Frozen on lock screen?

Jolest

Reaction score
When these "lockups" occur, have you tried swiping JUST on on the gray unlock arch -instead- of swiping the whole screen?

The old Eris firmware would unlock if you swiped anywhere on the lock screen and that's what I learned to do. After the update, I too thought my phone was locking up on me. Swiping on the top half of the new lock screen does -nothing- and looks like the phone has crashed. I then noticed that it worked "sometimes" and finally figured out that you have to touch the gray arch and then swipe it.

Good luck.

Yogiwolfman

Reaction score
Possible solution?

Okay, after a lengthy talk with two HTC customer service reps (one was an uber-douche, the other was very pleasant), they want me to backup my contacts via HTC Sync, and then do a hard reset (Menu > Settings > Security > Factory data reset). They said this will restore to factory setting, unfortunately deleting all apps that I've downloaded along with all the hours of customization I've put into the phone. :mad:

The helpful rep said that Verizon and Google are responsible for the coding errors, and that the reps didn't know that there was an over-air firmware update until this morning when they got in to work.

I'll post again if this has solved the problem. In the meantime, if you haven't opted for the update, don't do it until Verizon/Google get the bugs worked out!

karoded

Reaction score
Another voice crying out with the lock issue.....though mine does unlock after a minute or so. Seems to only happen when I am receiving a phone call and that minute feels like forever with the phone ringing anf ringing and......

Yogiwolfman

Reaction score
Problem fixed

Okay, the "restore to factory settings" dance fixed the problem. It was a huge pain in the butt, but I backed up contacts, wrote down all the 50+ apps that I had downloaded to my phone, made notes of how things looked on each page, and then did the factory reset. 2+ hours later, I was laying in bed, barely awake, with a phone that worked just as well as before the faulty update. :clap:

Hopefully, now, Verizon will have it logged in their database that I have received the update and won't send me the annoying update notification again.

Hope this helps!

lowtech

Reaction score
Okay, the "restore to factory settings" dance fixed the problem. It was a huge pain in the butt, but I backed up contacts, wrote down all the 50+ apps that I had downloaded to my phone, made notes of how things looked on each page, and then did the factory reset. 2+ hours later, I was laying in bed, barely awake, with a phone that worked just as well as before the faulty update. :clap:

Hopefully, now, Verizon will have it logged in their database that I have received the update and won't send me the annoying update notification again.

Hope this helps!

Whew... that is daunting! Well done!... following your lead, now I know how to prepare for a total restore - which sooner or later we all have to do it seems. :mad:

loonymike

Reaction score
I just got my phone last night and did the update froze 3 times. However I think it's from maybe a 3rd party app. I deleted all the apps and started over slowly. So far so good.

lowtech

Reaction score
I just got my phone last night and did the update froze 3 times. However I think it's from maybe a 3rd party app. I deleted all the apps and started over slowly. So far so good.

If you install one that does freeze it, please post it here.

GrdLock

Reaction score
I've been having the same issue.

I got my OTA update Saturday morning. I've never had it freeze on me since I got the phone, and since the OTA update, the phone worked fine Sat/Sun/Mon.

However, earlier today, I received a text, went to unlock the phone, and it froze solid. Pulled the battery to reset it. A few hours later, I didn't receive anything, but simply went to unlock the phone, and it froze again.

I was applauding HTC/VZW/Google for their quick update for the Eris, but it seems that with the update, they created more problems than they fixed! My phone was working just fine before the update, my battery was fine, speed was fine, but now it's locking up, YouTube videos won't play in hi-quality unless I'm connected with wifi, Google Voice is f'ed up, , and I had to switch to chompSMS because that char counter was annoying as hell. I was still ok with most of the issues, but when my phone started to lock, that pushed me over the edge.

If I continue to have issues I'll give the factory reset a shot and reload all my stuff, but I'll definitely be pretty pissed if I have to do that because of a crappy update that was supposed to FIX issues.

Way to go HTC. This update never should have been pushed until it had been tested a lot more thoroughly than it obviously was.

Last edited:
OP
R

rtb

Reaction score
Wow! Forgot I made this thread! It's still only happened to mine one time.

JeremyJesse

Reaction score
Sadness

This happened to me, I am pretty sure that I updated mine as well. :( The grey bar was frozen, all the icons on the top bar, clock, and pandora radio kept working. I was simply unable to pull the grey bar down no matter what.:greendroid:

mtnman64

Reaction score
Things got so bad after update, I called Verizon. After a few calls, finally reached a tech who knew their stuff. They put me in direct contact with an HTC tech support person. They are claiming that any issues with the update are caused by the update not completing properly. After much discussion, he convinced me to do a master reset. A real pain, having to re-build the phone, apps, settings, etc. Did this last night (still working on tweaking back to where I had it). Will see how it performs over the next couple of days. If this did not fix it, supposedly it is a hardware issue. As for me, if this did not correct the problems, the Eris is going back permanently.

JeremyJesse

Reaction score
Can't blame you, I look forward to NOT hearing you having the issue yourself. Let us know, I would love to peace of mind.

demnogis

Reaction score
My eris with the update has done this twice. Battery pulls are fun :(

dntbstpd1

Reaction score
Okay, after a lengthy talk with two HTC customer service reps (one was an uber-douche, the other was very pleasant), they want me to backup my contacts via HTC Sync, and then do a hard reset (Menu > Settings > Security > Factory data reset). They said this will restore to factory setting, unfortunately deleting all apps that I've downloaded along with all the hours of customization I've put into the phone. :mad:

The helpful rep said that Verizon and Google are responsible for the coding errors, and that the reps didn't know that there was an over-air firmware update until this morning when they got in to work.

I'll post again if this has solved the problem. In the meantime, if you haven't opted for the update, don't do it until Verizon/Google get the bugs worked out!

I actually got my Droid Eris November 25th, and I have had this issue occasionally ever since day 1. I just figured it was a bug that comes with adopting tech early and would eventually be fixed. HOWEVER, I have had this issue seldomly since well before the update. So i don't think JUST the update is to blame.

It is occurring probably twice a week, nothing major. Not everyday.