Galaxy Nexus - Wifi Tethering without the need for root

cleevis

Reaction score
Just adding comment to find this thread later. Having a little trouble understanding the process on elixer. Have read through the info provided in the app. Just can be an idiot.

OP
akhenax

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score

coolshock1

Reaction score
I had been having issue using Elixer and someone else mentioned FoxFi. I have been using it the past few days and it has been working great. I'm not a heavy user just checking email and surfing the web lightly.

Wizdomslizard

Reaction score
Yes they do care.

Verizon doesn't care about where the request for data originates. It cares about the total amount of data. If you have unlimited data on a cell phone only you would potentially use much less data than if you used the cell phone and also your home computer. You are paying $30.00 a month for unlimited data ON YOUR PHONE. In order to provide a useable network for all it's customers, Verizon has to invest in infrastructure BASED ON THE NUMBER OF PHONES and their estimated use of data ON EACH CELL PHONE. Getting data to a phone isn't just magic! It takes a huge amount of machinery to get that to you. If everyone started using twices as much data as normal all at once, the Network would become unusable for all. Just ask AT&T about what happened to their network when they launched the iPhone.

With the 4g LTE opening up it takes a lot of load off of 3g enough that my download speeds went up from a consistent 700kib to 1700kib jumping over 2mb, which it never did before. They state that only 5% of there customer base is on 4g right now, wimax and LTE were built to handle way more users at a longer range, the LTE towers though being new expenditure and overhead for verizon are easier to maintain and less costly to setup than the predecessors have been per a topology and information on wireless interoperabilty from a document published by the ieee back in 2007/2008, the date given at that time for nationwide 4g was by the end of 2012, we have been behind others in the world in our wireless technologies as we had already established a number of wireless protocols whereas other parts of the world went strait to wimax technologies, we had to support backwards compatibility, this allows us to transition seemlessly from one radio to another and allows the provider to load balance, this initiative was a huge player in supporting the need for IPV6. Those who can be pushed over to 4g will be and in the future we may see pure ip phone routing when on a supporting network, It is important to keep in mind that bandwidth is also reserved on these networks for media such as phone calls and teliviion, but as it grows so fast established pay for services are suddenly provided for free somewhere that it is not cost effective for companies like verizon to establish new services like that. There is something called the General IP Restriction, this stops people from using VPN but you can call to get it removed, though they don't like to do it, the reason you can request the removal is because if you were on the network a year or more ago this did not exist and they never informed anyone of the change. It is completely OK to tether your phone, don't feel ashamed about the most of people who are technically inclined are bound to do it and this is a fact of life. My usage is huge upwards of XXXX per month when I don't have regular internet access, I am still awaiting verizon to cancel my unlimited plan, they have made a lot of changes and tried to take away my annual upgrade as well, however based on my contract they are required to provide me with an upgrade and will be doing so.

My belief is if we are in our home provider area we should have priority data access, and the increased bandwidth in 4g areas has a long way to go before the capacity is anywhere near max, The reason for the extra charge is to utilize the resources to the most, as more users begin using 4g the ratios will change. You are in essence paying for a revolution, some of us were lucky to get connected with the GEN3 plans as they were trying to utilize and sell the most out of what was there before the new rollouts, thus why we got pretty good deals; verizon no longer in that predicament has gone the route of the the butt head. I myself knew this last year and was moved to put out the money before the initial 4g rollout, I always did the prepay thing but, knowing what I did from my research in '08 which by the way at that time information was more free and less restricted, I knew I wanted to be ahead of the change. I will not pay 130 a month. In the case this happens the stock radio's and phone will get rom'd to use networks provided by local townships and such as the 802.16 is open for private use without a licence under a certain amperage, thus I can legally run a small version of an LTE tower in my home, and this also covers the simple DECT phones. After phones have been purchased and rogue spots become common connected to $50 a month charter or comcast lines, it may be likely that someone like myself opts in for the prepay, minute to minute and data on a provider that supports 4g, when the evolution is complete I would be fine with paying per meg as open yet secure spots will be free, With a licence townships can provide telephony services over wimax too, My self believe in supporting the local, not the congloberstors just taking advantage, thus when people come through they connect like they would wifi at burgerking only they are covered for 40-60 miles on a weeker tower, that by the way don't have to be huge like the oldschool stuff because the lower frequency is less reflective and can permeate hills, building and now you will get service in basements, valleys and such.

The evolution is here, it will be one network - att, verizon whatever - shared resources.

The new world and the economy it drudges up will be interesting, will it go the way of corporate control, or will we finally make a difference as smaller groups and have something to barter with eachother, making life more fun. Or will we all barter with the giant services that move there weight around as they will without customer input and vestment. Sure they employ a lot, but who would you rather have as an employer. I enjoy the stories of wimax in Africa, the american evolution is neat but, moreso because the regulations actually once allow for a possible uprise of something new, I love innovation especially when it is innovation for the people... Like I said is everything is changing so fast places like verizon can't keep up, policies will change a lot in the next few... I am going to be very sad when I see the 802.16 become a proprietary band. I certainly hope it does not.

Sorry for the exhausting review... I had to leave my outpouring somewhere

Capone76

Reaction score
Verizon gave me unlimited hotspot for $30 a month since I already have a 4g phone with unlimited data. I think thats well worth it . sorry if this has been discussed in an older post.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using DroidForums

Bigsurprise

Reaction score
I downloaded this today and it works wonderfully. Thank you so much for showing me Elixir 2!! My only question is do I transmit 3g only or is it 4g also? My house itself doesn't get 4g so I haven't been able to test it under 4g conditions yet.

OP
akhenax

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Verizon gave me unlimited hotspot for $30 a month since I already have a 4g phone with unlimited data. I think thats well worth it . sorry if this has been discussed in an older post.

The point of this thread is to save users $30/month.

Bigsurprise

Reaction score
If you want to set your phone to do 3G only go into settings, More, Mobile Networks, Network Mode, and select CDMA only.

more info: How to Turn off 4G LTE on the Galaxy Nexus to Improve Battery Life

Thanks for the reply, but that wasn't my question. I understand how to switch between 3g and 4g. I am wondering, when I use Wifi tethering is the signal that I transmit 3g only, or 4g as well? Is it just determined by what I have the phone currently set to under the settings that you pointed out?

amajamar

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, but that wasn't my question. I understand how to switch between 3g and 4g. I am wondering, when I use Wifi tethering is the signal that I transmit 3g only, or 4g as well? Is it just determined by what I have the phone currently set to under the settings that you pointed out?

Making your phone a hotspot only shares whatever connection your phone has. If you dont have 4G then you cant share any faster than 3 G.

cpl100

Reaction score
I have found that there are several ways to Wirelessly tether your Galaxy Nexus without root.
Below are a few methods that I have used. I'm sure Google Play may have others, as this list continues to grow.

------------------------------
1st Method
Elixer 2

Pros: Free
Cons: Confusing to setup at first

1. Install Elixer2
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.bartat.android.elixir&hl=en

2. Install Elixer2 Widgets
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.bartat.android.elixir.widget&hl=en

The way I think this works is, you need to install Elixer2 to give you tons of tools and information about your device, so that the widgets work correctly.
Elixer2 Widgets gives you widget tools to create widgets for your device.

You can create a "Wi-Fi AP (Hotspot) toggle" widget that turns on Portable Wifi Hotspot. Doing this bypasses the wireless carrier check, and allows you to modify your AP settings to create a Hotspot.

2nd Method

FoxFi

Pros: Free, easy to setup
Cons: None found yet

1. Install Foxfi
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.foxfi

I have used Foxfi sparingly to test it's abilities. It works just fine. I would use this instead Elixer Widgets, for hotspot related functionality. Elixer2 does do a lot of other cool things though.

3rd Method
Wifi Hotspot and USB Tether

Pros: It works well; if your carrier changes something, the app will be updated to compensate. USB tether included; widget included
Cons: expensive

You can wireless tether your Galaxy Nexus without root using "Wifi Hotspot and USB Tether"
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.svtechpartners.wifihotspot&hl=en

If you would like to try the application first, a trial is available:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.svtechpartners.wifihotspotdemo

This is my goto wireless tether app, as it seems to work the most consistently.

4th Method
Tethering Widget

Pros: Free
Cons: ??

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.achmyr.android.froyo#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDUwMSwiY29tLmFjaG15ci5hbmRyb2lkLmZyb3lvIl0

This is simply a widget that you add to your Android homescreen, that you activate when you want to tether, and deactivate when you dont. Sounds simple enough.

I have not tried this method, but it was mentioned in another thread, so I thought I would include it here.

I suggest trying the free versions first, including the trial version of (SVTP Wireless Tether) and see which works best for you.

------------------------------------------------------------
I have verified that all above methods work. I could tether my HP Touchpad to my unrooted Galaxy Nexus (with a little troubleshooting) over 3G and 4G.

------------------------------------------------------------

USB Tether options:

Easy Tether (for computer to phone tethering)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...vbS5tc3RyZWFtLmVhc3l0ZXRoZXJfcG9seWNsZWYiXQ..

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The below text is for information purposes only, as it was the original text from this thread and much of the discussion following this post circled around it. Using the below information, as is, IS NOT FREE and assumes you have a $30.00 tethering plan from Verizon.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: You must be subscribed to Verizon's WiFi hotspot plan in order for this to work. If your phone is rooted, you may be able to use this feature without giving Verizon more money, or use alternatives.

source: Samsung Galaxy Nexus – How to use it as a Wi-Fi hotspot

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Will the Elixer 2 version work with my Verizon HTC Rezound and Nexus 7. Thanks for any assist. I am not techonologically gifted but can follow directions well.

OP
akhenax

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Will the Elixer 2 version work with my Verizon HTC Rezound and Nexus 7. Thanks for any assist. I am not techonologically gifted but can follow directions well.

I think it will. Try Foxfi first though. It's easier to setup for this one specific function.

FoxFi

Pros: Free, easy to setup
Cons: None found yet

1. Install Foxfi
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.foxfi

I have used Foxfi sparingly to test it's abilities. It works just fine. I would use this instead Elixer Widgets, for hotspot related functionality. Elixer2 does do a lot of other cool things though.