Frg01b for root users -- post here

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
There is some confusion going on with the other "Official Thread." That should be for stock users only If you are rooted come on in here to discuss.

mountaineerndixie

Reaction score
I rooted after applying 2.2 ota manually. I cant figure out if I will get and ota notification or not. My system reads FRG01B but I did change the kernel.

Fairly new to root so I dont know what to expect. If I do get ota update and accept it, will it unroot me? If so, will Easy Root work with todays ota? Still just 2.2 isnt it?

Thanks, hook...

Sent from my Moto Droid using Tapatalk

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I rooted after applying 2.2 ota manually. I cant figure out if I will get and ota notification or not. My system reads FRG01B but I did change the kernel.

Fairly new to root so I dont know what to expect. If I do get ota update and accept it, will it unroot me? If so, will Easy Root work with todays ota? Still just 2.2 isnt it?

Thanks, hook...

Sent from my Moto Droid using Tapatalk

You shouldn't even get the alert. My understanding is that when the update is sniffing out who's got what the alert won't hit you if you've got the "official" update. Now if you have FRG01B that was leaked, then you may get an alert. If you do accept it and SPRecovery or Clockwork should block the update.

If you weren't aware you can get the exact same FRG01B that's being pushed out here, only it's for rooted Droids. If you install this you definitely will not get the push.

Check out the link below for more information on this:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...es-frg01b-official-get-here-6.html#post713153

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Some general concepts based on last ota's and rooted users.

You will likley get the ota notification. Sprecovery or CW will not allow the installation, but you need to be on the look-out for it. The reason is that on the past 2.1 ota roll out, folks were getting stuck in a battery draining situation where the ota was constantly polling and trying to download and update. One thing to check, a "thing" that was done in the early days was to rename otacerts.zip to otacerts.bak. This file is in /system/etc/security. I would suggest checking to make sure your rom maker has not nuked this file, or renamed it. Again, with this file renamed, or you ignoring the ota, you could get into a battery draining situation. My guess is that the rom makers are no longer editing this file, but I would check to be sure.

Back to sprecovery or CW, accept the ota and let it install. These recoveries will block the install, and when the phone reboots nothing will have changed, other than in about phone, your phone will think it is up to date, and you will no longer be bothered by the ota.

The ota is gonna be completely random, and may take days or weeks to reach you. I would not get too anal about checking your phone every few minutes, as this is not gonna help. You will get notification when VZW is ready, no sooner.

I am not up to snuff on easy root or the other ways to easily get root, but if you do not have sprecovery or Cw installed, and are rooted (not even sure this is possible), please be cautious. Please reboot into recovery, and make sure you have either sp or cw. If it is possible to be rooted without cw or sp, this ota will unroot you, and you may have issues getting back to root, easily. Perhaps having to try and sbf (for which we do not have one yet for 2.2 I think), or wait to see if the folks who gave you your rooting solution can apply the process to 2.2.

Craig

driodman

Reaction score
hey i was wondering if can i unroot if i put the stock update.zip file on my phone and boot inton recovery and apply it. i dont want to unroot i love being rooted but is that possible. and i have rom manager on my phone and i was wondering how do i get back my rooted phone without any rom on my phone, what i mean is how do i just go back to being rooted and thats it, no custom roms or anything but to just being rooted

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
hey i was wondering if can i unroot if i put the stock update.zip file on my phone and boot inton recovery and apply it. i dont want to unroot i love being rooted but is that possible. and i have rom manager on my phone and i was wondering how do i get back my rooted phone without any rom on my phone, what i mean is how do i just go back to being rooted and thats it, no custom roms or anything but to just being rooted

droidman, read the third post. I tell you exactly how to do this.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

mountaineerndixie

Reaction score
No, today's version is the "final" version. Who knows what we had before.

Hookbill's 3rd post has todays ota rooted, right?

When I did the manual ota last week it was 42.5 mb. The one in the 3rd post from hookbill is 72+/- mb.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

alphawave7

Reaction score
No, today's version is the "final" version. Who knows what we had before.

The first 'leaked' version came from Google's update servers (aka 'patch' version), and was around 45mb (IIRC), which appears to match what folks are reporting in the OTA version...phones are reporting identical info whether by OTA or manually updating using the 'patch' update. I haven't followed the 'Full' update closely enough to know if the that update ALSO shows the same info, but I'm sure some digging would reveal any differences.