Favorite Apps, Apps you use, Apps you recommend?

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
What I use:

Adao File Manager
AirSync (doubleTwist)
AndroZip
App 2 SD Pro
AudioGuru (used rarely)
Barcode Scanner
Beautiful Widgets
Bookmarks to SD (Dolphin Browser)
Boot Logo Changer (Would use if it had better logo designs. It's all crap logos at the moment)
Circle Battery Widget
Clockr
Clockr Evolution
Desktop VisualizeR
Dolphin Browser
doubleTwist (with AirSync)
Droid 2 Bootstrapper
Droid Overclock
DroidForums
Easy Filter
Facebook (could be better)
Gmote
Handcent SMS
Home Switcher (switch between Launcher Pro and stock)
Liberty Toolbox (needs more features)
LogMeIn with LogMeIn Ignition (without this I would have to turn on the programs on my laptop to turn on programs for my other remotes. this app helps me not have to be at my laptop to do all that work. I can control EVERY SINGLE THING on my laptop through my Droid 2)
Android Market (who doesn't use this?)
Minimalistic Text Preference Manager (pretty nifty)
mVideoPlayer (seems to have delays starting movie and audio isn't syncing with the movie properly)
MyBackup Root
Navigation (I see a lot of bad reviews for this one. Simple. People don't know how to properly use it)
OneSeven
Pandora
PowerAMP Pro
Remote for iTunes
Root Explorer (extremely helpful)
Espn Score Center
Shazam (only used twice and it does really work)
Shootme (Droid screenshots)
SMS Unread Count
Superuser (self-explainatory)
Tajm
Android Terminal Emulator (if knowledgable you can do so much with this Terminal)
Transdroid (experimenting with finding torrents for private sites)
Unified Remote (you'd be amaze with what this can do)
Usage Timelines Pro (let's me know when I'm using massive amounts of processing power and memory)
VLC Remote (tricky to use but very handy)
VLC S&C (also tricky and different functions than the VLC Remote)
What Is My Remote IP? (very handy when using remotes and Wifi-communicating)
WidgetLocker
Widgets
Widgetsoid
WIN-Remote (another remote that will do some amazing stuff)
Wireless Tether (haven't used this yet but will come in handy soon)
WMC-Remote (not to be confused with WIN-Remote. This is a Windows Media Player Control Remote)
XBMC Remote (why this app and the program for the laptop is hardly mentioned anywhere stumps me. this app has the potential to revolutionize the DISTANCE from our electronics with the push of a button to control a lot on the latop but mostly for media purposes)
XDA Forums
Yaaic (IRC program app)
uTorrent Remote (kind of like Transdroid but less features)

I've gone through several different apps (most not listed here) and didn't see the way something should work in a way I thought it would. But, overtime and sifting, testing, messing around with different apps these are the ones that keep me busy and really do open up new doors in the means of using it differently.

tb110895

Reaction score
some of my more productive apps
x)androidvnc- control your computer and programs from your phone
x)dolphin browser HD
x)drocap 2
x)droidforums
x)pocket Blu- A playstation 3 movie remote
x)wireless tether
x)widgetlocker
x)tapatalk pro
x)gallery 3d
x)launcherpro plus- an alternative to your homescreen
x) swipepad beta
x)circle launcher
x)Liberty Toolbox
I have most of the ones you have so I wasn't gonna name them all again

OP
TheSwaggeR

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
some of my more productive apps
x)androidvnc- control your computer and programs from your phone
x)dolphin browser HD
x)drocap 2
x)droidforums
x)pocket Blu- A playstation 3 movie remote
x)wireless tether
x)widgetlocker
x)tapatalk pro
x)gallery 3d
x)launcherpro plus- an alternative to your homescreen
x) swipepad beta
x)circle launcher
x)Liberty Toolbox
I have most of the ones you have so I wasn't gonna name them all again

Finally someone answers a thread of mine, lol. Felt like I was in a different world doing different things and no one had any inputs since they probably do everything different from me. I don't know. But, anyways, good deal! I love messing with those remote apps to control different programs on the PC/Laptop. Makes stuff so much easier while you're doing other things.

tb110895

Reaction score
Lol. Yeah, they do! My dad showed me that at first (we have the same phone) and I thought it was really cool. Took forever to set up, but still cool haha.

I had that XBMC remote and I tried to set it up on the computer, but I couldn't figure it out and I couldn't get the program on the computer to work so I just uninstalled it

Sent from my liberated Droid 2

OP
TheSwaggeR

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
Well I have XBMC and it works exactly the way I portrayed it to work. If you let me know what your issues are maybe I can work with you on getting the XBMC running if you're still interested in trying to get it to work.

Only downside to these remotes, that I haven't worked around just yet, is some remotes will not share port 8080 with another remote. So, let's say I've got Unified Remote running, but then I want to check on Transdroid and see how the downloads are going and search for a torrent to add, it will not run and present "Error in communicating." I believe these are port problems and can be fixed by assigning a higher port to each one BUT I think the issue also lies in the IP also. It'll design IP's like 192.168.1.7 and 192.168.1.2 to work with these remotes. I think there may be limits to how many can use either one. Not sure yet and still researching a lot about this problem. I'd like to use all remotes, or 2 at a time or whatever I need. Also, when I first got interested in remotes, I noticed a problem that really DEFEATS the purpose of a remote. Unified, Gmote, XBMC and other remotes require making sure your PC/Laptop is on and awake and requires each server app to be running in order to be able to control it on your Droid. Answer to that would be any remote that allows you to go into your directories manually. Like Unified Remote. I needed a more total control over this laptop with comfortability and that led me to LogMeIn with LogMeIn Ignition (it is $30 for the app on the Android Market, a slap to the face, but very well worth it!).

tb110895

Reaction score
I don't have 30 dollars for an app lol, I'm only 15. I'm still using the debit card I got with my rebate to buy my apps. I choose very carefully.

I try to start XBMC from the pc, but it sits there on the startup screen then closes. I don't know how to get it to work

tb110895

Reaction score
Since you know a lot about remotes, maybe you can find me a remote I've been looking for, or if one even exists. I have a remote app for my ps3 to watch movies in my living room, but I can find an app to control the xb360 in my room and I hate having to drop a bunch of money on a remote from the store as aposed to a dollar or two for one on the market

OP
TheSwaggeR

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
Well, if you didn't know, XBMC is the short abbreviation of Xbox Media Center. Unfortunately they dropped support for that and ported everything to Linux, Windows, Mac and made it a more of a stand-alone media controller for medias on the computer.

Good news is, it DOES work on only the original Xbox, not the Xbox 360. But this is an entirelly different group who got it working on the Xbox. Now, I believe the app I have (plus XBMC program) do have an extension that will pop up once running XBMC and would ask if you would like to make a media extension from the original to the PC to the Droid. Kind of complicated. I have Xbox 360, so I don't really use that.

So, to the bottom line, there isn't a proper well-coded Xbox 360 remote app out yet. Only ones I have seen are for Wii (Wiimote) and for PS3. Trust me, I'm keeping my eye on anything that comes out for Xbox 360 in a way to control it. The only thing that I've seen that is doable between the Droid 2 and the Xbox 360 is the Wireless Tethering that turns your phone into a router and you can play your Xbox 360 Live off that. That's the only thing I see going on between those 2 right now.

So, as for your XBMC issue, when you installed it after downloading did it successfully install everything? Did you download it through the XBMC site?

Here's some very useful instructions I looked through:
Setup_Instructions_9_11_and_later - android-xbmcremote - Setting up the remote with XBMC 9.11 final and later - Project Hosting on Google Code

Make sure you have the latest XBMC version for your PC:
Downloads | XBMC

tb110895

Reaction score
It said it installed sucsessfully and I did download it from the site. Ill try again with those instructions after school and post my results
When I did it the first time it installed fine then the startup screen was all messed up and it closed

OP
TheSwaggeR

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
Let me know how you make out this time.

Also, I just recently discovered that my doubleTwist Airsync Remote can control the Xbox 360 but only for media purpose. I don't know if this is what you're looking for or not. There isn't anything that actually controlls the game or reverses the idea of sending the Xbox 360 on-game image to the Droid 2 and play it on there. Or a Xbox 360 controller-like app to play your games.

Also, 2player app and Twonky (also TwonkyServer) are 2 other apps that seem to feature media controls for your Xbox 360.

OP
TheSwaggeR

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
Control movies on your Xbox 360 with a remote app? Yeah, that's part of the "media" I'm talking about. Media is movies, videos, clips, music, pictures, slideshows, etc.

To control a regular DVD player? As long as it supports Wifi then yes there are apps for that. XBMC, AirSync, and other apps can assist in remotely controlling that. And I also believe that streaming movies to a DVD player from your phone is possible with Wifi and 3G Hotspot and of course the DVD player having supported Wifi built into it.

OP
TheSwaggeR

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
I cant figure out how to control the movies? wheres the remote at?

In what manner are you trying to control movies? From remote on Droid to PC? Streaming from PC to Droid? Streaming from Droid to PC? Or other?

tb110895

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply. Im trying to get a remote to pause and play movies that are discs playing in the xbox