Gingerbread 6-1-2011

nc_biscuit

Reaction score
I'm just about fed up with this. I just had to do the second battery pull in a week. I had to do one battery pull from September until I updated to GB... idk if it's just my phone or what, but ever since I updated I've had nothing but trouble.

cjriddle22

Reaction score
I'm just about fed up with this. I just had to do the second battery pull in a week. I had to do one battery pull from September until I updated to GB... idk if it's just my phone or what, but ever since I updated I've had nothing but trouble.

Did you do a factory reset after upgrading? If you are not rooted it can be a pain because you will lose all of your data (and apps) and can't easily back it up. A factory reset is recommended because you are changing operating systems entirely and the Froyo system files don't jive with the GB system files.

nc_biscuit

Reaction score

Did you do a factory reset after upgrading? If you are not rooted it can be a pain because you will lose all of your data (and apps) and can't easily back it up. A factory reset is recommended because you are changing operating systems entirely and the Froyo system files don't jive with the GB system files.

I did not... maybe I'll try that because I'm sick of screwing with it.... but damn, all of your apps? That's gonna royally suck.

cjriddle22

Reaction score

I did not... maybe I'll try that because I'm sick of screwing with it.

Do you happen to be rooted? If so, you can easily backup all your apps and data with Titanium Backup. If not, just make sure you are set to have google backup your apps and some data (Setting>Privacy>Backup my data & Auto restore), this will ease the pain when trying to restore your apps. If you did not already have those two options checked then check them and give it some time. It doesn't backup everything automatically, I think it backs up like once a day or something.

nc_biscuit

Reaction score

I did not... maybe I'll try that because I'm sick of screwing with it.

Do you happen to be rooted? If so, you can easily backup all your apps and data with Titanium Backup. If not, just make sure you are set to have google backup your apps and some data (Setting>Privacy>Backup my data & Auto restore), this will ease the pain when trying to restore your apps. If you did not already have those two options checked then check them and give it some time. It doesn't backup everything automatically, I think it backs up like once a day or something.

No, I'm not rooted, but I've considered it... upon thinking about it last night, I would not do a reset unless there was some way to back everything up, it would take me forever if I lost this stuff.

Your post is very helpful, thanks. I will look into this.

bmwnick1

Reaction score
Hi all, I haven't been around the forums in a long time so if my question sounds dumb that's why. I have a rooted droid X but I just realized that I'm still running android 2.2.1. why is this? I checked for updates and it says none. Is it because I am rooted and need to unroot? if so, can someone give me a link to a good one click unroot program? any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks

OP
barski

barski

Reaction score
Hi all, I haven't been around the forums in a long time so if my question sounds dumb that's why. I have a rooted droid X but I just realized that I'm still running android 2.2.1. why is this? I checked for updates and it says none. Is it because I am rooted and need to unroot? if so, can someone give me a link to a good one click unroot program? any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Your best bet would be to back up all your stuff and SBF. But you should be warned if you uprade to the OTA gingerbread you will lose root, and there is no way to get root unless you flash back to 2.2 and install a 2 part file that can be found here. Some people were able to take the OTA while they were rooted. Also if you renamed the bloat you will want to rename them back to there stock values. Sometimes a factory reset will work to get the update.

If you would like to try unrooting you can use z4root which can be found here *UPDATED* [ROM][BETA] CyanogenMod 7 for the Droid X

that should unroot you.

pandies

Reaction score
hey all ...
i have upgraded my droidX with the ota Gingerbread.. how do i remove it so I can root my phone and use other roms and themes..
from what I am reading you lose alot of things rooting the ota update?
Helppp please..
thanks all ..
pandies

FernBch

Reaction score
SBF back to Froyo. Search here, there's a bootable linux cd that is automated and does it all for you.

My DroidX Thrives on the DarkSlide!!

Cleric2679

Reaction score
I am lost

Do you have to unroot before checking for the update?

(if so, glad I used Z4Root)

Yep. Gotta be stock. But you guys DO know you can have this update now...I've had it since Saturday. Just gotta put it on your phone and install it through stock recovery. Seriously, a monkey could do it. :)

I am a complete moron with this stuff.... my friend played with my phone and I want to get rid of stuff on it and go back to just a regular phone. I want to get rid of superuser - how do I do that?

Reaction score
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/li...-1-stock-apex-cm7-etc-any-rom-liberty-gb.html

Follow these instructions except that after you wipe data/factory reset, you're done. Just activate your phone normally. You can then choose to take the OTA update to GB or stay on FroYo (but it'll keep bugging you.)

If you want to SBF directly to GB, then use this SBF file:
VRZ_MB810_4.5.596_1FF_01.sbf
instead of the one in the thread. I believe the wipe data/factory reset (stock android recovery) method is different with this version though, so the instructions to wipe data/factory reset may be slightly different. After an SBF, your phone boot loops until you wipe data/factory reset, so it is a necessary step.

androidgeek

Reaction score
Mine likes to reboot on/off the car dock. I can't have anything running when I put it on or take it off. Highly annoying!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

thedude13

Reaction score
I have.. happened about 3 times a week.. then I stripped & reformatted.. runs much smoother and no more reboots.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums