Former ALLTEL Customers will NEVER get GPS until they change to a VERIZON phone #

crankygypsy

Reaction score
i just called my business rep
without changing my phone number, he's going to see how the verizon tower "SEES" my ex-alltel phone
he'll try to switch it to verizon, keeping the same number
i'll let you know what happens
i doubt it'll happen today

will you have to drop your "Alltel plan" for a "Verizon plan" if you still have it?

marmst

Reaction score
all the info in this thread is incorrect. You are fine with an old alltel number and even plan. I pay 89.99 a month for unlimited everything and 11 my circle numbers. Never even mentioned anything about a number change.

Newton122189

Reaction score
there's lots of reports online of people having trouble porting Alltel numbers to Verizon. In some cases it may be due to Verizon having to agree to divest itself of Alltel assets in some markets which might include the phone numbers themselves. I read some stuff about how if you had ported your number to another service earlier you could have kept it but it all seems very confused and people complain about not being able to get a straight, consistent answer.

yeah....
i wish i could get the same answer twice, as well
the main thing....
i'm not giving up my number
i cannot
it's ridiculous to assume anyone would
if it's true....
and the words gets out to the community.... there will be some uproar and i'm sure it'll be rectified if enough folks complain
time will tell

seriously??? an uproar??? you have to be joking, when you get your new number just send out a text message to everyones cellphone that says... this is Mr. Blah blah blah, my phone number was previously 123 456 7890 and it has now changed to this number, it'll take you a few minutes and then omg, problem solved

my mom had her number for 11 years and then switched it when we came to verizon a few years back, it was totally fine, the sun rose the next day and the world continued to function

OP
spalding12

spalding12

Reaction score
all the info in this thread is incorrect. You are fine with an old alltel number and even plan. I pay 89.99 a month for unlimited everything and 11 my circle numbers. Never even mentioned anything about a number change.

then...
why do all my verizon friends who have a droid have perfectly operational gps....
and all my ex-alltel-owning droid friends have NO GPS WORKING at this time?

huh?

OP
spalding12

spalding12

Reaction score
seriously??? an uproar??? you have to be joking, when you get your new number just send out a text message to everyones cellphone that says... this is Mr. Blah blah blah, my phone number was previously 123 456 7890 and it has now changed to this number, it'll take you a few minutes and then omg, problem solved

my mom had her number for 11 years and then switched it when we came to verizon a few years back, it was totally fine, the sun rose the next day and the world continued to function

LOL
my favorite comment of the day....
actually
it won't be that easy for me
i am a physician....
i don't have contact info for everyone who knows my number
of course..... i guess if this HAS to happen....
which would be against the anti-trust legislation of several years ago which made it LAW.... that anyone can take his/her number ANYWHERE.... forever....

then..... verizon will have to give me a RECORDED MESSAGE for 3 months, etc... that tells folks about my new number, then automatically transfers them for some period of time, as well

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I read another lengthy thread about this on either andoridforums.com or motorola.com. The majority of people talking about GPS issues were all in Florida and prior Alltell customers. Several of them switched their numbers over and PRESTO their GPS worked just fine.

I'm not saying that what you were told is 100% accurate, but if you hunt around you'll see that it's been confirmed in other threads that this in fact does work.

It could be that the aGPS system (which relies on VZWs towers) looks for what is considered a "valid" VZW phone number before it allows the aGPS system to connect to the phone. I think there is a way to disable the aGPS and use only the true Satellite GPS but my Droid is charging on a different floor, so I can't look right now. aGPS SHOULD only be needed where a satellite lock cannot be achieved.

Erich_F

Reaction score
It could be that the aGPS system (which relies on VZWs towers) looks for what is considered a "valid" VZW phone number before it allows the aGPS system to connect to the phone. I think there is a way to disable the aGPS and use only the true Satellite GPS but my Droid is charging on a different floor, so I can't look right now. aGPS SHOULD only be needed where a satellite lock cannot be achieved.

You know what, just as a preventive measure, I am going to permanently disable "Use Wireless Networks" locating. I think this system could be a commonality of all the failures we've seen.

Erich

crankygypsy

Reaction score
I came over in the Alltel merge, I have a Motorola Droid, my GPS has always worked perfectly. There goes your theory. Sounds like it's just a Florida issue.

i suppose a congratulations is in order for you then? i applaud your phone savvy.

we've pretty much established this is an Alltel/Florida problem. there are people who can't get GPS to work at their house in Tampa, drive out of the area and get good GPS service, then return to Tampa with no ability to lock onto a satellite.

my apologies, but i feel like we are repeating ourselves. unless you are an Alltel AND Florida native, telling us that your GPS works like it is supposed to is not helping to solve our problem and just weeds the thread.

Erich_F

Reaction score
Agreed. Maybe there's something going on in the RF spectrum in the vicinity of MacDill AFB, where CentCom and USSOCOM are based? It's possible that GPS is slightly degraded here to prevent use of cell-phone locating devices on base, yet not strong enough to still allow more sensitive automotive and aircraft GPS accuracy.

OP
spalding12

spalding12

Reaction score
one more odd thing
i have a MiFi 2200, as well

no matter where i am.....
using my iPod Touch (NOT AN iPhone.... it has NO native gps capabilities)
when it connects via WiFi to the MiFi 2200.... i get google maps to bring me to within 50 meters of my current location

all using cell towers
no satellites involved
when i use my droid at the same time....
it never can utilize satellites and its accuracy using THE VERY SAME CELL TOWERS THAT THE MiFi 2200 does...... is 0.4 - 3.0 miles
NO FREAKIN' KIDDING

so.....
what say you about THAT?

OP
spalding12

spalding12

Reaction score
Agreed. Maybe there's something going on in the RF spectrum in the vicinity of MacDill AFB, where CentCom and USSOCOM are based? It's possible that GPS is slightly degraded here to prevent use of cell-phone locating devices on base, yet not strong enough to still allow more sensitive automotive and aircraft GPS accuracy.

i have 10 other GPS units that work fine
and i am 25 miles from MacDill at my house
NOT an issue, i promise

OP
spalding12

spalding12

Reaction score
something weird happened this evening:

post #187
Apparent GPS Failure

this is all so weird
and... ridiculous
verizon HAS to know what is going on
the FIX canNOT be that difficult
because it really only applies (mostly) to ex-alltel customers on the west coast of florida... maybe they just don't care that much

as i've said before..... IF THIS WERE HAPPENING IN NYC.... IT WOULD HAVE ALREADY BEEN FIXED....
I'M 100% SURE