Galaxy S4 wont ring via bluetooth media speakers

mobious_1

Reaction score
(I have not posted this in the accessory section because I believe it is a problem with the phone’s settings and not the accessory. Philips costumer support agrees with this. If I was in error, mods can move it. Sorry)

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 (Verizon) and a Philips AS111/37 Dock and Bluetooth speaker.

Basically, due to water damage the back speaker on my S4 is kaput. A repair ship tried replacing it, and replacing the connector to the mother board, but it’s gone.

So, I bought this dock so I could have sound in my room, including the phone’s alarm clock and ringtone (this way if someone calls me in the night, I’ll be awoken by it)

However, some setting in my android causes it to only send the media channel through to the speaker. Basically, any music or media will play through the AS111, but any ringtone or alarm tone (like for phone calls) will try to play through the broken S4 speaker.

Before I return the AS111, can anyone tell me if there is a way to send the Ringtone channel through the AS111?

I tried using SoundAbout. In SoundAbout, I went to Notification Behavior and unchecked send “Notifications to Speaker” and “Ringtones to Speaker.” This tells SoundAbout to use the media settings, and the media is set to the A2DP Bluetooth output (the AS111 speakers).

I’m still not getting ringtones through the AS111. I am getting txt notifications through the AS111 (IDK if its because of SoundAbout or not), but I am not getting ringtones when I am called.

Any advice?

wcjeep

Reaction score
Pull down drop down menu. Long press BT, be sure both boxes are checked.

OP
M

mobious_1

Reaction score
Pull down drop down menu. Long press BT, be sure both boxes are checked.

Long pressing that gives an option to make my device invisible and to disconnect from the speaker.

I already paired successfully and connected. My problem is it only plays media (i.e. youtube, music, etc.) I want to tell Android to make all audio go through that speaker.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Some BT speakers don't support both Media audio and Phone audio. Typically if the BT speaker doesn't have a microphone and allow hands-free phone calls, then it doesn't support the phone rings either.

If there is only one selection in the BT setting for the device, then the speaker doesn't support phone audio.

The ringtones you hear through the phone's speaker aren't sent across the Media audio profile, they're sent across the Phone audio profile. See the shots below to understand.

The Jawbone headset I have connected has both A2DP (Stereo Media) and Phone audio The first screen shows it is connected with both. The second screen is what you see when you click the "gear" on the right. You'll see that there are 2 check boxes. If I un-check the "Call audio" box, then the phone rings from the phone's speaker but I can still listen to MP3s and movies.

The same happens in reverse, where I can have phone calls and the rings happen in my ear, but I can watch a movie or listen to a song from the phone's speaker.

a3use9uj.jpg

zusaqy4y.jpg

Last edited:
OP
M

mobious_1

Reaction score
Some BT speakers don't support both Media audio and Phone audio. Typically if the BT speaker doesn't have a microphone and allow hands-free phone calls, then it doesn't support the phone rings either.

If there is only one selection in the BT setting for the device, then the speaker doesn't support phone audio.

The ringtones you hear through the phone's speaker aren't sent across the Media audio profile, they're sent across the Phone audio profile. See the shots below to understand.

The Jawbone headset I have connected has both A2DP (Stereo Media) and Phone audio The first screen shows it is connected with both. The second screen is what you see when you click the "gear" on the right. You'll see that there are 2 check boxes. If I un-check the "Call audio" box, then the phone rings from the phone's speaker but I can still listen to MP3s and movies.

The same happens in reverse, where I can have phone calls and the rings happen in my ear, but I can watch a movie or listen to a song from the phone's speaker.
EDIT: It definitely doesn't support phone volume, but there must be a workaround.

a3use9uj.jpg

zusaqy4y.jpg

Is there no app to force this to work? I used to be able to force media through BTMono or some such app onto incompadible headsets.

Last edited:

wcjeep

Reaction score
Foxkat is correct. I started to respond, wife came home. Sorry for the confusion. The device needs to support media.

OP
M

mobious_1

Reaction score
Dam. And you know of no app that can force this? Because notifications (text messages) and my alarm clock work. Just not the ringing.

lousiasotos

Reaction score
Same here. I have the Verizon galaxy nexus and voice will work via bluetooth in my car stereo but media will make no sound. The phone will act like the media is still playing, but no sound will play. Sometimes restarting the phone will resolve the issue but then it can randomly come back.

knight_yyz

Reaction score
I'm having the problem of those 2 profile boxes not staying checked. it seems like every time I get into the car I have to go to this screen and check those two boxes. Is this normal?