FINAL ANSWER "update not available at this time'

expiditer

Reaction score
I spoke to Motorola today after TOTAL frustration with "update not available at this time". They "pushed the update to me several times but I NEVER received it. Finally got to a level 2 tech. He was able to access my phone to find, MOTOBLUR HAD NEVER BEEN SET UP. In older Droids this could have been fixed after activation, but not with BIONIC. He explained that when the phone was activated the store did not properly set it up, and it can only be done when activated. I had previously had several conversations with VERIZON who told me the phone was defective and offered to replace my 4 month old phone with a REFURB....unacceptable to me.

The ONLY option is to do a factory data reset. . So I downloaded mybackup pro (I have no affiliation with them) backed up the phone, and did a FDR and was immediately able to get the update. Motoblur set itself up on FDR and was not a separate step. I next re-downloaded Mybackup pro and did a COMPLETE RESTORE. I had never done a restore with this program, and It took about an hour for me to figure out and to finish. Still had to do a FEW tweaks like font size on a calendar program, BUT as far as I can tell I think I'm about 100% done

stratt28

Reaction score
I did the exact same thing with the factory reset which brought me up to .893. I must say that since doing the upgrade, my battery is lasting MUCH longer!!! I also uninstalled Advanced Task Killer after doing some research. Very happy now as my Bionic is my lifeline.

Last edited:

CurGeorge8

Reaction score
I'm kind of confused with the statement 'Motoblur had never been setup.' This isn't something that the store reps have to do, it should set itself up automatically when you OTA the phone.... Sounds more like a problem with the phone than an error at the store.

Cowpoke

Reaction score
From what I have heard it has more to do with the sim card never getting registered on Googles servers. It is registered with Vz of course so the phone works, but not on Google's servers, therefore there is a breakdown when it tries to authenticate for an update.

This apparently IS something that the rep can do during activation.

Only hole I see with this explanation is whether those updates sit on google or VZ servers, but even if on VZ servers I guess it could still have to autheticate with Goog.

"Didn't set up motoblur" doesn't make sense to me.

toyosup88

Reaction score
I used to get the same message...I unchecked sync with wifi only under battery and data manager and it fixed it. Worth a shot I guess

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
From what I have heard it has more to do with the sim card never getting registered on Googles servers. It is registered with Vz of course so the phone works, but not on Google's servers, therefore there is a breakdown when it tries to authenticate for an update.

And the procedure I heard on how to fix that was:

1) Power down phone
2) Remove battery and sim card
3_ Replace battery only and power up
4) Power down and remove battery
5) Replace both battery and sim card
6) Power up