Droid Incredible - SD card & phone storage

DroidZero

Reaction score
Hey guys. I just got my first android phone (Droid Incredible) a couple weeks ago and so far I love it. Im trying to reformat and reset to factory default settings to start fresh. Theres just 3 things that Im still confused about, and they all have to do with the "SD card & phone storage" setting.

1. SD card - I understand that this displays the space on the SD card, but why is it that I am unable to format it? The option to format SD card is not selectable. And note that the unmount option is still selectable.

2. Internal phone storage - Whats being stored here? And if I format it, will it delete EVERYTHING? Meaning will it even delete the default apps and widgets the phone originally came with (like facebook, maps, weather, etc.)?

3. Phone memory - Whats being stored here? Is there any way to access/format it? Or is this where is OS is kept so theres no need to worry about it?

Thanks in advance!

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
To format your SD card you have to unmount it first, then the format option should become available, internal memory is where your downloaded apps are stored, factory installed apps are not accessible without root access, and I believe phone memory and internal memory for the stock user are the same thing

OP
D

DroidZero

Reaction score
I see. So even if I format the internal phone storage, I will still have all the factory installed apps because they are stored in the phone memory, correct?