FM TRANSMITTER need help !!!!

loop4zil

Reaction score
What I ideally am looking for is an accessorie that I could use with my MOTOROLA DROID to listen to my music that I have on my phone and my phone calls ............while using my cars speaker systems !!! I have all my itunes songs on my phone and would like to just carry one device and would like to utitilze my DROID.

Any suggestions ????

FM transmitters for the most part suck. Your sound quality is only as good as the transmitter you choose and the FM receiver in your radio. Wired FM modulators are much better, but again you are limited in sound quality to those parts. I recommend an auxiliary input for your radio which will give you the absolute best sound quality possible. If you list your make/model/year vehicle, I can check to see what is available for it.

Totally agree. I wasted plenty of money on FM transmitters...one i took the plunge and got a wired fm modulator (have an older car) I was much happier...

srothkin

Reaction score
FM transmitters for the most part suck. Your sound quality is only as good as the transmitter you choose and the FM receiver in your radio. Wired FM modulators are much better, but again you are limited in sound quality to those parts. I recommend an auxiliary input for your radio which will give you the absolute best sound quality possible.

However, when traveling and renting a car, an FM transmitter may be the only fallback for if the car doesn't come with an aux input or a radio that supports stereo bluetooth.

choklitcow

Reaction score
Yes. However as mentioned, if you are looking for the best quality there are better alternatives. FM transmitter can just be one of the cheaper methods.

A few methods:

Cassette tape adapter
Deck with a 3.5 jack
Deck with usb
Deck accepts bluetooth
FM Transmitter
Wired modulator
..probably more.

choklitcow

Reaction score
This is what I use. I love it. it is pretty universal but workes perfectly for the DROID. It charges your phone ad transmits music and phone calls to your car speakers through the power outlet/cigarette lighter.

FM Transmitter Hands Free Car Kit for Motorola Droid - eBay (item 290382075919 end time Feb-13-10 21:44:22 PST)

I finally got to put in some significant use on this product, so I returned to give my opinion.

When it comes to sound quality/power of the transmitter I was pleasantly surprised. Pandora in high quality mode sounded clear even on channels that ended up picking up reception (wouldn't know they suddenly picked up a channel until the unit fell out, more on that soon). Its seemed to vary significantly based on my cell's reception in the area, however, which I am ignorant as to the reasoning behind this.

It's construction, however, is less than satisfactory. The rubber O ring, which is placed around the base of the unit to secure it within your cigarette lighter is quite weak, and my cigarette lighter ate it for breakfast in combination with the weight of the droid. Needless to say, in only two days of using the unit, this ring broke off. The unit cannot stand on its own without being secured, and barely stood up when the ring was functioning.

I would not recommend purchasing this unless you have a way of securing the mount to your dash in some way as the unit will not stand on its own (at least for long). However, the transmitter in the unit is top notch.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Fortunately they both suck, but I will give a review of my cheap-o transmitter when I get it. Was shipped today.
Price doesn't mean anything. I had a cheap Scosche FM transmitter that was one of the best I've ever used. I've also tried expensive FM transmitters that were terrible.

That said, FM transmitters really should be left as a last resort.

can u play "pandora" with fm transmitter?
Anything that gets output via the headset jack will play.

Cassette tape adapter
Deck with a 3.5 jack
Deck with usb
Deck accepts bluetooth
FM Transmitter
Wired modulator
..probably more.
You can add a line-in for many makes and models of cars. I can't think of any specific brands off the top of my head.

Last edited: