Gigantic Marketing Blunder Leads to 'ethics investigation' in Nokia Lumia 920 Ad

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Sep 10, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

This isn't an Android story, but it's definitely one that caught our attention over at our sister-site, WindowsPhoneForum.net, and we thought you guys would be interested by it. Here's the full story below taken from the other site.

At one of the worst possible times for the company, Nokia has just stepped into a big stink with an enormous marketing blunder. Apparently, the video ad we shared with you guys a few days ago for the Nokia Lumia 920 turned out to be a fake. To be clear, the commercial is very misleading, and most folks who watched it thought it was supposedly taken with the new amazing PureView camera built-into the Lumia 920 Windows Phone that is coming soon. There was no disclaimer during the commercial, so it was an easy assumption to make.

As it turns out, some very observant folks noticed that in the middle of the video, you end up getting a background reflection that clearly shows the cameraman in a van, using a professional video camera of some kind that was not the phone. (Picture above shows this.) Since then, Nokia has backtracked, and apologized profusely for the confusion, and in the end they are opening up their own internal "ethics investigation" (whatever that is). Here's a quote with a few more details,

I can tell you what happened... they hired the wrong marketing company.

Source: WindowsPhoneForum.net via PhoneArena
  2. dfcfu342

dfcfu342 New Member

They clearly hired the wrong editor
  3. xsylus

xsylus Active Member

It's interesting that as the name brand huawei becomes more recognizable and desirable the name brand nokia seems to be going the opposite direction.
  4. tjk629

tjk629 New Member

Do people really believe these videos? I thought it was common knowledge that they were glorified to show off features rather than actual performance.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Droid Forums
  5. cobravnm13

cobravnm13 Well-Known Member

I hardly ever believe when a commercial for a phone or camera says it's shot by the device/device's camera. Like the radioshack coms with customers "recording their responses with their phone's camera." Lame. And Nokia's coms with Ashton Kutcher. I don't really believe it.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
  6. lloydstrans

lloydstrans Well-Known Member

And everybody gave me flack for asking if the obligatory disclaimer was in place. Just about all photos are simulated to enhance them. Try taking a picture of a TV screen, doesn't work very well.
  7. 52brandon

52brandon New Member

lol. I thought it was common knowledge that they're typically fake/enhanced. My favorite is the TV ads that they try to show you how awesome their TV's picture is-- on your TV :p
  8. eagle923

eagle923 Member

I don't get all the crazy talk... they never stated it was the phone. Implied maybe but that is marketing.
  9. Kag Pirate

Kag Pirate New Member

This is no reflection on the OP cause I like the OP, my 2 cents who cares about the blunder. We all know or most know to make something look good, you have to use better equipment to get the job done. LOL the blunder did more then make me not want to look. I found myself looking at the phone and was pondering. Might be a nice phone and weird it is I do like the shape of the phone. I also want the red phone it does goes with my red truck and red motorcycle... :)
  10. chefmattb258

chefmattb258 New Member

was the original video edited because I can't find that part of the pic in the video. Maybe i'm just missing it..
  11. akhenax

akhenax Well-Known Member

I too have watched the video multiple times to figure out what all the hoopla was about and cannot find the piece highlighted in the OP.

Does anyone have a link to the original video?
  12. anthrpicdecadnce

anthrpicdecadnce New Member

ok cool, it's not just me...
  13. LocoRon

LocoRon New Member

Not exactly the original.... pretty close though. ;)
Search tags for this page
nokia thema bluder

what is ethical blunders in advertising