Fine Scratches on screen

seminole1994

Reaction score
Hey guys Just wanted to drop some info.. I had got some fine scratches on my screen and I really have no clue how they got there but anyways I found out that If you run into that problem you can fix them ... I for the hell of it tried Mothers Aluminum Rim Polish with a Micro fiber cloth and those scratches came right out.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hey guys Just wanted to drop some info.. I had got some fine scratches on my screen and I really have no clue how they got there but anyways I found out that If you run into that problem you can fix them ... I for the hell of it tried Mothers Aluminum Rim Polish with a Micro fiber cloth and those scratches came right out.

Good to hear. I wonder if there is a coating that is scratching?

Anyway thanks for the info. I never would have thought of trying that. I mean it's a long way from a glass screen to an aluminum rim!!

OP
seminole1994

seminole1994

Reaction score
Good to hear. I wonder if there is a coating that is scratching?

Anyway thanks for the info. I never would have thought of trying that. I mean it's a long way from a glass screen to an aluminum rim!!

It might be a coating cause I couldn't feel the scratch's but you could see them when the sunlight hit the screen ... I had read somewhere on the net about Alum sulfate had something to do with these type of screens so I figured I try an Alum polish ..

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I thought I had some scratches before I got my screen protector, but they were just smudge lines that would not go away unless I added a little moist to the area and then rubbed off.

OP
seminole1994

seminole1994

Reaction score
I thought I had some scratches before I got my screen protector, but they were just smudge lines that would not go away unless I added a little moist to the area and then rubbed off.

Yeah these weren't smudges they were scratch's but really could only see them when the sun hit the screen..

Se7enLC

Reaction score
I've found that sandpaper works really well on even the deepest scratches if you're patient. Start with REALLY course sandpaper and work your way up to the fine ones. Wet sanding works best, so make sure it's really drenched - just dip the phone into a large bowl of water periodically

soulshot96

Reaction score
I've found that sandpaper works really well on even the deepest scratches if you're patient. Start with REALLY course sandpaper and work your way up to the fine ones. Wet sanding works best, so make sure it's really drenched - just dip the phone into a large bowl of water periodically

Is this a joke?

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
This is what I consider an advanced technique that should only be used when there are an extreme amount of scratches. This technique seems simple, but can be easily messed up by someone who doesn't know what they are doing. I've read many stories where people sanded the bezel and didn't realize it til they were done and blamed others for no warning them about this possibility.

soulshot96

Reaction score
Yeah dipping the phone in water? You'd have to be desperate, at least I would.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Yeah dipping the phone in water? You'd have to be desperate, at least I would.

I think they meant the face of the phone, but I wouldn't even recommend that especially with the curved glass of the nexus.

I think the best way to repair deep scratches would probably be clear nail polish, from what I've read it works. Just apply, let it dry, and then remove any excess around it with nail polish remover. I'm not sure if it effects screen responsiveness though

inyrules

Reaction score
It might be a coating cause I couldn't feel the scratch's but you could see them when the sunlight hit the screen ... I had read somewhere on the net about Alum sulfate had something to do with these type of screens so I figured I try an Alum polish ..

seminole1994,

I have the exact hairline scratch you had on your Nexus, and want to try your method. What was your process? Did you just dab a bit on the micro cloth and rub it in the scratch? Would love to know and try out before I put a screen protector on it. Thanks!

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
I have a small scratch on mine too, again, no idea where it came from since I really tried to baby it. I put a screen protector on it to prevent more scratches, but I might try this to see if I can get rid of it and put the protector back on. Thanks! Any tips on how you applied, other than just putting it on the cloth and polishing, would be appreciated.