Gallery Closing

Natey2

Reaction score
I wish there was an option to turn off the cache for those sub-standard galleries. Things will be slower, but at least they'll still work if the images go out of synch with the cache, or if it was a cache problem.

Since I almost lost a couple of hundred pics once on my DroidX (I had to use a PC-based file-recovery program to recover the images from the SD card), I've learned never to leave any picture I value on my DroidX for more than a couple of days.

Lex_Luthor

Reaction score
I had this problem and i think it must have been a rogue app that messes with this because i noticed this after downloading one or two wallpapers downloading apps. But even after i uninstalled those the gallery still didnt work. I had the reflash my ROM to get it work but its probably what they stated before. Just do a factory wipe and you should be fine.

jray2855

Reaction score
I had this problem and i think it must have been a rogue app that messes with this because i noticed this after downloading one or two wallpapers downloading apps. But even after i uninstalled those the gallery still didnt work. I had the reflash my ROM to get it work but its probably what they stated before. Just do a factory wipe and you should be fine.

Factory wipe? Won't that delete my pictures?? And... how do you do it?

Lex_Luthor

Reaction score

Factory wipe? Won't that delete my pictures?? And... how do you do it?
no the factory/data reset wont delete your pictures. It will only delete/format the data and caches in the phones internal memory, it wont touch anything in your SD card(thats where your pics should be at). Its going to delete you apps but google makes backups of those, but leave it alone while its redownloading them or else you will have to manually download them. Also when you reboot you phone you will have to set everything back up the way it was, its a bumer but you know your phone isnt going to be goofy. The way to do this is to go to settings and it should be under privacy. If you dont want to do that then you can go to settings/applications/manage apps/ find the gallery app and clear data and cache and then reboot. Im not sure if this method works but you can try, it wont mess anything up since its already messed up. But try uninstalling any apps that you downloaded before the gallery went kaput and then clearing the data and cache and rebooting. If you need any clarifications, ask

GeXX

Reaction score
This was happening to me, my fix was to clear one of the gb's, not the gallery, but I remember databases.. It reset my ringtones and gallery, maybe media storage?

Once I did that I reboot the phone and it rebuilt the gallery db & I had to reset my ringtones.

Ieisha

Reaction score
I had this problem after downloading icon packs and had like 1000 icon pics show up in my gallery. The next day evetytime i tried to open the gallery it would open for a second and then just close.

Anyway, i found a fix after doing some research on this and other forums. It worked for me like a charm.

You need to go into Settings/Applications/Manage Apps. From here click on the show all tab and clear the cache for all of the following:

Gallery
Media Storage
Media Container Service

It is not enough to clear just the Gallery cache. You have to clear all of them and then reboot your phone.

Now when i did this i noticed 2 important things. First, i lost my deisignated contact ringtones so i had to go back into my contacts that i had special ringtones for and reset them. Second, the gallery took around 7 minutes to reload because it had to build the thumbnails again. You might also notice that you have to reset some settings in your texting app, but all of this is much better than having to reformat your SD card...at least in my opinion.

Hope this helps. As i said it was posted elsewhere and it worked perfectly for me.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

When clearing the cache , it does not delete your pictures does it ? or do I have to take the pictures off first?

mwshows

Reaction score
No, Clearing the caches on your phone will not have an effect on your stored pics on the SD card. I always make backups of my pics that are important onto my computer anyway, just because I'm anal and you never know when an SD card might simply fail, as has been noted it previous replies.

I've noticed that my phone has been kind of extra glitchy lately. Not sure why, I'll probably have to do some app checking to see if something specific is causing it. Anytime I notice that it starts acting wonky, I make sure to update my SD card backup on my computer. Better safe than sorry is what I say.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk