Firefox Streaming Stick

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
[video=youtube;VS0VUOfrycw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS0VUOfrycw[/video]​
Looks like streaming devices are the next hot thing as every one is throwing their hat in the ring including Mozilla. Mozilla, maker of their popular firexox browser will look to bring their version of a streaming stick running Firefox OS. Will they be able to compete with an already saturated market with Roku, Amazon, Apple, and Google?

Time will tell, are you interested in the "Fire-Cast" (by the way Mozilla if you use that don't forget who dubbed it first ;) ).

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I don't think it has a shot at all. Google has name brand awareness to everyone. Apple has it to their sheeple with AppleTV which isn't doing so hot if I'm not mistaken. Roku has brand awareness too which is why Boxee has lost marketshare. If/when it comes to market I dont' think its going to do well unless they can hit the same price as a Chromcast but give functionality like a Roku. The Chromecast flooded the market because of 3 free months of Netflix. I have a Roku 3 and two Chromecasts. I love casting a youtube video up to show my wife or kids but I tend to use my Roku more now because its not dependent on having my phone or tablet out.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I don't think it has a shot at all. Google has name brand awareness to everyone. Apple has it to their sheeple with AppleTV which isn't doing so hot if I'm not mistaken. Roku has brand awareness too which is why Boxee has lost marketshare. If/when it comes to market I dont' think its going to do well unless they can hit the same price as a Chromcast but give functionality like a Roku. The Chromecast flooded the market because of 3 free months of Netflix. I have a Roku 3 and two Chromecasts. I love casting a youtube video up to show my wife or kids but I tend to use my Roku more now because its not dependent on having my phone or tablet out.

I agree. My roku 3 is also my primary device with my Chromecast being there to stream Google play movies.

Yeah I think in order for Mozilla to make a name they either need to low ball Google (which will be tough being Google already low balled themselves), find away to bring ESPN, NFL, mlb, and other sports to their box with our having to subscribe to a cable company (which also is impossible), or have a feature that sets it apart from every other stream box.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Ha ha ha!!!

Not sure why I laughed.

If you know what Plex, SabNZB, Sickbeard or NZBDrone and Couchpotato are, you know how I feel about streaming services.

Hopefully they do better than their attempt at a mobile OS.

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
Twitter
@AECRADIO
Don't forget 'Froogle'!
Or, for the Apple fans: Frapple

I am taking a wait and see approach to all of these 'services'...which will come out on top?
Time will tell.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
To the contrary. Apple has sold over 20 million Apple TV's which has generated over 1 Billion in content sales.

Google has sold just over 1 million units and Roku comes in at 8 million.

The + for Firefox, it will run Google apps.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
To the contrary. Apple has sold over 20 million Apple TV's which has generated over 1 Billion in content sales.

Google has sold just over 1 million units and Roku comes in at 8 million.

The + for Firefox, it will run Google apps.

Apple TV has been out for how long now? The Chromecast is less than a year old (oops, its actually one year old on the 24th of this month). The Apple TV first gen was back in 2007. Second gen in 2010 and thrid gen in 2012. 20 million across 7 years isn't much. But in classic Apple fashion, they haven't progressed in the technology. They were first on the scene but are stuck in first gear. Like iOS, its being overtaken and at a much faster pace.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Cook revealed that the product generated $1 billion in revenue during all of 2013, equating to about 10 million units sold during the year. We don’t know how many were sold before 2013, or how many have been sold yet this year, but we do know that Tim Cook no longer considers the device to be a hobby.

swc2001

Reaction score
I think it more boils down to who gets the easiest way of mirroring your device to the TV plus has the same functionality of the ROKU.
I know you "can" do this with the Chrome cast.... but only if your tech minded. they need it to where it will do All smart phones Apple included.
It needs to be easy and without root. A way that even grandma could do it. Then it will be successful.
My two cents worth.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Speaking of which, does anyone have a good method of mirroring your android screen to a computer without root, with audio and video (no sync issues please)???