FREE Phones With Verizon's New Unlimited Data Plans

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
From what I read, it is free, aside from the phone you have to trade in. You make the initial first couple of payments and then it is credited back. As Jackie stated in post #7. Yes, you have to pay the $25 or whatever and then you will receive a credit of $25 for that month. The thing that is not free is having to turn in your old phone...from that list, they are not old.
I wouldn't want to turn in my phone..I only got it in September.. So I think I'll stay with what I've got

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I wouldn't want to turn in my phone..I only got it in September.. So I think I'll stay with what I've got

Our phones are not on the list of eligible trade ins since they are still the "current model". The phones that are eligible are primarily last year's models.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Our phones are not on the list of eligible trade ins since they are still the "current model". The phones that are eligible are primarily last year's models.

Thanks for the info.. That makes sense

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
From what I read, it is free, aside from the phone you have to trade in. You make the initial first couple of payments and then it is credited back. As Jackie stated in post #7. Yes, you have to pay the $25 or whatever and then you will receive a credit of $25 for that month. The thing that is not free is having to turn in your old phone...from that list, they are not old.
Yes you are credited back, but is it the full amount?

No they slowly give you back the full amount over 24 months, of which that balance is sitting on whatever card you used to pay for the phone initially.

So to say this makes it more affordable is garbage as you still have to incur a charge on your credit card which would take away from the available credit on your card.

So lets say if you need credit to replace that water pump or transmission on your car should it go belly up during that 24 months you wold have up to $792 that would not be available to your credit to repair your car with..... unless your pay your card off right away which in that case you might as well purchase the phone in the first place instead of playing this shell game with the money.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score

No they slowly give you back the full amount over 24 months, of which that balance is sitting on whatever card you used to pay for the phone initially.

So to say this makes it more affordable is garbage as you still have to incur a charge on your credit card which would take away from the available credit on your card.

So lets say if you need credit to replace that water pump or transmission on your car should it go belly up during that 24 months you wold have up to $792 that would not be available to your credit to repair your car with.
You're not understanding how device payment works. You are never actually charged the '$792' for the phone. The carrier is giving you an interest free loan for the amount of the phone,and adding the $33/month to your bill to repay it. In the free phone offer, you will receive a monthly credit beginning on month 3 which continues through month 24 of the amount. The month 3 credit will be larger than the credits on months 4-24, because it will include months 1, 2, and 3. This is all of course dependant on your account being in good standing. Should you pay off the phone early, for whatever reason, the credits stop.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

So lets say if you need credit to replace that water pump or transmission on your car should it go belly up during that 24 months you wold have up to $792 that would not be available to your credit to repair your car with..... unless your pay your card off right away which in that case you might as well purchase the phone in the first place instead of playing this shell game with the money.
You don't pay the full amount up front as in your illustration so your example isn't correct.
You sign a promissory note and get a monthly discount in the form of a credit. You can't use that note for anything other than pay off that phone vs your example of line of credit. Your example world be like because you bought your house for x amount you can't put gas in it from that same account.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
And thus the shell game continues, I read what the ad says and interpret it one way, you read the ad and interpret it in another way, the verizon rep reads it as it is spelled out as he is supposed to bill it o_O

Stop the shenanigans just offer a free phone up front with no mumbo jumbo!

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
You're not understanding how device payment works. You are never actually charged the '$792' for the phone. The carrier is giving you an interest free loan for the amount of the phone,and adding the $33/month to your bill to repay it. In the free phone offer, you will receive a monthly credit beginning on month 3 which continues through month 24 of the amount. The month 3 credit will be larger than the credits on months 4-24, because it will include months 1, 2, and 3. This is all of course dependant on your account being in good standing. Should you pay off the phone early, for whatever reason, the credits stop.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If it is free then why do you need a loan?

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
I have to chime in here, to me free is free. I think Webster, Noah and the OED would agree. Free with an incurring charge is a discount, i.e."buy 3 get one 'free'", it is a shameless ways to say 25% off. BOGO is a clever way to say 50% off. Free with stipulations is not free. Free lunch on inventory day is not free, it cost you a day off, even if you got paid for it. A free phone with a 2 year contract in of itself is not free. Basically in this world the only thing that is free is the air we breathe. Just my rant.

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
And thus the shell game continues, I read what the ad says and interpret it one way, you read the ad and interpret it in another way, the verizon rep reads it as it is spelled out as he is supposed to bill it o_O

Stop the shenanigans just offer a free phone up front with no mumbo jumbo!
I'd prefer it simpler too, if I had my choice, Devin..

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Basically, it's like lloydstrans says; nothing is free. Usually it comes with strings attached. In this case it's sticking with Verizon until the phone is paid/credited off. I don't think Verizon or any carrier is going to give you a $500-700 phone for free, no strings attached. They're giving it to you in exchange for at least two years of your business. If not, you could get the phone, then activate it with another carrier.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Seems as though Verizon is just trying to lure in more customers into their stores with their gimmicky marketing tricks
Verizon’s unlimited advertising is confusing everyone

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Verizon can't even shoot straight when they email their customers. They know your particulate circumstances and they interject their fuzzy math BS. Why can't they just say "Good afternoon Mr. XXXXX, we would like to offer for your consideration our new plan. You are currently paying $xxx.xx and under our new plan it would only be $xxx.xx". No, that would be so easy. I just shoot off a simple reply, "Show me how it is going to save me money". I get the obligatory computer generated response, then nothing, ever. A couple times I have barraged their system multiple times.

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Verizon can't even shoot straight when they email their customers. They know your particulate circumstances and they interject their fuzzy math BS. Why can't they just say "Good afternoon Mr. XXXXX, we would like to offer for your consideration our new plan. You are currently paying $xxx.xx and under our new plan it would only be $xxx.xx". No, that would be so easy. I just shoot off a simple reply, "Show me how it is going to save me money". I get the obligatory computer generated response, then nothing, ever. A couple times I have barraged their system multiple times.
Yeah me too!