Phone is Dead?! (Black Screen, Unresponsive to ANYTHING I do.)

ASidewalkSymphony

Reaction score
Okay, so I wasn't doing anything out of the normal, just checking Facebook like usual when the screen froze and the Home/back/search/options buttons wouldn't respond. I thought it was no big; it happens from time to time, and I usually just pull out the battery and restart the phone and it's fine again. But, I just as I about to pull off the back cover, the phone went black. And I took out the battery, put it back in, and held down the power to turn it back on. And held it, and held it, and held it. Nothing happened. At first, I thought maybe the battery wasn't charged enough, (which I was pretty sure couldn't be it, cause I had JUST taken it off the charger and it was at full battery) so I plugged it into my charger. And again, nothing. None of the usual "charging" screens (Dual Core then the battery filling up green), just black screen.

I've tried almost everything. I tried a factory reset (hold the power and X buttons), I tried a hard reset (take out the battery for 15 seconds, replace, then hold the power button for 15 seconds), and some other reset (hold down power and volume down buttons) and NONE of it has worked. :/

So, is my phone completely dead, or is it some weird thing that Droids do that I haven't heard of?

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
if you cant get it to turn on and you are sure its not a battery issue, its toast imo. you tried what i would suggest. sorry

debrad0307

Reaction score
Are you running a custom rom? You may have to SBF back to stock.

Sent from my Synergized S3 using Tapatalk 2

OP
A

ASidewalkSymphony

Reaction score
Are you running a custom rom? You may have to SBF back to stock.

Nope. (Though the phone would glitch a lot? Like, if I tried running an app, and music at the same time, the music would start skipping or pausing for half a second and then finally just shut itself off.)

debrad0307

Reaction score
Nope. (Though the phone would glitch a lot? Like, if I tried running an app, and music at the same time, the music would start skipping or pausing for half a second and then finally just shut itself off.)

Your phone is done more than likely. Start looking at your options.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
If he can get into SBF mode he can flash. Any way, he just said the phone doesnt have a custom rom so it's irrelevant now.

maybe i worded it wrong, he pushed all the right buttons and the phone did nothing, i assumed he couldnt get into sbf mode either. my bad.

dst1980

Reaction score
I have a similar problem. Of note as an additional data point, when I pull the battery for a bit and plug in to a PC via USB THEN insert battery, the PC will see a USB device "OMAP3340" connect, and about 3 seconds later disconnect. About 3 seconds later, this cycle repeats. The phone does this about 20 times, then stops. If I pull the battery and disconnect the cable, it will repeat the cycle.

From other information I have seen, that indicates that the bootloader has been corrupted, and the phone is attempting to boot from MicroSD or USB. Does anyone know how to set up a MicroSD so that the phone will boot from that, or know how to run a USB serial boot?

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a similar problem. Of note as an additional data point, when I pull the battery for a bit and plug in to a PC via USB THEN insert battery, the PC will see a USB device "OMAP3340" connect, and about 3 seconds later disconnect. About 3 seconds later, this cycle repeats. The phone does this about 20 times, then stops. If I pull the battery and disconnect the cable, it will repeat the cycle.

From other information I have seen, that indicates that the bootloader has been corrupted, and the phone is attempting to boot from MicroSD or USB. Does anyone know how to set up a MicroSD so that the phone will boot from that, or know how to run a USB serial boot?

If you toasted your boot-loader you are pretty much SOL. Sorry! :(

dst1980

Reaction score
If you toasted your boot-loader you are pretty much SOL. Sorry! :(

This was actually the second time my Droid 3 did this. The first time, I let it sit a month or so, replaced the battery, and it decided to come back on its own. At that time, I was a bit short of the end of my contract, and I wanted away from Verizon anyway. If I can revive it again, and find it to be stable, I'll probably flash it so that it can go to AT&T or T-Mobile and then sell it. If not, then I'll figure out something else.