Galaxy Nexus Vs Rezound Vs Razr

What do you think is the best new Android phone?

• Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • HTC Rezound

• Motorolla Razr

• Total voters

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
The camera is one thing I do not care about, my 60D is with me 90% of the time, I am a street photographer, but think tomorrow just going to go to store hold, play, cuddle, buy dinner. Tell I find the perfect one :) you tube and forums can only get me so far..

See if any of the employees have personal phones that you can check out. I've always found those crappy display models never run right because who knows what's been done to them?!

OP
C

caspruction

Reaction score
I have both the galaxy nexus and the Razr in my possession right now and I have made several direct comparisons. I would have to say get the Razr. Other than the fact that the Nexus will get updates first, the strong development backing and the 720p screen the Razr is better in every way.

In my side by side comparisons browsing is faster, the camera is miles better, both the outside and the ear piece sound quality is better, the screen while lower resolution is more vivid, signal reception is better, build quality is better and the battery is better by a country mile.

I'm sure the Nexus will be a lot better with a few updates but as of this moment when comparing stock for stock the Razr is just a better device.

With that said both are great devices and I did not post this to start a argument. This is just my experience and my personal opinion.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Have you had any issues with the battery? At work, I rarely have access to a charger and find myself at times changing batteries towards the end of the day with my HTC incredible. Can the battery last all or most of the day with heavy use, 4g included? Have you had any system freezes when you had to reset the phone. I understand that the razr does this with a combination of buttons; I usually pop out the battery.

busab

Reaction score
Have you had any issues with the battery? At work, I rarely have access to a charger and find myself at times changing batteries towards the end of the day with my HTC incredible. Can the battery last all or most of the day with heavy use, 4g included? Have you had any system freezes when you had to reset the phone. I understand that the razr does this with a combination of buttons; I usually pop out the battery.

I keep mine set to 3g unless I need the extra speed. But yes it lasts most of the day with what I would call heavy use. Your mileage may vary.

Never had a system freeze. The phone has been rock solid.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

asmallchild

Reaction score
I liked Anandtech's review of the Droid Razr and Phonedog's dogfight between the Galaxy Nexus and the Rezound

The Droid Razr is an outstanding piece of hardware but offers nothing new (aside from better design) over the Bionic. The fact that ICS is likely 5-6 months away is disheartening especially on a device with a locked bootloader.

The Rezound with Sense 3.5 just will not cut it for me. Although it certainly can be rooted and de-bloated.

In the end, I opted for Google's flagship device. Battery life has been disappointing but I'm assuming this is an issue with all 4G devices. I have NOT had any issues with signal issues. I agree with others that signal issues would be unacceptable in a $300 device and I would not be touting its merits if I were suffering from this issue which seems to have plagued other users.

OP
C

caspruction

Reaction score
There are also widespread multitouch issues with the nexus when playing games. I wonder if this may affect something else I can't think of at this time. I have to say, the ics is enticing... But is it worth the headaches?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The RAZR will have ICS before you know it, and the Rezound maybe sooner being unlocked. Aside from people who obsess over fonts and icon colors, I'm finding fewer and fewer reasons to recommend the GNex.

Some people act like not being unlocked/flashing is going to leave your device behind, but ICS is pretty polished so I think that's overrated. Even if you never got another update beyond ICS, it wouldn't remotely be like being stuck on 2.0 or 2.1. Froyo was a big leap and ICS is a big leap, but I can't see another such big leap for Android outside of some features that are already done well with various apps in the market (i.e. Locale, Tasker, a number of widgets).

I think the next big leap for Android will be laptop replacement capability (something far beyond that Webtop gimmick). And NONE of this current crop of phones have near the power to do that, so you won't be missing anything.

R

rushmore

My upgrade date is tomorrow, which I had planned to do my upgrade then...but oh know can't decide fully on one between the gnex and razr
both have pros and cons
Gnex for roms and development which I want to learn more of, but still worried about signal issue
razr because I have had droid, droid 2, and droid x2 *mind you all from CLNR* I love the build quality, I like the direction of blur. but the locked bootloader

Think in end be the Gnex but that Razr is mighty fine looking device

Rezound has better resolution, better one hand fit, battery options and rom opportunities (if you are a rom junkie), the razr IMO though, is the better device:

1. Better build
2. Better call quality
3. A lot easier to see and use outside
4. Better contrast and a lot less glare
5. Faster device backed up by performace using N64 and PSX emulators (the 720p seems to drag the Rezound down)
6. Much better touch response (like the Gnex, the Rezound has issues due to the tight pixel area on a small display with 720p)
7. Webtop options (I have the Atrix Lapdock and works great)
8. Separate HDMI and micro USB and located on top, so not on side (can be awkward if using the devcie and charging at same time).

This link sums up my points about the device in regards to speed, touch and contrast/glare.

[video=youtube;OU4V7kLV7hc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU4V7kLV7hc[/video]

Regardless of the comparison, I would be happy owning the Rezound- if the Razr were not an option. The Gnex is the least preferred of the three due to:

1. No sd slot and the internal storage displaces, as you install apps (less media space). I do not like relying on cloud data.
2. During testing noticed the range for wifi and 4G coverage were less than the Razr and Rezound.
3. Though it can be easy to hit capacitive buttons by mistake, it is REALLY easy hitting the display nav buttons when playing games on the Gnex (especially game emulators)
4. The touch issues on the Gnex make game emulators close to unplayable (at least until Samsung fix it or the app devs update to handle the small 720p displays= not sure which is the real issue).

Though I was a rom junky with the G1 and Incredible, the Razr works great and even better with root and bloat frozen.

I like playing game emulators and the Razr is actually fun to use with the virtual pads for a lot of games. N64 is a great test app for real world grunt work of the chipset. Razr plays Golden Eye and
Destruction Derby smooth, but the Gnex and Rezound do not at all.

ZBacks

Reaction score
Rezound has better resolution, better one hand fit, battery options and rom opportunities (if you are a rom junkie), the razr IMO though, is the better device:

1. Better build
2. Better call quality
3. A lot easier to see and use outside
4. Better contrast and a lot less glare
5. Faster device backed up by performace using N64 and PSX emulators (the 720p seems to drag the Rezound down)
6. Much better touch response (like the Gnex, the Rezound has issues due to the tight pixel area on a small display with 720p)
7. Webtop options (I have the Atrix Lapdock and works great)
8. Separate HDMI and micro USB and located on top, so not on side (can be awkward if using the devcie and charging at same time).

This link sums up my points about the device in regards to speed, touch and contrast/glare.

[video=youtube;OU4V7kLV7hc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU4V7kLV7hc[/video]

Regardless of the comparison, I would be happy owning the Rezound- if the Razr were not an option. The Gnex is the least preferred of the three due to:

1. No sd slot and the internal storage displaces, as you install apps (less media space). I do not like relying on cloud data.
2. During testing noticed the range for wifi and 4G coverage were less than the Razr and Rezound.
3. Though it can be easy to hit capacitive buttons by mistake, it is REALLY easy hitting the display nav buttons when playing games on the Gnex (especially game emulators)
4. The touch issues on the Gnex make game emulators close to unplayable (at least until Samsung fix it or the app devs update to handle the small 720p displays= not sure which is the real issue).

Though I was a rom junky with the G1 and Incredible, the Razr works great and even better with root and bloat frozen.

I like playing game emulators and the Razr is actually fun to use with the virtual pads for a lot of games. N64 is a great test app for real world grunt work of the chipset. Razr plays Golden Eye and
Destruction Derby smooth, but the Gnex and Rezound do not at all.
Great write up!