Formatting the sd card?

mjs31

Reaction score
Ok, if I wanted to start fresh and do a factory reset, would there be any issue with also formatting the card? I cannot remember what came loaded on the card when I first got it.

Since I have had it from day one, I would like to start fresh and just load what I know I want everywhere and then root from there.

Thoughts?

CDB

Reaction score
The only issue with formatting your card is that you'll loose whatever data a particular app might have been saving for you, unless you backed it up to your PC. Past that, I can tell you with 100% certainty that you can delete everything under /sdcard with no ill effects. The phone will re-make whatever folders/files it needs to after you do a hard-reset.

I hard-reset and format the sdcard on a regular basis. I install so many apps just to play around, that uninstalling the ones I don't want still seem to leave 'traces' of the removed program behind. A hard-reset puts me back to sqaure 1 - fresh and clean.

OP
mjs31

mjs31

Reaction score
The only issue with formatting your card is that you'll loose whatever data a particular app might have been saving for you, unless you backed it up to your PC. Past that, I can tell you with 100% certainty that you can delete everything under /sdcard with no ill effects. The phone will re-make whatever folders/files it needs to after you do a hard-reset.

I hard-reset and format the sdcard on a regular basis. I install so many apps just to play around, that uninstalling the ones I don't want still seem to leave 'traces' of the removed program behind. A hard-reset puts me back to sqaure 1 - fresh and clean.

Thats what I figured, but wanted to make sure. I did format my phone to clear the crap out, but haven't done the card yet. Thanks for the info.

unix.punkx

Silver Member
Reaction score
The only thing I first remember seeing on the SD Card was the folders that were set up for the Droid's camera