Further reducing power consumption of display?

mewshi

Reaction score
According to the battery usage monitor, the display accounts for 64% of the power consumption on my phone. I already have the display set to the dimmest setting; is there anything I can do to further reduce the drain? Thanks!

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

FergatROn

Reaction score
I don't think so; not with an unroot phone. I always found it funny how they gave you the option to reduce the display setting, but it didn't really do any good. I rooted my phone and I'm running a custom ROM called CyanogenMod. It's greatly improved my battery life.

OP
M

mewshi

Reaction score
Actually, I am rooted >.>

And the number has crept up to 69% now... x.x. so, maybe I should be grateful that its fairly easy to save my battery - shut the screen off! :p

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

FergatROn

Reaction score
Glad to see that you're rooted. Are you still running the ROM that came with the phone? Since running a custom ROM my display battery consumption is 4%. And this is with Brightness at auto, Animation at All animation.

YSHDT

Reaction score
Hello :)

Was hoping i could gather some more information on this subject if anyone had the time to inform a n00b.

Coming from stock 2.2 DInc, I just rooted the phone 3 days ago with Unrevoked 3. Made a Backup in recovery( so i think it was successful), Downloaded Rom manager and then made a backup through Rom manager but had to install CWR through Rom manager.......and then proceeded to Install CyanogenMod7.0.0(Love it) through this application. Had options to wipe dalv-cache, data and make a backup up Stock ROM. I checked all 3 slots and proceeded with the install of CyanogenMod7. Phone did its thing and I ended up a bit later, after the backup of rom was established and rebooting, to Cyanogen running. I had viewed my battery setting through About phone selection and noticed Display was sitting at 58% while all other processes were under 6%. I was not entirely fixated on this as i thought it would work itself out later on. After finding out my contacts were gone I was not focused on my battery much after lol (should have read more into that). I had been up for * hours messing with this phone and forums setting up some applications to improve performance and battery functionality. my battery did seem to be ALOT better. I had plugged my phone in to charge being the first charge since rooting,and and it stopped at 95% (green indicator, no charging status). I unplugged the phone and waited till drop to 95% and plugged back in but did not charge so i left the phone unplugged for 15 minutes while off and came back to the battery being at 73% while checkin display and it sat at 90% but i dont believe this to be the cause if screens not on? Phone drops 1% battery every 1-2 minutes and that has become unusual from my experience unless driving it hard, which i had not been this evening. Am i too assume that the display is reading correctly and is suppose to sit at those levels for this mod? Maybe its something I have downloaded that may cause this? or probably the Wipe of data/Dalvk-cache that I had thought I successfully did was actually not performed correctly and that is the source? I have not wiped battery stats before but am looking more into that as well

I apologize for such a long post but to help understand the situation just a little more I figured to explain in some detail. Any help would be appreciated or even a reply XD

km75

Reaction score
Even if your phone wasn't rooted the display percentage is always going to/should always be that high. Its when you see any other application taking up higher percentages that you have a problem.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Pmoser

Reaction score
Curious are yiy running cyanogenmod

Sent from my rooted Droid Increidble

kptphalkon

Reaction score
there is nothing you can do short of not using the phone unless absolutely necessary that will help you here. The display uses the power it uses, and keeping the brightness low is your only 'fix'.

Pmoser

Reaction score
Well you can undervolt :)

PetRiLJoe

Reaction score
It all depends on your usage. Display can be first, or close to last in power consumption and still be normal. On a slow day, where I start browsing YouTube and Droidforums.net from my workplace on my Droid, I use the most battery just having the screen on. Other more busy days my screen will be halfway down the list in power consumption, because the phone stayed in my pocket with the screen off the entire time unless someone called me and the screen woke itself up.

I have always had this problem you are having, and to answer your question I am pretty sure you cannot reduce the power consumption of the display besides brightness. The next best thing is to buy a phone with a smaller screen, which has less display to power. Or buy a double-sized battery w/ new battery case for your phone.

km75

Reaction score
Well you can undervolt :)

Even if he underclocks the diplays % will still be high because its based on 100%. The higher the % the better off he will be. All its letting him know is that the display is using most of the battery and not some app running wild and that's a good thing. If he has an application reading that high then that would be a problem.

Pmoser

Reaction score
That would lower the screen power consumption which was his original question

km75

Reaction score
Yes you are definitely correct that it would reduce the drain. I was letting him know that no matter what settings he keeps his display at-brightness, screen timeout etc that percent would/should still be high. It seems like he might be thinking that if the % was lower he would get better battery life. But the only way the display % would go lower is if something else went higher. At least with the display being the highest he can make adjustments in the settings.

YSHDT

Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies :).
Great forum!

I shall take this as I am fortunate that the display is high seing as I know that another app is not (to my knowledge) consuming what my display is. I was used to the display never passing 30% before I rooted and was on stock rom.

I am using the Sedio3500 ext. Battery so when I was seing such a drop I was concerned. I have wiped battery stats and am waiting for the battery to drain it's first cycle since.
I have noticed that the battery does not drop a % every minute. Hope yet!

Hoe Tribe

Pmoser

Reaction score
you never see the high display cause stock rom is not as efficent