Fm radio on cm7?

Cheepjeep

Reaction score
Does anybody have the fm radio working with cm7? And if so how would I find the apk.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

OP
C

Cheepjeep

Reaction score
Anybody?? Hello is this thing on hello

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

whatsinaname

Reaction score
from what I understand, try using "spirit fm" from the app store. I haven't had luck, but others have. I may try it again. FM Radio was about the only thing I missed from blur.

d4dEf@c@

Reaction score
I am pretty sure I have read that the FM radio is Blur based. Therefore it won't work in a ROM that is not blur based, such as CM7. You can probably get it to work on Liberty 3.0

mikereidis

Reaction score
from what I understand, try using "spirit fm" from the app store. I haven't had luck, but others have. I may try it again. FM Radio was about the only thing I missed from blur.

Yes, try the latest version and let me know the problems. Send me the logs with Menu -> Help -> EM Logs and be sure to identify your phone model and username here in the email text or subject.

The main issue is some phones have really bad signal strength, but strangely some seem OK. My theory is that there is a software antenna switch, but I don't know where yet.

The MIUI ROM for Droid X has a working FM app now. It uses a bunch of Motorola libraries and binaries. My app works OK on this ROM when run while the MIUI app is run, but otherwise can receive very little.

----
One funny thing with the Droid X. It's the most popular identified phone with an "active install" of my free app now. It's 5.1% (1,287).

Yet, it doesn't even register in the top 10 for the paid app. This ranges from 13.1% (34) for HTC Desire to 3.1% (8) for LG Optimus 2X.

So do Droid X users tend towards "thrifty" or are these bad reception issues widespread enough that free apps aren't getting unlocked ? :)

whatsinaname

Reaction score
mikereidis, thanks for responding. I had reinstalled Spirit, but when choosing motorola, or motorola2, I only got large bursts of static. I am running CM7 with gingerbread kernel, and its on a droid X (I ended up in the droid 2 forum just because searching for fm solutions brought me here :) )
I had already uninstalled it, but this weekend I will reinstall and send you the logs.

mikereidis

Reaction score
mikereidis, thanks for responding. I had reinstalled Spirit, but when choosing motorola, or motorola2, I only got large bursts of static. I am running CM7 with gingerbread kernel, and its on a droid X (I ended up in the droid 2 forum just because searching for fm solutions brought me here :) )
I had already uninstalled it, but this weekend I will reinstall and send you the logs.

Thanks. That's exactly what others have reported. And yet strangely, one of the biggest fans of my app had a Droid X with CM and he seemed to have no problem, and a few have also reported this...

Last edited:

sickopsycho

Reaction score
great app, Mike!

I also missed my FM radio after I switched to cm7 nightlies. I just installed spirit and it works wonderfully! All I did was set the Motorola option and it picks up all stations in Wilmington, nc crystal clear. I am using a Motorola droidx with the latest nightly of cyanogenmod. I just wanted to commend you on a job well done! Thank you!

mikereidis

Reaction score
I also missed my FM radio after I switched to cm7 nightlies. I just installed spirit and it works wonderfully! All I did was set the Motorola option and it picks up all stations in Wilmington, nc crystal clear. I am using a Motorola droidx with the latest nightly of cyanogenmod. I just wanted to commend you on a job well done! Thank you!

Great ! Please let me know if it ever stops working, or signals get really low (assuming headset/antenna is plugged in.)

I wish we knew why some Droid X's work fine but others don't !

If more Droid X users would buy my unlocker, I might have enough to purchase one used and determine the problem. With "bad luck" though, I might get one that works...

Last edited:

sickopsycho

Reaction score
Great ! Please let me know if it ever stops working, or signals get really low (assuming headset/antenna is plugged in.)

I wish we knew why some Droid X's work fine but others don't !

If more Droid X users would buy my unlocker, I might have enough to purchase one used and determine the problem. With "bad luck" though, I might get one that works...

Lol. Well actually I have one that I'm not using... I replaced it because it got wet but it still boots to the bootloader. I haven't reloaded android on it yet but since it boots I would imagine it works. Perhaps instead of purchasing an unlock key I could send you this phone? Let me know... =)

havens1515

Reaction score
Lol. Well actually I have one that I'm not using... I replaced it because it got wet but it still boots to the bootloader. I haven't reloaded android on it yet but since it boots I would imagine it works. Perhaps instead of purchasing an unlock key I could send you this phone? Let me know... =)

Try putting the phone over the vent on a dehumidifier to dry it out. One of the guys at work did it with his phone, and after leaving it there a couple days it started working again. It wasn't a smart phone of any kind, but it may dry out your X enough to get it past the bootloader again.

mikereidis

Reaction score

Hmm, I haven't asked this anywhere because I'm a pessimist and think of all that could go wrong in shipping, LOL. But I'd REALLY like to get to the bottom of this, so I'll say yes, thank you very much.

Can you email me at mikereidis{at}gmail.com and we can discuss further ?

On my thread at xda-developers - View Single Post - [APP] Spirit (real) FM Radio: Broadcom, Texas Instruments, Silicon Labs, V4L someone indicated they thought you were using a "Froyo based CM7". Are there different CM ports for Droid X ? With official CM's at least, Froyo is CM6 and GB is CM7.

If so could be due to different TI "BTS" files. It would be GREAT to have such a simple answer and solution.

If this is some hardware specific issue, and you got both devices around the same time from the same source, then I think they would both work OK, and I wouldn't have a good chance to solve the problem.

d4dEf@c@

Reaction score
Try putting the phone over the vent on a dehumidifier to dry it out. One of the guys at work did it with his phone, and after leaving it there a couple days it started working again. It wasn't a smart phone of any kind, but it may dry out your X enough to get it past the bootloader again.

or a bag of Silica gel pellets (or rice). I kinda rescued a phone I dropped in a cup of coffer that way. The Android system actually still works fine, it fried something on the hard keys of that phone and the stopped working right.

sickopsycho

Reaction score
Hmm, I haven't asked this anywhere because I'm a pessimist and think of all that could go wrong in shipping, LOL. But I'd REALLY like to get to the bottom of this, so I'll say yes, thank you very much.

Can you email me at mikereidis{at}gmail.com and we can discuss further ?

On my thread at xda-developers - View Single Post - [APP] Spirit (real) FM Radio: Broadcom, Texas Instruments, Silicon Labs, V4L someone indicated they thought you were using a "Froyo based CM7". Are there different CM ports for Droid X ? With official CM's at least, Froyo is CM6 and GB is CM7.

If so could be due to different TI "BTS" files. It would be GREAT to have such a simple answer and solution.

If this is some hardware specific issue, and you got both devices around the same time from the same source, then I think they would both work OK, and I wouldn't have a good chance to solve the problem.

Mike- ill email you tomorrow and we can work out the details. Regarding your post, though, I never got an incompatibility error in the market foryour app. Also I do not know if cm7 for the droids is a froyo or gb port. I do know this, though... due to the locked bootloader of the Motorola droidx- you must be on a stock FROYO rom in order to flash cm7. If you are on stock gb you have to sbf flash back to froyo (Becquerel of different bootloaders or kernels- which can not be flashed seperately). Hope that info helps.