Gallery won't open.

hybridfury

Reaction score
Just got a droid 2 global a couple weeks ago and installed the latest update a few days ago. I don't recall the last time I used the gallery, but it did work at one point. Now whenever I go to my gallery it simply opens for a split second and then closes. It does the same thing with the picture frame plus app. I removed the picture frame plus app from my home screen and now it won't even let me re-add it. Anyone got any suggestions?

mrtubz69

Reaction score
Um hard reset? Or maybe call tech support get help or new one... maybe a task killer is culprite

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

mharmon

Reaction score
I have a DX with 2.2.1. No task killers, etc. Any suggestions?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

JRip

Reaction score
Same problem...

Same issue for me. I've had my Droid 2 several months. Now when I try to open gallery it opens for split second then goes to home screen. Even when trying to change my dock instead of my docks screens opening it takes me to the homescreen. Let me know if you find out a fix.

Thanks!

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Try turning thee phone off, pulling the battery and reseating the sd card.

tappin and a talkin

JRip

Reaction score
Format SD card

Ok I got mine fixed by formatting my SD card. I plugged my phone into my computer, saved everything that was on my SD card to a folder on my computer, formattd the SD card, then added everything back onto the SD card and it's working fine now. Don't know the cause of it but this fixed it for me.

mharmon

Reaction score
I was able to resolve my issue w/o reformatting my SD Card. I went into Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications -> go to the All Tab. On each of the following services I Cleared Data and Cache: Gallery, Media Storage, Media Container Service. Restarted my phone, went to Gallery and had to wait a few minutes for the gallery to rebuild. Once it rebuilt, I was all set. Hope this helps.

Sailmaker

Reaction score
I was able to resolve my issue w/o reformatting my SD Card. I went into Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications -> go to the All Tab. On each of the following services I Cleared Data and Cache: Gallery, Media Storage, Media Container Service. Restarted my phone, went to Gallery and had to wait a few minutes for the gallery to rebuild. Once it rebuilt, I was all set. Hope this helps.
I did the same action as mharmon. It took a few minutes for Gallery to repopulate...but eventually it came back with everything okay...was worried I was gonna delete everything on SD but all files are still there.dancedroid

Phillipsave

Reaction score
When clearing data from the apps to get Gallery back working, do you lose significant data, & if so, what?

solar

Reaction score
When clearing data from the apps to get Gallery back working, do you lose significant data, & if so, what?

No, you won't lose any data. It just clears the thumbnail cache and some other system stuff. It won't affect your actual pics or vids.

solar

Reaction score
Ok I got mine fixed by formatting my SD card. I plugged my phone into my computer, saved everything that was on my SD card to a folder on my computer, formattd the SD card, then added everything back onto the SD card and it's working fine now. Don't know the cause of it but this fixed it for me.

I tried clearin the cache and data, but it didn't work for me. I ended up doing JRip's method. The only thing I did differently was to take a pic with the formatted blank card to see if the gallery would open with a single pic with a newly created dcim folder. Other then that, the above method worked just fine for me. what a pain in the @$$, lol.:icon_evil:

Sailmaker

Reaction score
Gallery Won't Open - Fix

I tried clearin the cache and data, but it didn't work for me. I ended up doing JRip's method. The only thing I did differently was to take a pic with the formatted blank card to see if the gallery would open with a single pic with a newly created dcim folder. Other then that, the above method worked just fine for me. what a pain in the @$$, lol.:icon_evil:

Here is what worked for me...no reformat required:

Go to:
Settings >> Applications >> Manage Applications >> All tab
For each of the following, I clicked on Clear data and Clear cache: (Just clearing Gallery did not do it for me)
Gallery
Media Container Service
Media Storage
Then I restarted phone by holding down power button, clicking Power Off, then held it again to turn on and working great! It did take a few minutes for the Gallery to get all the thumbnails again the first time I started it, but it works!
I was afraid I deleted all files on SD but they are all still there. Just be patient, will take several minutes for Gallery to repopulate. dancedroid

solar

Reaction score
Good call SailMaker. I had the issue reoccur and tried your method this time. Its worked well! So thanks! As an aside, It changed my ringtones for the standard ring and handcent alert to something different then what I had, but not the default sound, which was weird, but easy to correct.