get ics without rooting phone? how?

Bionic_Racer

Reaction score
And what are the potential consequences? Can i download it ftom my bionic or do i need a computer to do it?

And could this cause bricking?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
You install it like any update, by putting the file in the root area of the sd-ext card and booting into recovery. Rooting isn't needed. It's possible you can get off the OTA path if they release another leak, but you can always go back if you need to.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

Last edited:

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
You should be able to get the 6.7.232 (the latest) at http://www.droidforums.net/forum/motorola-droid-bionic/215557-new-ics-leak-6-7-232-a.html If you want 6.7.230, you should be able to get that at http://www.droidforums.net/forum/motorola-droid-bionic/214870-new-bionic-ics-update-6-7-230-a.html I've seen on the 6.7.230 update zip, the file has two items, the update file and a CRC file. All you need to move to your Bionic is the update file.

As you can see, there's more than one ICS leak, which means that you can be off the OTA path, but it's possible to go back to .902 (and do an OTA to .905) if a new leak appears.

In theory, you shouldn't lose any of your data. See http://www.droidforums.net/forum/motorola-droid-bionic/215674-will-ics-update-wipe-app-data.html

Here's the basic method. Step 7 is where you reboot. The first 3 steps are included as if you've never connected your phone to your PC. If you can download the file directly to your phone then just go to step 4 and skip step 5.

1. On the phone go to Menu>Setting>Applications>Development and check "USB Debugging."
2. Plug phone into computer.
3. Press "Mass USB Storage" from the list of choices. Two drives will show up. One is MOT (Internal Storage) and the other is Removable Drive (SD-EXT).
4. Put the downloaded file in the root (ie main area) of SD-EXT (not Internal Storage). No need to change the name or extract it.*
5. Eject both MOT and Removable Drive and disconnect the phone from your computer.
6. Power phone down
7. Reboot into stock recovery (adb reboot recovery) by holding Power and Volume Up/Down at the same time.
8. Select "Recovery" by pressing Volume Down, then press Volume Up to initiate it.
9. When the robot appears, press both Volume keys in at the same time.
10. Select “apply update from sdcard” using the volume keys, then Power to initiate it.
11. Using the Volume keys, choose the file that you downloaded (above), press Power and let it load.
12. When the install is done, press Power. It'll reboot, but it'll be longer than normal (about 6 minutes)

The whole process, from moving the file into the SD-EXT card to phone rebooted is about 10 minutes. Of that, 3 minutes will be the phone extracting the files (Step 11) and 6 minutes for the install itself (Step 12). A long time to stare at your phone, I admit.

*I'm going on conjecture here, but it appears that if you change the name of the zip file to "update.zip" (without the quotes) when you do step 10 it'll find the file without you having to show it which one (skipping step 11 for the most part).

Last edited:

wseyller

Reaction score
How does one "boot into recovery"? And once installed will all my files get deleted?

Where can i get the said file from?

It does not wipe or delete any data. Because it is recommended to backup just incase.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

wseyller

Reaction score
Do u guys think its not worth it and just wait for the ota ics update?

Just depends on the person. Some people are just unable to do certain things. To some the act of using a smartphone or a computer is too overwhelming. With that said, i say it is definitely worth it. These leak are pretty solid for the majority that have done it. To many here in the forums it is worth it as they can go back and forth without consequence and with ease. This phone is capable to handle what you are asking. Question would be is the person?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

unbesorgt

Reaction score

Definitely worth it. By the time Verizon gets done with their testing, it could be months before the official OTA. Once you try ICS you'll never want to go back.

killer_bee

Reaction score
If you are a little tech savvy... Then you should be able to update no problem. I updated to 223.. and since it kept crashing on my lapdock.. I went to 230..and its been silky smooth. Definitely consider it. Its a giant step up from gingerbread.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
unbesorgt said:
By the time Verizon gets done with their testing, it could be months before the official OTA.

According to https://forums.motorola.com/pages/00add97d6c "Early Q3" meaning sometime this month.

As for it being worth it, it's up to you, but there's no harm in installing a leak. It's not hard to do (as long as you do all the steps), plus if you don't like it, you're not stuck as you can go back to .905. Read all the posts as some people prefer 230 over 232 as well as 232 over 230 (or even 2233). Some are saying battery life is better and others are saying it's worse than .905.

Me, while I've done this in the past, I'm in no hurry as I like the phone the way it is.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

Last edited:

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
Bionic_Racer, I don't know what your problem is with Flash, but I'm running a NewGrounds.com flash video from my phone as we speak. I'm using Opera Mobile for my browser. May want to try that before you try the steps below:

To go back to stock, you'll need the .902 file which you can find here. Download it to your PC.

After that, you'll need to download the latest Motorola drivers and install them on your PC.

Then download RSD Lite and install it on your PC.

Once you've done all of that, run RSD Lite, and plug your phone into your computer. From there find the button "..." on RSD Lite and then navigate to the .902 file I linked. After that hit "Start" and it should ask if you want to Uncompress and Flash. Accept that, and then let it do it's thing.

When that finishes you will be stock on the .902 OTA. If you want .905, you'll have to go into your phone settings and download it manually from there.

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
Highly unlikely. Android natively supports Flash, that's one of the perks of having it and not an iPhone (among other reasons).

Unfortunately I'm not any sort of developer or programmer so I wouldn't even know where to tell you to begin in terms of troubleshooting your issue. ICS is really, really nice though...I would highly recommend if you don't get it sorted, to do a flash back to .902 as mentioned, update to .905, and try reinstalling your ICS leak. If getting Flash to work is your only problem and you get it resolved, you will love your phone. I can almost promise you that.

bobbyp

Reaction score
The Dolphin HD browser almost makes you think that flash videos will play. Come developers let's start programming sites in HTML 5 so I can get back to normal.

Superpoof

Reaction score
Awkward you are having problems with the browser, I have video on the stock browser and Google Chrome with no issues. Try going back and reflashing the update from a different source.

bobbyp

Reaction score
Superpoof said:
Awkward you are having problems with the browser, I have video on the stock browser and Google Chrome with no issues. Try going back and reflashing the update from a different source.

Are you sure what you are looking at is Flash video? I can watch videos through Chrome its Flash that's not working. Mobile Flash is about to be a thing of the past anyway.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Yes whether its the full youtube site or full dailymotion itll act like its going to start playing then just freeze. At that point i have to turn the phone on and off to use the browser again.

The youtube APP works fine but any flash video doesnt. Where should i download 232 from because maybe my source just sucked.
Did you check the md5sum when you downloaded it?