Fragile Screen?

Dweib

Reaction score
Again depends on your job and your life style. The pocket thing isn't practical in my work situation. Most folks carry their phones on the belt from IT to M.E. to maintenance to the operators on the floor. Even our CEO has his blackberry right on his belt. I think that looks cool and professional. But who cares really anyway?

Yes a bit o.t. for Christmas morning. We can move this conversation to the o.t. threads or drop it altogether.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Natey2

Reaction score
Today, there did not seem to be any trauma, I think it was just pressure. I got up, heard a sound in my pocket, then looked at the phone, and it was cracked and unusable.

Though very unlikely, if the phone physically breaks and causes an internal short-circuit of some kind, you could get burned.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk

Natey2

Reaction score
I am not sure if is a younger generation thing or what but I catch crap all the time for wearing my phone on my side. My 12 year old niece laughs at me every time she sees me with my phone on my hip. I always tell her to show me her beat up I phone and then I show her my phone without a scratch on it. I have been very lucky over the years, I have never broke a phone yet.

It's like the Pocket Protector :)
I believe some people (Engineering types?) still use them.

Nobody takes real good care of phones anymore, given the rate at which new and better phones are hitting the market.

Keeping the phone further away from the body is safer (controversial topic) from a radiation standpoint.
Enclosing a phone (pocket, purse, etc) makes the phone work harder (more power usage) to send/receive, so battery life should be slightly better if you keep the phone outside.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk

Dweib

Reaction score
But back on topic how do you practically carry a phone as large as a razr at the gym for your workout? I see news people and stage performers wearing a cordless mic transmitter right above their rear. Looks like it's attached pretty good. Rig up something like that? Or in an arm band that way you can listen to your music with earbuds while you workout. Seems a better deal than in your shorts.

dsprik

Reaction score
Hope this is close to on topic, but is anyone using screen protectors over this Gorilla Glass? Don't recall seeing any posts on this and I thought this was standard procedure out of the box now-a-days? I would think that any screen protector in a laminated situation would add extra strength?

On edit~ Used to carry on the hip. Got away from that about 2 yrs ago. Thinking of going back to a case on the belt again now... May this is a cyclical fashion trend???

SallyC

Reaction score
Hope this is close to on topic, but is anyone using screen protectors over this Gorilla Glass? Don't recall seeing any posts on this and I thought this was standard procedure out of the box now-a-days? I would think that any screen protector in a laminated situation would add extra strength?

I use Steinheil's Ultra Fine and really love it. It's anti-glare and fingerprint - two things that I really appreciate even if it didn't protect from sand and grit scratches. It was very easy to put on, although they give you two in the package so if you did mess up you've got another chance. Prior to using it, I was always wiping smudges off my screen and I didn't realize how much difference the anti-glare would make either.

Bkimble

Reaction score
Back to the fragile screen

I thought I would share my own story, and maybe get us back on the subject.

I had the Razr for almost a week before it broke under the same circumstances as the person who originated this thread. The phone was in my pocket, I bent over and it broke. It is important to mention that the glass did not break (or scratch for that matter). The problem I had is that the LCD screen is permanently joined to the glass and it was the LCD screen that cracked ($159 fix). I also work in construction and purchased this phone because it was billed as "Built to take a beating" and "almost nothing brings this juggernaught down", and was sadly disappointed when the simple act of bending over made my phone a paper weight.

My opinion: the phone is too thin, which makes it susceptible to flexure causing the screen to break. When you also consider that one side of the phone is thicker than the other, rather than allowing the phone to sit completely flat, it's easy to see how this could be a problem.

So it may not scratch, it might stop a bullet, but if you (heaven forbid!) put it in your pocket and bend over, don't be surprised if you have to replace it...

Maybe Verizon should offer a phone + hip holster promotion, or at least a disclaimer.

dsprik

Reaction score
So what you are saying is that reinforcing the gorilla glass with a screen protector would not help prevent this type of damage because the glass is not the problem... it's the LCD screen under the glass.

Deron

Reaction score
Young people today are influenced by too much MTV b.s. or

Just FYI, MTV is not relevant these days. The MTV cliche may have worked 20 years ago, but not today. :D

And wearing it on a belt clip is something that almost nobody notices. Go for it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score

On edit~ Used to carry on the hip. Got away from that about 2 yrs ago. Thinking of going back to a case on the belt again now... May this is a cyclical fashion trend???

Nope. It has never been cool, and I don't foresee it ever being cool. But again, to each their own.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
I thought I would share my own story, and maybe get us back on the subject.

I had the Razr for almost a week before it broke under the same circumstances as the person who originated this thread. The phone was in my pocket, I bent over and it broke. It is important to mention that the glass did not break (or scratch for that matter). The problem I had is that the LCD screen is permanently joined to the glass and it was the LCD screen that cracked ($159 fix). I also work in construction and purchased this phone because it was billed as "Built to take a beating" and "almost nothing brings this juggernaught down", and was sadly disappointed when the simple act of bending over made my phone a paper weight.

My opinion: the phone is too thin, which makes it susceptible to flexure causing the screen to break. When you also consider that one side of the phone is thicker than the other, rather than allowing the phone to sit completely flat, it's easy to see how this could be a problem.

So it may not scratch, it might stop a bullet, but if you (heaven forbid!) put it in your pocket and bend over, don't be surprised if you have to replace it...

Maybe Verizon should offer a phone + hip holster promotion, or at least a disclaimer.

My phone has been in my pocket everyday since Nov. 11th, with many a bending over, never once did it crack. And I have a thread on here about how I had the phone in my hunting coat's cell phone pocket, bent over to tie my hunting boots and bounced the phone off the asphalt. A little crease in the upper left corner where it hit the asphalt, but nary a scratch more than that.

Maybe your theory about flexing is a good one. I don't know, all I know is that this is the best phone I've ever had the pleasure of using.

garywojdan81

Reaction score
Nope. It has never been cool, and I don't foresee it ever being cool. But again, to each their own.

Fashion aside, it's cooler than spending the claim amount for a replacement. Or is needless expense how "cool" is defined today?

Captmilk

Reaction score
It's an age old equation..... phone+hip/clip=2stupid.......This is an Einstein equation.

Captmilk

Reaction score
Why is that stupid? So was/is white socks. Even in my day. But I ignored that b.s. and have worn them for over 40 years+. Yeah I agree with dress slacks and for office attire, no. But for a blue collar jeans wearer and military vet they suit me just fine.

I use to wear the clip too until my wife banned me from it. To get her back I have a "Holiday mustache" she can decide what's more stupid....lol