From my personal blog "iphone vs Droid ... NOT!"

dylanthecat

Reaction score
editing video on the phone, sounds potentially cool / useful. But how efficient would that be? Not to mention the frustration of trying to get it do what you want.

..and what the heck are these:
Ibird app
Beejive app
Buzztime mobile playmaker app

??​

Iphone has a basic video editing app that allows you to crop starting and ending points and I think adjust a couple of things. Pretty nice. I like to take video and then share it with family, but it would be very nice to just clip a 10 second section out of a video to share right away.

Ibird is a nice bird identification app
Beejive is a instant messaging app that incorporates many different IM clients. There are some options for this on Android, but not as nice.

Buzztime allows you to use your iphone or ipod touch as a playmaker device to play the trivia and poker games and such you might find in a Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant.

And I would not trade my Droid for an Iphone if you paid me. (well, depends on the offer)

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Better is always subjective. When it comes to smartphones better only means "better suited". One size will never fit all.

True, the there is no Universal Panacea for cell phones.

And somehow I feel that the only true "iPhone Killer" will be either Apple or AT&T. I mean, it'll be something they'll do for it to fall out of favor.

Strongest argument people have for what iPhones can do that androids cant is they can use iphone apps. There are some cool apps that are not available for android, such as Plants vs Zombies.

I have a question about iPhone apps. Does the iPhone have a Market so you can get an app OTA, or just via iTunes?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
A well-done rigid OS like Apple can appeal to a lot of people for simplicity and function, but there's really nothing to stop Android from doing something similar as stock.

Android is just going to get better and better. A lot of people seem to be underestimating the breadth and depth of Google's ventures.

Apple primarily makes pretty boxes. They really can't compete with Google's suite of products which seems to be growing by the day (just wait until they roll out Gizmo seamlessly integrated with Google Voice).

VZW has the pipes and Google has the products. It's really an awesome combination. And the funny thing is, neither is truly tied to the commodity in this chain - the cell phone! Increased competition in cells only benefits BOTH VZW and Google.

Droid is a lot like learning to use a new computer, although it it's a pretty quick learning curve if you don't get fancy. But for any moderately tech literate person, the Droid should be the clear choice.

Widgets are awesome! They give you Blackberry-like e-mail functionality. And for quickly monitoring news and multiple other things, widgets are a superior utility. 30 seconds here, 30 seconds there can really add-up to make your day more productive (because it's not just about email).

Fault

Reaction score
I do understand the appeal though. First off, there is no arguing it, Apple has amazing marketing. They have done a great job of making sure their stuff is 'cool'. The ipod is a great example. Once people started using the ipod, they thought well since ipods are cool, maybe macs are too. Same followed with iphone. I dont really understand why people this windows is so non user friendly, I have had so many more problems using a mac. W/e, as I said, there is a very big 'cool factor' with iphones

accellpo

Reaction score
editing video on the phone, sounds potentially cool / useful. But how efficient would that be? Not to mention the frustration of trying to get it do what you want.

..and what the heck are these:
Ibird app
Beejive app
Buzztime mobile playmaker app

??​

Iphone has a basic video editing app that allows you to crop starting and ending points and I think adjust a couple of things. Pretty nice. I like to take video and then share it with family, but it would be very nice to just clip a 10 second section out of a video to share right away.

Ibird is a nice bird identification app
Beejive is a instant messaging app that incorporates many different IM clients. There are some options for this on Android, but not as nice.

Buzztime allows you to use your iphone or ipod touch as a playmaker device to play the trivia and poker games and such you might find in a Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant.

And I would not trade my Droid for an Iphone if you paid me. (well, depends on the offer)

Video editing is cool but those others are totally useless for me. (bird identification app)LMAO!!!

dylanthecat

Reaction score
My 28 month old grand daughter actually likes the ibird app on my ipod touch. She see birds at the feeder and asks "grandpa, what kind?" and runs to get the ipod. What freaks me out is how at home she is with electronic devices. She turns the ipod on, swipes her finger till she gets to her page of apps, and then launches ibird. She likes animals and sounds and the sketches programs and pretty much can run them by herself. Crazy how kids pick up on stuff.

blunted

Reaction score
its not soo much a cool factor that makes it a great phone. Its the fact that it does everything its supposed to do, without hesitation or error. Its not nearly as advanced as the droid, but i really cant see anyone admitting that it doesnt have the silkiest touchscreen. The iphone is just too boring once you try a good android phone though (even though im on a stupid TELUS milestone :| )

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
No its not subjective .. in my opinion (hehe i added that as a zing lol)

Some millionaires drive Toyota Corollas. Is it because they are cheap? Sure maybe. But there are some that just buy that car because they dont NEED such an amazing vehicle. The Toyota goes from pointA to pointB ... thats all they need, and they are happy with that. But you wont hear any one of them say their Toyota is "better" than a Mercedes. They just dont need it. But the point of my rant/post is that at least they admit the other car is "Better"!

In comparison, some people dont need to change home screens, or have fast browsing, or a replaceable battery, or navi, or whatever else ... so they go with the simpler version, the iPhone. But then rave that the iPhone is the better device??

Sorry. Have to take Takeshi's eminently reasonable side on this one. Is a Porsche "better" than a Land Rover? For the autobahn, you bet. For the outback? No.

For a large majority of consumers a simple to use device that responds predictably 99+% of the time and has a wealth of applications may well be "better" than a phone that exceeds the iPhone is terms of "customizability" but presents a significantly greater burden in terms of maintenance and a far more limited set of applications.

dmacleo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
1: they both have their place and each one drives the other to be better.
2: I like the fact I SAY what is on my phone and can install what I want when I want. its a control thing.