Gartner Says Sales of Smartphones Grew 20 Percent in Third Quarter of 2014.. LG Drops Out of Top 5

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
smartphones.jpg

Gartner has released some interesting data today. While Smartphone sales have leaped 20% in the Q3, LG drops out of the top five and replaced by Huawei.

Keep your eye on Huawei and Xiaomi. They are building phones that are just as fast (and often more stylish), all the while being significantly cheaper than what Samsung's putting out.

upload_2014-12-16_8-23-31.png

upload_2014-12-16_8-24-26.png

upload_2014-12-16_8-25-32.png

Read more here

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
Those are some surprising results. Of course all I'll ever here is how Apple makes things "better" and doesn't need market share.... Ok. I do like how Huawei and Xiaomi are taking a lot of the share after iOS

Fliptroniks

Reaction score
Twitter
twitter.com/fliptroniks
It would be more interesting to see the results by country. I would have thought lg would have definitely been in the top 5 us for sure. Huawei is like the vizio of the cell phone industry. Samsung still has a nice lock on the market and I dont see that changing anytime soon.

Reactions: cr6

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
It would be more interesting to see the results by country.

Yeah, I think Apple would be doing considerably better in the US and other high-end markets.

Still, I never though Android would grab 80%+. Kind of surprised Windows really hasn't been able to make a bigger dent, but again maybe they have in the high-end markets. I've kind of been pulling for Windows because I think a third major OS would be good for competition.

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Yeah, I think Apple would be doing considerably better in the US and other high-end markets.

Still, I never though Android would grab 80%+. Kind of surprised Windows really hasn't been able to make a bigger dent, but again maybe they have in the high-end markets. I've kind of been pulling for Windows because I think a third major OS would be good for competition.
I read that none of the Win OS manufactures have made any money. Some are moving over to Android.

Smartphone Makers Can t Make Money With Windows Phone

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I read that none of the Win OS manufactures have made any money. Some are moving over to Android.

Smartphone Makers Can t Make Money With Windows Phone

Obviously they don't have the volumes to make money. But I wonder if they don't also have to pay a license fee to MS, which would only raise the break-even volume.

Gotta look at it as in investment and hope being one of the key manufacturers positions you well when growth takes off. But it's been several years now...can't blame them for bailing.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
250 million Android smartphones. That's insane.