Gigantic Marketing Blunder Leads to 'ethics investigation' in Nokia Lumia 920 Ad

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
idbyn4-1.png

This isn't an Android story, but it's definitely one that caught our attention over at our sister-site, WindowsPhoneForum.net, and we thought you guys would be interested by it. Here's the full story below taken from the other site.

At one of the worst possible times for the company, Nokia has just stepped into a big stink with an enormous marketing blunder. Apparently, the video ad we shared with you guys a few days ago for the Nokia Lumia 920 turned out to be a fake. To be clear, the commercial is very misleading, and most folks who watched it thought it was supposedly taken with the new amazing PureView camera built-into the Lumia 920 Windows Phone that is coming soon. There was no disclaimer during the commercial, so it was an easy assumption to make.

As it turns out, some very observant folks noticed that in the middle of the video, you end up getting a background reflection that clearly shows the cameraman in a van, using a professional video camera of some kind that was not the phone. (Picture above shows this.) Since then, Nokia has backtracked, and apologized profusely for the confusion, and in the end they are opening up their own internal "ethics investigation" (whatever that is). Here's a quote with a few more details,

Nokia swiftly apologized laying the blame on “confusion.” It explained that misleading everyone into thinking the video was original was not actually intentional.

And now Nokia is launching an internal investigation to “understand what happened” to lead to such a gigantic blunder.

“What we understand to date is that it was nobody’s intention to mislead, but there was poor judgment in the decision not to use a disclaimer,” Susan Sheehan, a Nokia spokeswoman said, but did not name the company behind the video. Nokia is now “quickly, fairly and privately” taking care of that situation.

I can tell you what happened... they hired the wrong marketing company.

Source: WindowsPhoneForum.net via PhoneArena

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
It's interesting that as the name brand huawei becomes more recognizable and desirable the name brand nokia seems to be going the opposite direction.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Do people really believe these videos? I thought it was common knowledge that they were glorified to show off features rather than actual performance.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Droid Forums

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
I hardly ever believe when a commercial for a phone or camera says it's shot by the device/device's camera. Like the radioshack coms with customers "recording their responses with their phone's camera." Lame. And Nokia's coms with Ashton Kutcher. I don't really believe it.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
And everybody gave me flack for asking if the obligatory disclaimer was in place. Just about all photos are simulated to enhance them. Try taking a picture of a TV screen, doesn't work very well.

52brandon

Reaction score
lol. I thought it was common knowledge that they're typically fake/enhanced. My favorite is the TV ads that they try to show you how awesome their TV's picture is-- on your TV :p

eagle923

Reaction score
I don't get all the crazy talk... they never stated it was the phone. Implied maybe but that is marketing.

Kag Pirate

Reaction score
This is no reflection on the OP cause I like the OP, my 2 cents who cares about the blunder. We all know or most know to make something look good, you have to use better equipment to get the job done. LOL the blunder did more then make me not want to look. I found myself looking at the phone and was pondering. Might be a nice phone and weird it is I do like the shape of the phone. I also want the red phone it does goes with my red truck and red motorcycle... :)

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
was the original video edited because I can't find that part of the pic in the video. Maybe i'm just missing it..

I too have watched the video multiple times to figure out what all the hoopla was about and cannot find the piece highlighted in the OP.

Does anyone have a link to the original video?

LocoRon

Reaction score
I too have watched the video multiple times to figure out what all the hoopla was about and cannot find the piece highlighted in the OP.

Does anyone have a link to the original video?

[video=youtube;3lYMlJP77FQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lYMlJP77FQ&feature=related[/video]

Not exactly the original.... pretty close though. ;)