Galaxy S4 and WIFI help.....

loco

Reaction score
This is not the standard WIFI question that has been floated around, and is kind of off topic, but at the same time.....not off topic.

I am the proud owner of a fantastic Verizon Galaxy S4. Love the phone, switched from an iPhone several months ago.

Here is the tricky part. My employer provides us with an open Wi-Fi. I have my own office. The Wi-Fi signal seems to stop at my office door. Everyone outside of my office with their iPhones gets the signal just fine. Inside my office with my Galaxy, I do not get enough signal to accomplish regular tasks. I also don't receive a strong enough data signal inside of my building.

So, here is my question. I really need to figure out a way to either increase the signal strength of the wifi or figure out a way to make this galaxy s4 receive the signal better. Do those wifi extenders work in this type of situation, or one of those magic things you put behind the battery of the phone increase its reception ??

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
A portable WiFi router would work. It will pick up the original signal and rebroadcast it as if you were next to the original source.

OP
L

loco

Reaction score
thanks for the reply. can you suggest one ? have you done this type of thing in the past ?

bbtkd

Reaction score
This is not the standard WIFI question that has been floated around, and is kind of off topic, but at the same time.....not off topic.

I am the proud owner of a fantastic Verizon Galaxy S4. Love the phone, switched from an iPhone several months ago.

Here is the tricky part. My employer provides us with an open Wi-Fi. I have my own office. The Wi-Fi signal seems to stop at my office door. Everyone outside of my office with their iPhones gets the signal just fine. Inside my office with my Galaxy, I do not get enough signal to accomplish regular tasks. I also don't receive a strong enough data signal inside of my building.

So, here is my question. I really need to figure out a way to either increase the signal strength of the wifi or figure out a way to make this galaxy s4 receive the signal better. Do those wifi extenders work in this type of situation, or one of those magic things you put behind the battery of the phone increase its reception ??

I would not advise trying to solve this on your own, by installing network equipment. IT departments typically do not allow that, and some places may even fire you depending on your position and value to the company. Work with IT, or whomever administers your network. It may only require slightly repositioning a Wifi router or antenna. Or they may install an additional router.

OP
L

loco

Reaction score
Great advice. Thank you to all.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk