frequency spectrum

HowardZ

Reaction score
I recently found this news article from April. It is a few months old, but is interesting.

How Verizon Wireless May Kill Hope for LTE Interoperability - Businessweek

Basically, AT&T and Verizon are using different portions of the 700 MHz band for their LTE networks. It is even worse with Verizon reversing its duplex in its portion of the 700 MHz band.

In addition, Verizon is planning to abandon 700 MHz band and use its recently acquired 1700/2100 MHz bands for LTE.

This will make it more expensive and impractical to make global phones like the HTC rezound which will work on any cell carrier.

This also implies that in a few years all Verizon phones may become obsolete because if their inability to operate LTE on the 1700/2100 MHz bands.

Our HTC rezound might only work on gsm networks in a few years time?

Last edited:

acousticshade

Reaction score
Just wait till 6G comes out! Heck they are already working on getting data speeds that are 100x the current transfer rate and think they can achieve that in a matter of years. Those radios will work in the GHz and THz ranges.

acejavelin

Reaction score
Indeed... there are two competing standard so far for "5G" or whatever you want to call it, WirelessMAN-Advanced and and LTE-Advanced, both of which can deliver 100Mbit/sec to 1GBit/sec speeds... yes I said ONE GIGABIT PER SECOND speed are possible, and within the next three years. Article on Gizmodo: What Comes After 4G? or search on Google all you want, there are tons of other articles out there, and then again, something else could be right around the corner that we don't know about yet, too.

So let VZW lock down 4G, it will be like all the other technologies before it, obsolete in a few years. It is the nature of the beast! :icon_ devil:

marioval

Reaction score
I don't see the point of faster networks when the data plans are so restrictive and expensive and force us to wifi anyway.