First Google Nexus Tablet May be a 7-Inch Asus-made Tablet; Coming May $200-250

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Asus-tablets.jpg

According to some new industry intel, the first Google Nexus tablet will indeed be an Asus product (as has been speculated previously). Additionally, the Asus Google Nexus tablet may be hitting stores in May at a $199.99 to $249.99 price-point. This could mean that they aren't sure which price they will sell it at, or it could mean that there will be two different versions with different storage capacities.

Further "rumint" suggested that both HTC and Acer where in talks to get first dibs on the first Google Nexus branded tablet, but Asus won the chance. Apparently the reason that Google chose Asus was,

...they didn’t reach an agreement because HTC didn’t want to “impair its brand image” by selling a low-cost tablet, and Acer didn’t have in-house R&D capabilities.

This seems to go against previous rumors suggesting that LG would get the "title shot", but this is likely not surprising. If this turns out true, and the tablet actually packs a decent punch at that price, we could see the first decent competitor to the iPad, or at least another option for the average consumer. What do you think?

Source: AndroidTablets.net via UnWiredView.com

Josefius

Reaction score
Looks like this could be my first Tablet, I was holding off until something came through worth my interest.

meishkov

Reaction score
Yea, been wanting to jump into a new tab soon, but don't think there's any way I could pass this up. Dang it, why can't it come out next week?? :)

Sent from my OG using DroidForums

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
I'll be keeping an eye on this, as $250 is the sweet spot for me. "Nexus" and "ASUS" in the same sentence? How could you not pay attention!

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Having read the UnWiredView story...

Asus, on the other hand, seems to have been the perfect partner for this project. The company hopes that this partnership will help it establish its brand on the US tablet market, and it should also learn a thing or two about software development after working so closely with Google.

I can now confidently conclude that the author has NO IDEA what he's talking about, or at the very least, has never heard of the TF101 and TF201 insanity that has happened two-years running. Anyone with half a brain can see that Asus has a very healthy tablet following in the US. Maybe it's a negligible fraction of the iPad market, but by any reasonable standard (e.g., compared to Motorola, Samsung, Acer, and HTC COMBINED) they are doing just fine.

-Matt

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
May would be PERFECT. Graduation money galore = so much nice tech stuff. :)

KingLo

Reaction score
Having read the UnWiredView story...

I can now confidently conclude that the author has NO IDEA what he's talking about, or at the very least, has never heard of the TF101 and TF201 insanity that has happened two-years running. Anyone with half a brain can see that Asus has a very healthy tablet following in the US. Maybe it's a negligible fraction of the iPad market, but by any reasonable standard (e.g., compared to Motorola, Samsung, Acer, and HTC COMBINED) they are doing just fine.

-Matt
Mainstream table market. Go ask someone who doesn't keep up with tech what the transformer prime is and they'll probably say something about Micheal Bay.

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
Good news, Asus makes some really nice tablets and don't overprice them like crazy (cough Samsung cough). Glad they stayed away from Moto, especially if they followed that ugly metal and rubber design of the Xyboard.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
The latest rumor has Google ditching the tegra3 in favor of an unknown processor and dropping the price to $149

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
The rumor mill gets more interesting each week, it would seem!

funwheeldrive

Reaction score
I guess they are doing that to undercut the kindle fire, but honestly I think 200 dollars is the tablet sweet spot. I don't want something super low price if it means a decrease in quality.