Droid Prime vs. iphone 5

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by pilot25, Oct 3, 2011.

1. pilot25

pilot25 New Member

I haven't logged on here in ages.

I still have the original droid and it's done. It's been done for a long time. Time to move on. Looking forward to the Prime and iphone 5 announcements and going to compare.

I'm not a fanboy of either OS just want something that isn't going to have problems like I've had with the original droid since day 1. Wife has the X and it's been mostly fine but I definitely will never purchase another Moto product again. Reports of the Bionic problems reaffirms that fact.

Can anyone give me an unbiased opinion on making a choice. I'm a gmail user but I hate the native gmail app with the stupid conversations. I also don't much like K9 either. Haven't seen anything else that is a simple email app. I love Google Maps which I know is constrained on the iphone. That's a big deal to me. Gotta have my NAV.

I don't watch videos on my phone nor do I care about the camera on it. I do use facetime quite a bit but it's not a deal breaker like Google Maps might be.

I have never used the iphone extensively but this original droid is such a POS for so long that it's making me consider the unthinkable of looking at iphone.

finally, i will not root or jailbreak. I don't have the desire or time to fiddle with the thing. I don't look at the device as a hobby but as a tool.

Thanks.
  2. Chizzele

Chizzele Team Sourcery Developer

I think its a bit to soon to tell... we should be smarter this time tomorrow... at least in regards to the iPhone. I would never buy an iPhone and hopefully Verizon wouldn't disappoint and actually get this nexus prime/droid..
  3. thirsty1258

thirsty1258 New Member

My droid held up until it finally died. I was impressed. Until the end. It doesn't sound like you tinker so iPhone is probably your better bet. I hate apple but its made to be simple and have a lot of apps. I rock android cuz mess with stuff all the time

sent from my thunderbolt
  4. googlelover

googlelover New Member

+1, hit it right on the dot, Android is for more techy people that like to spend the time to customize their phone.
  5. jcardona1

jcardona1 New Member

I agree. The iPhone is great and a perfectly capable phone, for those that want a simple-to-use works-well-right-out-of-the-box-phone. Sounds like the OP is one of those people. I love to customize and tinker with my phone, so Apple isn't the right choice for me.
  6. MonkeyTime

MonkeyTime New Member

Why does everyone forget how many problems the iPhone had "out of the box" on Version 1? The second version didn't have as many, and all minor, but the biggest upgrade was the addition of 3G. The OS was upgraded, but only marginally.

If you take out of the equation all of the "problems" that come from people rooting and playing, I think it's a toss up. While Apple may have less problems, they NEVER push the hardware to the edge in function, so they should have less problems. There is a reason that they are always playing catchup on what their phones can do.

If you want it simple and want it to work, go Apple, it's a solid product. I tend to use my phone in so many ways that are integrated, it would leave me feeling shorted.
  7. pilot25

pilot25 New Member

iphone 4s. Guess Apple made the decision for me. Hope the Prime comes out soon after the announcement on the 11th.
  8. Beka27

Beka27 New Member

Rumor is it won't be out til early 2012...

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  9. Malvado

Malvado DF News Team/Mod Premium Member

P3droid from MDW says that rumor is all BS. He goes on to say we can excpect this device in november.

Sent from my Droid 3 directly to YOU!
  10. nikecar

nikecar New Member

considering there really isn't any substantive proof of specs of the Prime nor iPhone5, its kinda premature to say which is better.
  11. Malvado

Malvado DF News Team/Mod Premium Member

I agree...how can we compare the two without even knowing much about them officially.

Sent from my Droid 3 directly to YOU!
  12. pilot25

pilot25 New Member

well, they posted a teaser video and it's really curved. I'm kinda worried about that. if it's really radical I might not be too enthused. 5 more days to find out.

iphone was a let down I hope prime knocks it out of the park. I won't go the bionic route.
  13. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

Apple has been known to make an "s" version, so I don't see why people are so surprised that there was no 5 yet. The 4s really puts the iphone back to the top, in my opinion. Apple realized they were behind the game and updated the internals, so now comparisons to the iphone will be more accurate. The iPhone will be the "bar setter" for awhile now, although it seems it's always been even with better android devices coming out since.

What I really want to see is how the iPhone 5 will be considering their final opinion Jobs has passed away (RIP). I really think this will affect the products that come out now. Will quality go down? Probably not, but it's that sense that Jobs isn't there to approve the new devices/software coming out and that'll hurt their market a little bit. As much as I don't like Apple, you can't deny that the products they put out are quite polished and functional, they're just not for me.

As for the Prime, this thing is going to be huge. I've seen a couple samsung fascinates that have a 4.5" screen and those are pushing it for me, and I have fairly large hands. We'll see in 6 days(?), but for now I'm taking the Prime off as a device to upgrade to with that ridiculous screen size. I miss the days of 3.7" screens, perfect size for a phone:/
  14. Wonmotyme

Wonmotyme New Member

What people fail to realize is the nexus device will not have the normal buttons on the bottom. This is because ICS incorporates it in the software. This means you can increase screen size to 4.65" and not see an increase in phone size. Ya dig?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums
  15. dezymond

Point taken and I admit I forgot about that feature, but it's still the size of a 4.5" screen device. I know phones are all personal preference, but 4.5" screen on a phone is overdoing it and 3.7" screens are becoming slowly phased out to 4" devices.
  16. pilot25

pilot25 New Member

Love the idea of a full use 4.65 inches. I hope it's edge to edge. I hate the borders on phones.

Any thoughts on why it will be curved? How is that going to affect watching videos? Holding it horizontal vs. vertical?

This curved glass has me worried.
  17. MissionImprobable

MissionImprobable Well-Known Member

Why is it that you wouldn't want a larger viewing area on a phone that doesn't have any larger of a footprint? Seems like anyone would appreciated not always having to zoom to view things on web pages and seeing videos on a larger screen.
  18. dezymond

Oh no don't get me wrong, a 4.65" screen on the same body of a 4.5" screen would be great. However, I just think for a phone, anything over 4" screen isn't necessary. I mean if you're going to be spending so much time browsing the internet you might as well use a computer or a netbook. As for viewing videos, I doubt anyone here really watches a whole full length movie save for the few times on an airplane or something.

I know many of you like the bigger screened devices, but I mean it's a phone and to me anything over 4" is a bit extreme. It seems like a nice device on paper and the mock up of it, but just the size of the thing is a potential deal-breaker for me, I mean I think the Droid X is already a big phone. I mean there are many different devices for a reason right :p

To each their own...I just miss the fact that alot of devices are going to be minimum 4" instead of the original 3.7", which is the perfect size for a phone imo.
  19. MissionImprobable

MissionImprobable Well-Known Member

I just want the best of both worlds where possible. I like netbooks and tablets and such but have no desire to tote one around with me. As I clip my phone to my belt as long as it's not ridiculously large I'm fine with it. Guess we'll see where everything falls once all these new gadgets come out though.
  20. dezymond

Yeah I get where you're coming from, not exactly easy to carry around a laptop or tablet without some sort of bag with you, me being a student so I have a backpack on me :).

I mean in terms of just a phone the biggest phone I had was the HTC Tilt or Droid 1, toss up between the two, though the Tilt was certainly thicker. At least these devices are slim, I honestly can't knock it as I haven't had anything larger than the Tilt, but considering from some hands-on experience with a couple of friends' phones (DX, Fascinate, D3), seems a little too big and I don't wear skinny jeans either :p

I'll see when it comes out, the device does look promising and certainly from the mock up one of the best looking.

5 more days :icon_ banana: