Friend dropped his D4 in the toilet.

amishdude01

Reaction score
Last night, my friend dropped his D4 in the toilet. The phone is busted as of right now, but he did say that the watermark on the phone was untouched. I told him to do the rice trick and see what happens. Can he go to vzw and get a replacement? Im not sure how they do replacements nowadays.

omar908

Reaction score
amishdude01 said:
Last night, my friend dropped his D4 in the toilet. The phone is busted as of right now, but he did say that the watermark on the phone was untouched. I told him to do the rice trick and see what happens. Can he go to vzw and get a replacement? Im not sure how they do replacements nowadays.

If the watermark is not completely changed color i dont think theirs anyway they can tell that it got wet, unless you tell them of course :p

OP
amishdude01

amishdude01

Reaction score
If the watermark is not completely changed color i dont think theirs anyway they can tell that it got wet, unless you tell them of course :p

Ok sweet. He did say that there was some condensation in the screen, but I am assuming that the rice will (hopefully) absorb it.

omar908

Reaction score
amishdude01 said:
Ok sweet. He did say that there was some condensation in the screen, but I am assuming that the rice will (hopefully) absorb it.

Lets just hope it does

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
If it doesn't, just remember, fraud is not cool - it's your friend's screw up that caused his phone to fall into the toilet, it's HIS responsibility to replace it; NOT Verizon's.

myfishbear

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
If it doesn't, just remember, fraud is not cool - it's your friend's screw up that caused his phone to fall into the toilet, it's HIS responsibility to replace it; NOT Verizon's.
BOOOOOO! vzw will eat your first born if you offered it to them.
try sillica gel packets like in your shoes... seal it up in a bag with it and a crap load of rice.

DocWalt

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
Not to mention fraud isn't legal. If there's corrosion in the phone it's pretty easy for them to figure out what happened.

I wonder how splash resistant the D4 actually is...

Inuyashamish

Reaction score

I was going to post something here, but it seems my friend already beat me to it.

I took the phone to verizon today and just said the phone wouldnt turn on or charge or do anything. They didn't do any kind of inspection on the phone and just set up a replacement to motorola. As far as I can visually see, there is no indication that there was water damage. The condensation is gone and the one water damage seal I can see is fine. I'm sure there are other ways to tell that it was damaged and I'm really not liking all of the horror stories about getting billed $550 once they realize it was water damaged. Some people said that they won't even return the old damaged phone to you and not refund the payment even if you send the new phone back. I'm starting to wonder if its safer just to buy a new phone using my mom's upgrade for 100 bucks instead of risking the 550 dollar bill.

Any thoughts on what I should do?

txter

Reaction score
If you have insurance on your phone and you do get it ruined then they should replace it. Accidents happen. However, water damage or not, if the phones internals get ruined and the phone doesn't work correctly then it should be replaced.
This happened to me once with my D2G. My 3 yr old daughter tossed it in a cup of water to clean it. I took it to VZW and they asked what happened and my daughter was just too happy to tell them she washed daddy's phone. The lady laughed and set me up with a replacement in the mail.
Who really knows how much the check into the phones that get returned.
Good luck.

kwyrt

Reaction score
If you have insurance on your phone and you do get it ruined then they should replace it. Accidents happen. However, water damage or not, if the phones internals get ruined and the phone doesn't work correctly then it should be replaced.
This happened to me once with my D2G. My 3 yr old daughter tossed it in a cup of water to clean it. I took it to VZW and they asked what happened and my daughter was just too happy to tell them she washed daddy's phone. The lady laughed and set me up with a replacement in the mail.
Who really knows how much the check into the phones that get returned.
Good luck.

I too have lost an electronic item or two due to my child "cleaning" it. LOL! The worst part is, you can't even get mad!

Droid 4 - AOKP Skyline

Inuyashamish

Reaction score
I've decided to play it the safe route and just used a family members upgrade to buy a new D4 for 99 bucks. I thought I would be better off paying that than chancing a 549 dollar charge on my next bill.

tchalm

Reaction score
Insurance

That's why its good to have insurance on an expensive item. I pay for the insurance until I can afford to do an upgrade at the reduced price.

FWIW. My first D4 lasted 3 weeks; it was all charged up in the morning, and I used it around noon and put it back in my pocket, but pulled it out of my pocket around 3 PM and it was totally dead. I tried everything to bring it back to life, but nothing worked. Thankfully VZW replaced it.

TC

DevilDogMP

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wait but the warranty on the phone should have only made you pay a small portion of that phone price. Atleast I thought

Sent from my DROID Bionic using Tapatalk