Asus in Fifth Place in Tablet Market; Plus Google Nexus Tablet, Jelly Bean & more!

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
asus-transformer-prime-infinity.jpg

In a recent PC World article we found a variety of intel ranging from Asus' future products, Android 5.0, the Google Nexus tablet name and more!

• First, according to the latest research numbers from IDC, Asus is now ranked fifth in tablet shipments world-wide. Here's the quote, "Asus ranked fifth in tablet shipments in both the U.S. and world in 2011 with a 2.3% share of the U.S. tablet market and a 2.5% share of the worldwide market." The article also suggested that Asus is rapidly moving up that list, and will rank higher this year. Kudos to Asus for coming a long way!

• Next, Asus is likely to be the first partner with Google for a Google tablet. Furthermore, the tablet will likely not be named the Google Nexus tablet as previous rumors suggested. Instead, the Asus made tablet will probably be called, The Google Play. This is obviously Google's way of creating a marketing theme to go with their new name switch for the Android Market. Further info seems to confirm previous rumors that this new Google Play Tablet will come with a Tegra 3 quad-core chip, Ice Cream Sandwich and will be priced at $200 dollars to compete with the Kindle Fire.

• There's still more interesting Asus news. Apparently, Asus has an even deeper partnership with Google beyond just the Google Play tablet. Supposedly, they are working directly with Google on the next iteration of Android 5.0, which will likely be known as Jelly Bean. Also, this report suggests that Jelly Bean will be ready for release in the Fall of this year.
Wow! How's that for some heavy news today? Yes, some of this was info we already had hints about, but it's still pretty exciting to see how things are evolving. It's sometimes great fun gleaning juicy details from the deep places of the internet! ;)

I wonder how much of this will actually come true? Share your ideas.

Source: TransformerForums via PCWorld

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Wow, I would have guesed for sure that Asus was the leading non-Apple tablet maker or...ooops, I mean second after the Nook Fire. I checked out the PCWorld report, but the IDC data don't appear to be readily available. That sucks. I wonder who 2, 3, and 4 are.

I also find it really surprising and disappointing that Asus' market share is ~2-3%. That is way below what I estimated.

-Matt

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
^^ I thought the same thing when I read this report. I couldn't find the IDC report it referenced either...

npro1464

Reaction score
Ugh, the "Google Play" thing is really getting old. Just call it the Nexus tablet or the Nexus Transformer, and call it a day. Drop this stupid "Play" thing. It's so silly.