First mess up after an update

Discussion in 'Pixel 2 and Pixel 2XL' started by radon222, Jul 10, 2018.

1. radon222

radon222 Platinum Member

Ratings:
    +739
    My phone took the July security update yesterday afternoon and I didn't realize it until right before heading out to dinner with my motorcycle club. Since I needed my phone for navigation, I skipped the "Restart now to complete..." figuring I'd wait and reboot the phone when I got home later in the evening.

The phone was fine all through dinner. But when I went to leave, I put the phone in the handlebar cradle, connected to my BT helmet headset and started to call my wife to let her know I was on the way home. The call didn't go through, and when I looked down at the phone, it was going thru a continual boot sequence.

Finally got that stopped only to get a "com.android.phone has stopped" error and automatic reboot to a recovery screen where my only options were 1) try again and 2) Factory data reset. Not much trouble shooting was going to happen while actively trying to ride a motorcycle.

When I got home, I was finally able to get into full recovery, but it didn't much good and in the end I was faced with an FDR and subsequent restore from Google Cloud backup.

2. Sajo

Sajo Diamond Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +10,862
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Z2 Force
    Well that's a bummer. I guess Google really means it when they prompt for "Restart now to complete...".

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. me just sayin

me just sayin Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +4,697
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 8
    not good. at least we know know what could happen if updates are not finished in one go.

4. kmf1

kmf1 Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +1,820
    Current Phone Model:
    Motorola Z Force Droid Verizon
    As a brand new Pixel 2 XL owner, I will be careful with any future updates. What a bummer for the hassle of an FDR, but at least it got resolved.