Droid Prime vs. iphone 5

pilot25

Reaction score
I haven't logged on here in ages.

I still have the original droid and it's done. It's been done for a long time. Time to move on. Looking forward to the Prime and iphone 5 announcements and going to compare.

I'm not a fanboy of either OS just want something that isn't going to have problems like I've had with the original droid since day 1. Wife has the X and it's been mostly fine but I definitely will never purchase another Moto product again. Reports of the Bionic problems reaffirms that fact.

Can anyone give me an unbiased opinion on making a choice. I'm a gmail user but I hate the native gmail app with the stupid conversations. I also don't much like K9 either. Haven't seen anything else that is a simple email app. I love Google Maps which I know is constrained on the iphone. That's a big deal to me. Gotta have my NAV.

I don't watch videos on my phone nor do I care about the camera on it. I do use facetime quite a bit but it's not a deal breaker like Google Maps might be.

I have never used the iphone extensively but this original droid is such a POS for so long that it's making me consider the unthinkable of looking at iphone.

finally, i will not root or jailbreak. I don't have the desire or time to fiddle with the thing. I don't look at the device as a hobby but as a tool.

Thanks.

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
I think its a bit to soon to tell... we should be smarter this time tomorrow... at least in regards to the iPhone. I would never buy an iPhone and hopefully Verizon wouldn't disappoint and actually get this nexus prime/droid..

thirsty1258

Reaction score
I haven't logged on here in ages.

I still have the original droid and it's done. It's been done for a long time. Time to move on. Looking forward to the Prime and iphone 5 announcements and going to compare.

I'm not a fanboy of either OS just want something that isn't going to have problems like I've had with the original droid since day 1. Wife has the X and it's been mostly fine but I definitely will never purchase another Moto product again. Reports of the Bionic problems reaffirms that fact.

Can anyone give me an unbiased opinion on making a choice. I'm a gmail user but I hate the native gmail app with the stupid conversations. I also don't much like K9 either. Haven't seen anything else that is a simple email app. I love Google Maps which I know is constrained on the iphone. That's a big deal to me. Gotta have my NAV.

I don't watch videos on my phone nor do I care about the camera on it. I do use facetime quite a bit but it's not a deal breaker like Google Maps might be.

I have never used the iphone extensively but this original droid is such a POS for so long that it's making me consider the unthinkable of looking at iphone.

finally, i will not root or jailbreak. I don't have the desire or time to fiddle with the thing. I don't look at the device as a hobby but as a tool.

Thanks.

My droid held up until it finally died. I was impressed. Until the end. It doesn't sound like you tinker so iPhone is probably your better bet. I hate apple but its made to be simple and have a lot of apps. I rock android cuz mess with stuff all the time

sent from my thunderbolt

googlelover

Reaction score
My droid held up until it finally died. I was impressed. Until the end. It doesn't sound like you tinker so iPhone is probably your better bet. I hate apple but its made to be simple and have a lot of apps. I rock android cuz mess with stuff all the time

sent from my thunderbolt
+1, hit it right on the dot, Android is for more techy people that like to spend the time to customize their phone.

jcardona1

Reaction score

sent from my thunderbolt

I agree. The iPhone is great and a perfectly capable phone, for those that want a simple-to-use works-well-right-out-of-the-box-phone. Sounds like the OP is one of those people. I love to customize and tinker with my phone, so Apple isn't the right choice for me.

MonkeyTime

Reaction score
Why does everyone forget how many problems the iPhone had "out of the box" on Version 1? The second version didn't have as many, and all minor, but the biggest upgrade was the addition of 3G. The OS was upgraded, but only marginally.

If you take out of the equation all of the "problems" that come from people rooting and playing, I think it's a toss up. While Apple may have less problems, they NEVER push the hardware to the edge in function, so they should have less problems. There is a reason that they are always playing catchup on what their phones can do.

If you want it simple and want it to work, go Apple, it's a solid product. I tend to use my phone in so many ways that are integrated, it would leave me feeling shorted.

OP
pilot25

pilot25

Reaction score
iphone 4s. Guess Apple made the decision for me. Hope the Prime comes out soon after the announcement on the 11th.

Beka27

Reaction score
Rumor is it won't be out til early 2012...

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Rumor is it won't be out til early 2012...

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

P3droid from MDW says that rumor is all BS. He goes on to say we can excpect this device in november.

Sent from my Droid 3 directly to YOU!

nikecar

Reaction score
considering there really isn't any substantive proof of specs of the Prime nor iPhone5, its kinda premature to say which is better.

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
considering there really isn't any substantive proof of specs of the Prime nor iPhone5, its kinda premature to say which is better.

I agree...how can we compare the two without even knowing much about them officially.

Sent from my Droid 3 directly to YOU!

OP
pilot25

pilot25

Reaction score
well, they posted a teaser video and it's really curved. I'm kinda worried about that. if it's really radical I might not be too enthused. 5 more days to find out.

iphone was a let down I hope prime knocks it out of the park. I won't go the bionic route.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Apple has been known to make an "s" version, so I don't see why people are so surprised that there was no 5 yet. The 4s really puts the iphone back to the top, in my opinion. Apple realized they were behind the game and updated the internals, so now comparisons to the iphone will be more accurate. The iPhone will be the "bar setter" for awhile now, although it seems it's always been even with better android devices coming out since.

What I really want to see is how the iPhone 5 will be considering their final opinion Jobs has passed away (RIP). I really think this will affect the products that come out now. Will quality go down? Probably not, but it's that sense that Jobs isn't there to approve the new devices/software coming out and that'll hurt their market a little bit. As much as I don't like Apple, you can't deny that the products they put out are quite polished and functional, they're just not for me.

As for the Prime, this thing is going to be huge. I've seen a couple samsung fascinates that have a 4.5" screen and those are pushing it for me, and I have fairly large hands. We'll see in 6 days(?), but for now I'm taking the Prime off as a device to upgrade to with that ridiculous screen size. I miss the days of 3.7" screens, perfect size for a phone:/

Wonmotyme

Reaction score
What people fail to realize is the nexus device will not have the normal buttons on the bottom. This is because ICS incorporates it in the software. This means you can increase screen size to 4.65" and not see an increase in phone size. Ya dig?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
What people fail to realize is the nexus device will not have the normal buttons on the bottom. This is because ICS incorporates it in the software. This means you can increase screen size to 4.65" and not see an increase in phone size. Ya dig?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Point taken and I admit I forgot about that feature, but it's still the size of a 4.5" screen device. I know phones are all personal preference, but 4.5" screen on a phone is overdoing it and 3.7" screens are becoming slowly phased out to 4" devices.