Getting my Droid tomorrow. My first 5 - 10 apps should be?

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by PapaDeuce, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PapaDeuce

PapaDeuce New Member

Help me pick some.

I know I want a to do list app. And I would LOVE an app for business cards. And a basic CRM would be nice. But what else is a must have?

Thanks a bunch.
  2. frankybabee

frankybabee New Member

I suggest Pandora, Gesture Search, Handcent SMS, CNN mobile, Screeble Lite, Hoccer. and the typical junk....like FB, Mabilo, etc....
  3. PapaDeuce

PapaDeuce New Member

Thanks. I will google the ones I don't know, right now.
  4. cb2000a

cb2000a New Member

Well I would recommend getting Flixter or Fandango for movie info, Tricorder (a free cool app that really works), Ringdroid (to make custom ringtones), Robo defense game, Mototorch (turns the flash into a flashlight), Pro5x (Pro Zoom)...a must have for better pictures on the DROID, Barcode scanner, and Pandora or Slacker radio. Oh and Act 1 video player for sure. And get Bump for exchanging contact info by bumping phones (with any phone that has that software....including Iphone).
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  5. naccout

naccout New Member

6. AnneDroid

AnneDroid Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

7. NeverEndingXsin

NeverEndingXsin New Member

handcent SMS (messaging replacement), shazam (music identifier), astro (file manager), beautiful widgets (a bunch of useful widgets for your home screens), helix launcher (home replacement), Seesmic (twitter), Where (helps you find local places, movie times, etc) , dolphin browser (much better browser than the stock one), Google Skymap, 3 Music player (search Rockon in the market)
  8. jbs1976

jbs1976 New Member

EStrongs File Exploer and Task Manager, Note Everything, Weather Bug, CalWidget, Shop Savvy, DroidLight, Pandora, Dictionary.com, AG Newspapers.
  9. PapaDeuce

PapaDeuce New Member

Thanks, all. And just so you know, I did do a basic search before posting..

I am SO looking forward to getting rid of my BB Storm. Just not sure which droid I will be getting, yet. Have to have the Verizon guy explain the differences.
  10. steelercraze

steelercraze New Member

How about things other then apps r there things i should or want to do
  11. jsh1120

jsh1120 New Member

You may find it useful to check out appbrain.com on your computer. It provides an excellent way to browse apps, select the ones you want to download, and guide the installs one by one. It then can be used (in conjunction with its own appbrain app on your phone) to synchronize the list of apps you have on your phone with your account on appbrain. See Find great Android apps and games - AppBrain
  12. y0manda

y0manda New Member

Update.zip
    Rom Manager premium
    Blackdroid v9
    Setcpu
    Titanium Backup donate
    Wifi Tether
    Root Explorer
    Drocap2
    Terminal Emulator
    Sdk installed on your computer.
  13. rjax

rjax New Member

Handcent SMS

xScope -- much better web browser

Astro -- file manager

Profiles/Quick Profiles/Setting Profiles/Quick Settings -- or some other way to easily control all the different volumes, screen brightness, etc. Also, make sure to add the stock power control widget to your homescreen

Ring Guard -- Prevents your ringer volume from accidentally changing

myLock -- Lets you skip doing the whole slide-to-unlock thing

Swype/HTC Keyboard -- These keyboards aren't in the Market -- search the forums or Droid-Life for the .apk files that you can install using Astro

Apps Organizer -- Create Apps Organizer shortcuts on your home screen (I have the "Starred" and "All Labels" on my mine) and you'll never have to go in the App Drawer again.

Home++/Helix Launcher -- Both let you add more than three home screens, and give you a "dock" that's constant across all home screens
  14. rjax

rjax New Member

People seem to like Astrid for to-do lists. Google Goggles will take a picture of a business card and import the information for you. Or if you want to keep business-card-type info separate from your Google contacts, try searching the Market for Cards PIM.

Not sure about an app for CRM though.
  15. dragonfly1113

dragonfly1113 New Member

Sometimes the verizon guys are more for and against certain phones depends on who you talk to, but since i've used all 3 android devices (my fiance (devour), friend (eris) and me (droid) on verizon ill give u the low down.

Eris is cool and slick but doesnt have a physical keyboard so thats a big minus for me.

Devour is good but i think its aimed more at the social butterfly type and they call it the kid brother/sister of the droid has less disk space. Does have a keyboard so that makes it better than the eris in my opinion and the buttons on the keyboard are separated on the keyboard as opposed to having the keys all in one area like the droid does. its a tad heavier than the droid suprisingly.

Those 2 above i believe are aimed more towards females (not being sexist) just giving my 2 cents, not many men are "social butterflies"

The droid has a physical keyboard, the most free space available on the phone and is considered to be more of a computer than a social butterfly. Granted they all run Android OS but the droid now has 2.1 while the other 2 have android os 1.5, so thats a downfall for some.

Its all up to you though really, your best bet knowing everything i just stated "about" the phone your best bet, is when in store hold each of them and see which one fits you better and go from there.

you know what they say opinions are like well you know haha.

Hope this helped. and welcome to the forum.
  16. jimmiem

jimmiem New Member

For CRM what do you use on your desktop? I use ACT! and sync my Google account with Companionlink. I love that I can sync custom fields which don't exist on my phone and they will show up in notes. I'm a wedding DJ so I sync the wedding date, the package they booked, the total fee and balance due. Unfortunately you can't enter this info on your phone.
  17. Corinacakes

Corinacakes DF Super Moderator Theme Developer

you forgot temp monitor omfg this post cracked me the hell up :rofl3: TFF!!

TO PAPA:

don't listen to y0manda (YET) lol

my fav app is folderorganizer. you can change all the icons for your apps and make custom folders and fill em up :D

after you've put all the crap on yur droid that you want you need to download mybackupPro and run it. happy droiding!
  18. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

If you don't like Handcent, go for SMS popup ...
  19. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

This should be the first 10 apps? lol...Can they get use to the phone first?

Actually if you want to root that may be appropriate, because the 2.1 update is going out quickly and it has not been rooted yet. You can only root on 2.0.1. At least for now. ;)
  20. bodean

bodean New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.