dropped my droid 4 in the toilet. is there any chance it may survive?

seensarah1513

Reaction score
So while I was at church this morning, I slid my droid 4 into my back pocket. Apparently I forgot that it was there and it must have slipped out when I went into the bathroom. I didn't realize it had fallen into the toilet for at least a minute or two... Once I got to my car (a few minutes later [after I dried it off as best as I could]), I took it apart as much as i could and continually kept wiping the water off. But since you can't take the battery out of droid 4's, I'm not sure if it has any chance at all of surviving this...

I have it in a bag of rice. Although I did try to turn it on a couple of times on my drive home and it started to but then stopped. And after 3 hours of sitting in rice I tried it again and now it won't do anything. Does anyone have any sort of helpful information for me? Thank you in advance by the way! I live states away from all of my family and friends. So it is extremely important for me to have a phone...

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
unfortunately, there isnt much you can do this long after it got wet.
try keeping it in the rice, but expect it to be a loss.
sorry :(

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My helpful advice is get the insurance replacement phone by calling Asurion. Your phone is down for the count.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I think turning the phone on and off multiple times during your drive home may have hurt your phone more than helped. Whenever your phone or any electronic device that drops in the water, you should turn it off and keep it off until it is completely dry. 3hrs in rice isn't anywhere near long enough for it to work and that last attempt at a bootup certainly didn't help.

If you have insurance you can get it replaced, but I'd count it as a loss. You can leave it in rice overnight, but I wouldn't get my hopes up too high at all as it seems you attempted to turn it on too many times while it was still wet.

cdipier2

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me this past december. Dropped it in the toilet and i couldn't get it to work so i had to use insurance to get another.

The part that gets me is that i had just gotten it back from Motorola like 2 weeks before. I had sent it in because it kept over heating and draining rapidly. They changed the battery and something else under warranty