Factory resetting a Droid RAZR with a black screen.

AndroidKachi7

Reaction score
Can you guys give me button press instructions? I can't see what I'm doing on the recovery screen.. and I don't know what's on the list so I can select reset. The screen is dead and I want to sell it for parts without someone getting their hands on my information that was left on the phone.

jaybogg

Reaction score
Do you have a dock? Don't know if it would help but maybe some way to get a display from HDMI port.

Last edited:
OP
A

AndroidKachi7

Reaction score
Do you have a dock? Don't know if it would help but maybe some way to get a display from HDMI port.

Ah yes, I have the HDMI cable. But will it output anything on that screen..? Guess I'll have to find out.

OP
A

AndroidKachi7

Reaction score
Yep.. nothing is working. HDMI doesn't output when it goes to bootloader. Dammit.. I can see the display just fine, but the touch screen doesn't work on part of the screen that I need to unlock it. Ugh. I wish I could just plug it in to my laptop and factory reset it that way..

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Can you guys give me button press instructions? I can't see what I'm doing on the recovery screen.. and I don't know what's on the list so I can select reset. The screen is dead and I want to sell it for parts without someone getting their hands on my information that was left on the phone.

Give me a few minutes...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model

Give me a few minutes...

OK, I am going to assume you can get to the Boot Mode Selection Menu (BMSM = White text on Black background - but of course you can't see that...).

Once on the BMSM;

1. Press the Volume Down ONCE.
  2. Press the Volume UP ONCE.
  3. Wait at least 35 seconds (mine took 33 seconds for the Android ICON with the RED Triangle and Exclamation point to appear).
  4. Press BOTH Volume Up and Down, then release.
  5. You are now in Recovery.
  6. Press the Volume UP several times (just to make sure you are starting at the top of the list, in case you accidentally hit the Volume Down when pulling up the Recovery screen as I did once).
  7. Now...carefully press the Volume Down TWICE.
  8. Then press the Power Button ONCE.
  9. Next, press the Volume Down SEVEN (7) times (any number other than 7 will result in it going back to the previous menu, and then you'd have to hit Volume Down TWICE again and Power Button ONCE to get back here).
  10. Finally, press the Power Button ONCE and it will do the Factory Data Reset.
  11. Wait about 5 minutes to make sure the reset worked.
  12. Press Power Button ONCE to reboot.
Done.

If you have Clockworkmod Recovery installed, then I believe you can skip to step 7.

If you can't see the screen and need to get to the BMSM from a fully powered on phone, you can;
  1. Press and hold all three buttons, Power, Volume Up and Volume Down for 8-10 seconds (8 seconds worked for me, don't really need Volume Up but I find it's easier to do when making the transition to the next step).
  2. Then briefly release all three, and then press and hold all three again for at least another 5 seconds.
  3. You are now in the BMSM.
  4. Jump to step one in the first section.

Last edited:
OP
A

AndroidKachi7

Reaction score
Give me a few minutes...

Wow thanks FoxKat! I'll get on this as soon as possible. Hopefully I can know when I am on the boot mode selection menu.. because that's what I've been doing but I didn't know what to press. xD

But yeah, thanks again! :D

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model

Jeez, Caesars, where were you when I was trying to figure that all out? :D I could have used that and a couple screen captures to get the same results. Oh well, I got all the numbers of presses down anyway. I'm going to have to revamp those instructions and merge mine with them for the ultimate solution set. Thanks for the linky! ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Wow thanks FoxKat! I'll get on this as soon as possible. Hopefully I can know when I am on the boot mode selection menu.. because that's what I've been doing but I didn't know what to press. xD

But yeah, thanks again! :D

No problem, AndroidKachi. I'm here to support the members and help everyone have the best user experience possible. Good luck! :D

OP
A

AndroidKachi7

Reaction score
No problem, AndroidKachi. I'm here to support the members and help everyone have the best user experience possible. Good luck! :D

Geez, just when I thought I was gonna be able to do something about it, now it won't power on.. I think it had something to do with me turning it off and then charging it.. but now it won't even power on. Gah. Oh well.. Just gonna have to pay up the full 200 bucks for that new MAXX.