General Droid Confusion

DroidDamask

Reaction score
Hi, my husband and I are planning on getting our first Droids this weekend (Droid Incredibles). I currently use a Palm Centro and I think I'm ready to take the leap into the droid-osphere.

However, I do have a question. If I am traveling to some remote area and have no access to the network (because this just happened to me), will I still be able to access an offline calendar and contact list?

What application will I need to get to do this? Will it sync automatically with google calendar?

Battousai

Reaction score
haven't tried using the google callender, but it automatically sincs the contacts when you connect the droid to your Gmail account.

gprichardson1

Reaction score
I just put my phone into airplane mode, which my understanding is that it turns off all external network access (i.e. data, 1x, 3G, phone, you name it). After doing that I was still able to look at my calendar and contacts just fine.

So I guess I'd answer your question with a "yes", you can view your calendar and contacts when your phone is "offline".

I haven't tried this, but I suspect if you add/modify/delete any calendar or contact info while the phone is off the network that it'll sync up with your google account once the phone is back on the network.

OP
D

DroidDamask

Reaction score
Okay great. So does this mean then that there is a calendar that automatically comes with the droid pre installed?

jefbystereo

Reaction score
I just put my phone is plane mode (no connection) and was able to scroll Pure Grid Calendar (synced with my google calendar) all the way up to December and view individual event details, so it at least caches that far.

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just put my phone into airplane mode, which my understanding is that it turns off all external network access (i.e. data, 1x, 3G, phone, you name it). After doing that I was still able to look at my calendar and contacts just fine.

So I guess I'd answer your question with a "yes", you can view your calendar and contacts when your phone is "offline".

I haven't tried this, but I suspect if you add/modify/delete any calendar or contact info while the phone is off the network that it'll sync up with your google account once the phone is back on the network.
Yes, at least that is the way it is with the mDroid.

Okay great. So does this mean then that there is a calendar that automatically comes with the droid pre installed?
Again, if like the mDroid, there is a stock calendar app and a coperate calendar app.

gprichardson1

Reaction score
Yes, the Droid comes with a calendar. It will sync up with your gmail account if you configure it to do so.

Same with contacts. You can have all local contacts if you choose to do so, but it makes more sense to sync them with your gmail account.

Hiroller173

Reaction score
A basic calendar app that will sync with a gmail calendar comes with the Droid.

R

Romple

The Droid syncs with Google's online services. But once it pulls the info down it's on your phone, so even if you have no connection you still have your calender there.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just to be clear, I think the OP is talking about an Incredible which is somewhat different from the Droid. But if it's the Incredible your're looking at same rules still apply. It's a Google phone, so it will sync with Google Calendar. If you have iCal or Outlook you will have to sync that with Google Calendar. If you are out of the area your calendar would work just fine and if you did any changes once you got within data range again it will sync. If you have any specific questions about the Incredible I'll move you to the Incredible thread.

OP
D

DroidDamask

Reaction score
Whoops! Yes, I was specifically referring to the Droid Incredible. However, this did answer my question, and I was actually looking at them in the store last night so my question is answered now. Thanks!