First(initial) charge best practices?

dsimmelink

Reaction score
Hello,
Just got my D3, plugged it into the wall and it is currently charging. Well I am chomping at the bit and am not sure if I should power it on yet or wait for it to finish charging? Further, how do I know WHEN it is finished charging? Right now I just see the Motorola logo and "Dual Core Technology" below it. When it is ready will it say charged or what?

Also... right now I am watching it and I keep seeing the screen go black for a second and then the Moto logo Dual Core... shows up again. That's not the reboot problem is it??? I haven't actually hit the power button to turn it on yet. Just plugged it into the wall to charge.

Anybody who knows what's up please PLEASE chime in thanks! (FYI the screen has blacked out and back to Moto logo like 4 or 5 times while writing this message)

Thanks!

Reaction score
Well idk about that one friend but if you just got it like as we speak from what I've read just run the battery down from start charge to 100% without any intense actions and you should be good. Also charging it once you get it virtually does nothing cause the li-ion battery has no correct battery reading. Hope this helps also if you just got the D3 but not new to the droid scene its best to manually load all your Apps back instead of automatically

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Sparkimus

Reaction score
Well idk about that one friend but if you just got it like as we speak from what I've read just run the battery down from start charge to 100% without any intense actions and you should be good. Also charging it once you get it virtually does nothing cause the li-ion battery has no correct battery reading. Hope this helps also if you just got the D3 but not new to the droid scene its best to manually load all your Apps back instead of automatically

Actually, you should charge it completely (as in a few hours, even a while after it says 100%) before you turn it on. It says so in the user manual.

OP
D

dsimmelink

Reaction score

Actually, you should charge it completely (as in a few hours, even a while after it says 100%) before you turn it on. It says so in the user manual.

Thanks for the replies. So is there going to be a notification or something when the phone is fully charged? There is no % charge meter as the phone is currently turned off. All I see now is the Moto logo which keeps blacking out and coming back every couple minutes or so.. is that normal??

imnotmikal

Reaction score
That doesn't sound normal.

When my phone is off, and then I plug it up, it shows the Moto logo, then it goes to a screen with a battery, and it shows the percentage.

neilrl79

Reaction score
Go ahead and turn it on. It's not going to hurt anything. It seems to me that it is more important to let it die all the way till it shuts off then charge it fully.

The_Rick_14

Reaction score
The manual recommends a minimum of 3 hours charging in the off state. This is likely to ensure the battery picks up the upper threshold of the battery whereas draining it fully calibrates the lower threshold. That's my belief at least.

As far as knowing the charge level, while its off you should be able to tap the power button (not hold it) and it should show a battery icon and tell you the charge level.

OP
D

dsimmelink

Reaction score
Thanks for the info/details everybody. It turns out there WAS a problem when I plugged in my phone for the initial charging. Like I mentioned, it never showed the battery icon with %. Instead, it just showed the Moto logo, and I believe was continually rebooting as the screen would go black and moto icon would show up again, rinse and repeat.

I ended up unplugging the phone, turning it on, saw that it was indeed working, turned it back off, plugged it in again, and THIS TIME it shows the battery icon with %. 70% to be specific. I left it, went back to work, and am going to run home and check on it on my next break.

Not sure exactly what caused this to happen. It sure doesn't make me feel good.. but I am just going to try and relax, assume there will not be any more strange occurances/problems, and continue on with my awesome Android experience.

Thanks again!!