Fm radio for razr

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Well I saw you posed the same question on XDA and someone mentioned the hardware is there, but it's not activated. I believe it's a kernel change that would enable it but with a locked bootloader that can't happen (yet). Should be interesting to see if it does materialize. The app is here and it does install and run.

http://www.appbrain.com/app/fm-radio/com.motorola.fmradio

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 with Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.

Last edited:

fekish

Reaction score
Well I saw you posed the same question on XDA and someone mentioned the hardware is there, but it's not activated. I believe it's a kernel change that would enable it but with a locked bootloader that can't happen (yet). Should be interesting to see if it does materialize. The app is here and it does install and run.

http://www.appbrain.com/app/fm-radio/com.motorola.fmradio

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 with Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.

Haha, i can see you are everywhere! Didnt go there to check what is going on :)

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

fekish

Reaction score
I dont trust so much Motorola for changes on the mobiles. With my original milestone i had so many problems even for just dialling a number that i had to search for custom roms. Thus i dont think they will open the bootloader anytime soon!

I was so excited on getting the razr, that i forgot to check the radio detail! Arghhhhh!

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

fekish

Reaction score
just to let you know guys I just received my razr, however I am thinking of sending it back and buying something else. The wifi issue is a huge thing and a huge problem that Motorola are not addressing...
I didn't read about it unfortunately before I bought the phone...
Even if I want to listen to radio with tune in the phone would stop the streaming continuously due to its poor wifi capabilities.

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
just to let you know guys I just received my razr, however I am thinking of sending it back and buying something else. The wifi issue is a huge thing and a huge problem that Motorola are not addressing...
Even if I want to listen to radio with tune in the phone would stop the streaming continuously due to its poor wifi capabilities.

The problem is likely not the phone, but the router. Try upgrading the firmware, or turning off "B", but if it's more than a couple years old, replacing it will resolve all issues.

rosso

Reaction score
fekish said:

haven't had any wifi issues had razr maxx for a month plus...what are ylu refering too?

Ross

Sent from my RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums

xmguy

Reaction score
Wow, FM radio on the phone really matters that much? I'm not passing judgment, just trying to understand the reasoning behind such a "deal killer" for you. Almost ALL local FM radio stations now broadcast in HQ over the internet and you can listen even where FM reception is bad. The ONLY reason you might need a true FM receiver is in the instance of a short range broadcast such as in a local Gym or at a Open House (Realtors use them), or other similar instance.

Have you even taken a look at TuneIn? It has a "Local Stations" link which populates all the radio stations in your geographical area automatically. You can then "favorite" the ones you listen to most and they become one-touches.

The Razr MIGHT support TRUE FM Radio later with ICS. I'm trying to help an app devoloper that has an app called Spirit FM. It's very slow going nothing now. But if anyone can do it he can. Just search on Google "XDA Spirit FM Forum". You should find it. Right now there are more errors than going well. If you can find it still the Bionic supports REAL FM Radio apps. I have it too along with my Razr. I use it for the smaller stations that TuneIn and iHeartRadio do not have.

dleonard19380

Reaction score
Does FM Radio Really Matter

Wow, FM radio on the phone really matters that much? I'm not passing judgment, just trying to understand the reasoning behind such a "deal killer" for you. Almost ALL local FM radio stations now broadcast in HQ over the internet and you can listen even where FM reception is bad. The ONLY reason you might need a true FM receiver is in the instance of a short range broadcast such as in a local Gym or at a Open House (Realtors use them), or other similar instance.

Have you even taken a look at TuneIn? It has a "Local Stations" link which populates all the radio stations in your geographical area automatically. You can then "favorite" the ones you listen to most and they become one-touches.

It's not a showstopper for me, but, you can't get live baseball game broadcasts on Internet streaming - the radio stations make a deal with MLB to not allow that, so that MLB can charge you for it through their website. The only way to listen to the game is via an actual radio transmission (AM or FM), or pay through the MLB site.