it up to froyo now?) Im more optimistic with Motorola and Verizon keeping that droid does motto in tip top shape. Yea our batch of gb has taken a while to finish baking but the end result should be tasty.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Actually the Original droid came with eclair in the form of 2.0, it was the first and ONLY android 2.0 phone, but 2.0 quickly became 2.1 eclair and are counted as the same, 2.2 was the only update that the original droid got and is the only one it will ever officially get. It is most definitely not getting gingerbread. The same can be said of the D2G and DX they will never see beyond gingerbread because the Droid 3 and Droid X2 are coming out super soon and so the older phones will be discontinued and once that happens support pretty much entirely stops.