GAPPs file? what i is a gapps file and how do you install it?

eap369

Reaction score
what i is a gapps file and how do you install it?
i saw on a thread someone updated a rom and used a differernt persons gapps file then the original rom. but whats gapps?

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Typically you flash it with a ROM so you have working Google apps such as the market and several other things but not all ROMs require them.

To install one you boot into recovery flash the ROM, then flash the GAPPS file before leaving recovery, and then you just boot up the phone normally.

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
FYI- I downloaded a 02242012 GAPPS version today off goo-inside.me

Sent from my AXI0M AOKP using DroidForums

OP
eap369

eap369

Reaction score
thanks for the replies so im guessing u would usually only install them on an alpha rom that might need it right?

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Does not matter the stage of the ROM, could be alpha, beta, or final. It is all about whether the dev of the ROM includes them in the actual ROM file or decides to do them in the separate GAPPS flash.

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
should be able to flash any new gapp zip files on ROM after cache and Davlik cache I would think?

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
I never really flash any GAPPS besides what the dev recommends or pairs with the ROM but I guess it couldn't hurt. I would make sure none of the apps in the GAPPS that were already present did not have any updates installed, that would probably mess up the flash.

OP
eap369

eap369

Reaction score
I never really flash any GAPPS besides what the dev recommends or pairs with the ROM but I guess it couldn't hurt. I would make sure none of the apps in the GAPPS that were already present did not have any updates installed, that would probably mess up the flash.

ok thanks for clearing that up for me. but im installing a new rom for my bionic after i flash the rom and play around with it can i still go back into recovery and flash a gapps file after? or does it have to be at the same time?

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
You can but if you don't flash GAPPS you wont have the market, you won't be able to log into your account, and in some cases things like the home button won't work because it is tied to a certain app (I don't know which one).

OP
eap369

eap369

Reaction score
You can but if you don't flash GAPPS you wont have the market, you won't be able to log into your account, and in some cases things like the home button won't work because it is tied to a certain app (I don't know which one).

OK good to know thanks again appreciate it